Overall Satisfaction with Microsoft BI
Microsoft BI is used intensely by Engineering department. The whole product is built around with Microsoft BI stack. The database is built using SQL Server 2008 R2 and cubes built using SSAS. Delivers the SaaS model of the company.
- Some of the rolling metrics calculations are performed using SSAS cubes. Eg: YoY, YTD, etc
- Slicing and Dicing of reports becomes increasingly simple with the SSAS cubes.
- ETL operations are made nimble with SQL server 2008 R2
- Some of the newer aggregation functions that are used in advanced analytics are missing. Eg: lastNonEmpty ()
- SSAS (from the BI Stack) adapters to interact with MPP are not entirely nimble
- Overall business went up with the analytics offered by MS BI but the licensing costs are a substantial number.