September 19, 2016
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Kaltura
It's being used as a video repository and eventual warehouse for legacy video formats in order to transiiton from analog to digital. It also integrates into Canvas so that students can add their own video assets to assignments.
- Very robust SAAS platform. Lots of options for customization.
- Relatively stable and reliable. We did have one recent outage at a critical time.
- They continue to build on their feature list. A new video quiz feature was recently added.
- As it relates to the LMS integration, we would like to see improved workflow. But that may be just as much a Canvas issue as a Kaltura issue.
- I would like to see the ability to add inline, anchored comments to the video timeline.
- We are seeing issues with compatibility with certain browsers - especially Chrome. The faster Kaltura can move away from Flash the better.
- The capture appliance (CaptureSpace Lite) needs to be reconsidered. It's not intutive enough.
- Save tremendous money in converting learning spaces to digital.
- Created a culture of on-demand video which improves the overall attraction and retention of students.
- Supports our academic efforts and allows IT to maintain some control over video assets.
We considered a couple of options 2 years ago. One of those options has since been sold and dismantled. Kaltura was really the best product in this space. Now, Canvas is releasing its own video solution very soon and it has some nice workflow features. It remains to be seen if that solution will challenge Kaltura.