February 14, 2017
Score 3 out of 10
USM Appliance (On-Premises)
Overall Satisfaction with AlienVault USM
We were previously a reseller of AlienVault USM, and we were working towards becoming a partner offering a service to clients within the UK. It is used for demonstration purposes across the whole of the organisation and is to demonstrate to prospective clients how the product exposes threats and how to overcome these within the USM.
- The OTX integration, allowing other users to share their business concerns and how they were detected then addressed.
- The multiple capabilities of the product, by offering integration of common security platforms into a single product.
- The ease of installation and setup, especially used as a VM.
- Whilst the initial support from AlienVault was good to start with, whilst we were looking to having an ACSE certified engineer, this has deteriorated over time.
- The investment made by my company has not paid off. We were initially to become resellers, and then move to becoming a service provider and partner. The promotion of our business through the AlienVault website, was non-existent for 8 months, which for the market of client, was difficult to promote ourselves without not seeming bona fide.
- WatchGuard XTM
AlienVault provides all of the functionality that most larger businesses would require from a USM, and its distinct advantage is the use of OTX within the system. I feel that it could provide services that are more common within an SME environment to be able to tailor for a wider scope. One feature I feel would be very beneficial is the use of URL filtering, and how that integrates within the USM. Blocking a website from a visit is a better prevention method than being aware of it once the request has already happened. Additional products would need to be connected and plugins created to allow this. Having said that, the range of plugins available is very substantial within the AlienVault product.
AlienVault is well suited for businesses that are hosted over multiple sites, and I believe it is aimed primarily at the larger organisations. Although I believe the product would be beneficial to SMEs (especially as security is a concern for all businesses, the pricing structure would be a cause for concern for many of these. Our vision was to provide these smaller businesses the opportunity of having the protection, but taking away the need for an internal security officer, which many businesses would not be able to constitute in their budget.