Skip to main content
TextPad

TextPad

What is TextPad?

TextPad is a free and open source general purpose plain text file editor, for Windows.

What is TextPad?

TextPad Technical Details

Attribute Ratings

Gary Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use TextPad as my primary text editor for editing text files and viewing large log files. I have enabled the option to replace Notepad with TextPad since it starts up quickly and handles large files. There are many other options and plugins that make this the preferred quick editor.
  • Starts up very fast.
  • Handles large text files easily.
  • I would like a "delete non-bookmarked lines" so I can skip the "invert bookmarks" step.
  • The "Compare Text Files" could be streamlined to compare text in 2 tabs without going through the save steps.
I like the macro feature for transforming text. For example, taking a CSV file of data and quickly turning it into a set of SQL "insert" statements. Also, useful for this is the find/replace feature using regular expressions such as taking a URL QueryString and breaking all the parameters into separate lines and perhaps sorting them for review.
  • TextPad is reasonably priced.
  • The pricing/licensing model is fixed and is not subscription-based.
When you want to quickly edit a file, TextPad starts up quickly and has many features over Microsoft Notepad. Visual Studio Code is an alternative in that it is full-featured and will edit text files but is slower at startup. I prefer the macro feature in TextPad due to its simplicity.
I have had no need to contact TextPad support but their website provides support and forums.
Incentivized
I used TextPad all the time for searching for text throughout the code base, for finding and replacing across multiple files, and for meetings when I needed to type (translate) for a deaf coworker.
  • Quick to load.
  • Very fast searching algorithm for finding and replacing text.
  • Macros are very useful.
  • Some of the look and feel is a bit dated, but that's not what one would normally use this program for anyway.
If you have a large codebase I would highly recommend getting TextPad for your users. It is very fast and efficient and affordable.
  • Made my job easier, so I would say it had a positive return on investment. Especially for it's overall low cost.
Textpad and Notepad++ are by far my preferred programs to use for the development process.
I never had to use support, so I can't answer this. I would hope that it is good though.