Great for business news
June 10, 2016

Great for business news

Jacob Batchelor | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with Factiva

At Law360, a NexisLexis-owned legal news wire, we used Factiva to keep on top of news in various industries or for specific companies we were following—often, I'd check the alerts we had set up every hour or so to determine whether there was anything that we had missed in our searches of PACER and other news organizations. Overall, it acted as a failsafe and news source.
  • Putting broad swaths of news in one place
  • Organizing information
  • Constant updates
  • The UX leaves room to be desired
  • There are often repetitive entries
  • The functionality can be confusing
I often used Twitter as an alternative to Factiva. Additionally, I used a number of link-gathering resources such as Google alerts.
As I previously noted, Factiva was quite good at gathering and merging data from a particular set of sources (mostly business related). However, there is an opportunity for the software to become better at gathering and analyzing more social information, as well as news from non-traditional news or media outlets.
I often found it difficult to share out my reports with colleagues. However, I think that is more a function of the software's UX than a lack of inherent capability. It was there, just hard to use.
It seems well suited for gathering and analyzing business news and business information. That said, it leaves room to be desired in terms of any social media functionality or capturing emerging news sources. I don't recall Factiva picking up more specialized blogs or relatively recent entrants in to the news media world.

Factiva Feature Ratings

Pixel Perfect reports
Customizable dashboards
Report Formatting Templates
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Versioning
Report Delivery Scheduling
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Predictive Analytics
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Responsive Design for Web Access