OBS Studio Reviews

Mandy Henriksen | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 17, 2020

Video Screen Recording for Business and Personal Use

OBS Studio is a fantastic screen-capturing program that is not utilized by my department or whole organization, but rather me personally in order to effectively teach my students various aspects of technology in the classroom. I utilize it to screen capture completing various step-by-step activities that I then create a video with in order to be able to constantly reuse them for future classes. It has done wonders for project completion in my classes! While the video is playing I can translate the information in Spanish for my non-English speaking students or even walk individual students through the process.
  • Ease of use.
  • Performance.
  • Overwhelming layout
  • Sometimes the program continues to screen record even when it has been stopped, saving way too many videos.
OBS Studio is a fantastic program to create screenshot videos that enable one to help create step-by-step videos for users. It could be quite beneficial for other uses, as well, especially those that are doing reviews or demonstrations for an internet following. Honestly, any type of video recording and streaming would find this program to be quite useful. Additionally, it would be useful for personal use and business!
Read Mandy Henriksen's full review
Steven Shulmister | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 19, 2020

OBS, the only studio you need!

We use OBS Studio to stream and record video footage of meetings, focus groups, and gameplay. (We do market research for video games.)
  • Very easy to add different sources for both video and audio and arrange them.
  • Easily convert (remix) recorded files into a different format.
  • Sometimes when you close the program, it doesn't fully close, which causes issues if you try to open it again. Then you need to force quit to resolve the issue.
  • Frequent updates, but they are pretty quick.
OBS Studio is really good for streaming and recording video, especially when you are pulling video and audio from multiple sources.
Read Steven Shulmister's full review
Travis Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 18, 2019

OBS Studio - Great option for those evaluating the ROI of streaming, or streaming veterans

Currently using OBS for our primary streaming software after Adobe's old software went obsolete and other options were too pricey or still couldn't manage what we needed. OBS is simple enough and delivers exactly what we need. It can handle multiple inputs and files to enable us to not need a switcher, but perfectly fine if you were using a switcher/single input setup. We also route separate audio in (not from the switcher/HDMI/SDI input device) and it handles multiple audio inputs great. Other options for stream size, bitrate, and other settings are super easy to find and use as well, and always get great output from OBS. Have been using it for big events with a ton of pressure from stakeholders, as well as simple webinar presentations. Maybe not as robust as some of the paid options, and only single destination streaming available, but usually that's all we need to worry about, so it's perfect for our needs.
  • Simple and ease of use - get streaming pretty quickly
  • Multiple options for sources - if the switcher goes down or you need to switch over to a different external input, you can default to another file or image, or just keep all your inputs 100% in OBS
  • Options for bitrate and output size easy to find and change - great if your internet signal isn't great, you can adjust accordingly
  • Being able to record simultaneously - eliminates the need for an external recorder
  • More control over queuing extra sources, if using a video file, perhaps timecode and countdown cues
From simple streaming to bigger events, OBS has been able to handle all of it with full confidence from us. Have never questioned if it was going to be unreliable in a specific situation, even with minimal training. Software identified the external input source easily and had no issues setting that up (Blackmagic Mini Recorder), and great for pulling in separate audio from the computer input.
Read Travis Gray's full review
Seth Paine | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 21, 2019

OBS, a powerful and free livestream solution

For a few months we had a live stream in our organization and we went back and forth between using OBS Studio and Google Hangouts. OBS was more complicated to use than Google Hangouts, but it is so much more flexible with what you can do with it as far as laying out elements like lower thirds, using whatever graphics you have, bringing in people with Skype, and the price is great, nothing can beat free. I am going to get back to doing live streams in the next month or two and I will be using OBS.
  • It is easy to start with a product that is free, there isn't the financial overhead to get started with it.
  • There are a lot of plugins that you can use to add lots of custom functionality. You can make your broadcasts whatever you want with it.
  • The quality of the videos that come out of OBS studio is very high, I am very happy with the results I get with it.
  • The UI can be improved, the layout can be made a little more intuitive
  • There is a high learning curve, the process of learning the program can be made easier
  • The process of installing and incorporating plugins can be improved.
I would recommend OBS to someone who wants to try a powerful livestream platform if they are a more technical person and are willing to spend time figuring out how to use the software. I would tell them that it is worth spending time with even if they don't keep using it, it helped me understand the whole livestream process because I was able to see how OBS works.
Read Seth Paine's full review

About OBS Studio

OBS Studio is free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.

OBS Studio Technical Details