Performance dashboard (101)
Top SQL (101)
Intelligent alerting (95)
Historical trend data (99)
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SolarWinds SQL Sentry, and make your voice heard!
Plan Explorer (SQL Server Query Tuning)
SQL Sentry for Azure SQL Database
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
SolarWinds SQL Sentry is designed to help data professionals optimize SQL Server database performance in physical, virtual, and cloud environments. SQL Sentry delivers metrics to help users find and fix database performance problems and provides scalability, boasting demonstrated success monitoring 800+ SQL Server instances with one monitoring database.
With SQL Sentry, the user can monitor:
- SQL Server
- Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- SQL Server on Hyper-V or VMware VMs (including host)
- SQL Server on Azure SQL Database Managed Instance
- SQL Server on Amazon RDS
- SQL Server on Amazon EC2
- SQL Server on Linux
Although a SQL Sentry license can be used to monitor Azure SQL Database in a hybrid environment, dedicated licensing is available for large Azure SQL Database environments.
- Supported: Performance dashboard
- Supported: Intelligent alerting
- Supported: Top SQL
- Supported: Historical trend data
- Supported: Virtualization support
- Supported: Query plan analysis
- Supported: Blocking and deadlock analysis
- Supported: Event Calendar
- Supported: Advisory Conditions
- Supported: AlwaysOn Availability Groups monitoring
- Supported: Index analysis
- Supported: Storage Forecasting
- Supported: SQL Sentry Portal (installed SQL Sentry web interface)
- Supported: Environment Health Overview
- Supported: Tempdb analysis
- Supported: SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) monitoring
- Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM)
The IDERA product isn't as reliable as SQL Sentry and its reporting isn't nearly as good. The IDERA UI is a resource hog and isn't as intuitive.
- Diagnostic Manager
The big difference in these products is support. Both of these products have bugs and in some cases stop functioning. You can rollback to prior versions but all of this is time spent on the tool as opposed to doing the job. The support provided by SQL Sentry is magnitudes better than the support we got from Diagnostic Manager.
- Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager
For SQL Managed Services providers, SQL Sentry shines in multi-client topology, thanks to their cloud monitoring.
I find the licensing models and subscription options available from SentryOne for SQL Sentry to be the best in the industry.
Account management support from SentryOne for SQL Sentry has been amazing. The team at SentryOne has been helpful, understanding and really involved in how we use the tool, and in enhancing our value proposition to clients with SQL Sentry.
- Redgate SQL Monitor and Idera
Idera was a very close contender. We had it installed and running against our production environment. The suite of tools is very robust. But their monitoring tool hit our CPU. Their engineers and we were never able to identify the cause of the issue.