Keep calm and Autom(ate|ic) IT
June 16, 2021
Keep calm and Autom(ate|ic) IT
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Broadcom Automic Automation (formerly CA Automic Automation Platform)
We have been using Broadcom Automic Automation for over 15 years. Initially, it was mainly used in the automation of DWH/BI and controlling applications as well as in the area of managed file transfer. Then it was also used for the pre- and post-processing of application deployments. Broadcom Automic Automation has also been used to control SAP applications for about 5 years. We are currently implementing the additional solution Automic System Copy. For approximately 3 years, Broadcom Automic Automation has also been the backbone for our self-implemented "Software Defined Infrastructure" solution.
- Wide range of internal functions
- Many interfaces (incoming and outgoing)
- Modern, web-based user interface
- Strong roadmap with topics such as containerisation and AI
- High throughput possible (> 1 million executions per day)
- Support. Many companies, at least in Europe, now get support from resellers.
- The user interface is actually not well suited for non-technical users.
Do you think Broadcom Automic Automation delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Broadcom Automic Automation's feature set?
Did Broadcom Automic Automation live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Broadcom Automic Automation go as expected?
Would you buy Broadcom Automic Automation again?
The heart of Broadcom Automic Automation, the so-called Automation Engine, can be used for orchestration and as a process engine for a wide variety of purposes, such as workload automation, software deployment (release automation), and event-driven automation. I see the user interface as a disadvantage, as it is more geared towards technical users.
Broadcom Automic Automation Feature Ratings
Using Broadcom Automic Automation (formerly CA Automic Automation Platform)
400 - Most of the Broadcom Automic Automation users work in the IT sector, whether in development, production or cross-functional teams. There are also a few users from support.
10 - Depending on the organisation and requirements, you need different numbers of staff with different skills. First, you need people to deploy and administer the Broadcom Automic Automation platform. Then you need people with a 'developer mindset' to design the workflows in Broadcom Automic Automation. These employees can either work in a central team or distributed in the individual departments. And then you need staff for monitoring and operating, which can be done centrally in a control centre or departmentally.
- Workload Automation for Unix-/Linux-, Windows- and SAP-based applications
- Orchestration of the provisioning process for Software Defined Infrastructure
- We see Automic Automation Platform also an Integration Platform which can connect different services
- Software Deployment
- Container orchestration (in combintion with Kubernetes)
- Event-driven automation in cases of failures