Overall Satisfaction with VMware vRealize Automation, with SaltStack Config
We use SaltStack to manage the configuration on over 100 CentOS virtual machines. It makes it so much easier to set up a new machine, as soon as it's on the network we Salt it and it configures NTP, DNS, user accounts, automounted NFS home drives. We also have base package sets for the different types of machines that we have and SaltStack installs them all based on the group they are in.
- Very easy to run a single command against multiple machines at once
- Low maintenance once after the initial configuration is done
- Very easy to install and configure clients (minions)
- There is a little bit of a learning curve to figure out the syntax to the configuration
- SaltStack has reduced the time it takes to deploy new machines for us 10-fold.
- It is much easier for us to maintain compliance with industry standards with SaltStack.
- No negative impacts!
We moved to SaltStack from Puppet about 3 years ago. Puppet just has too much of a learning curve and we inherited it from an old IT regime. We wanted something we could start fresh with. Our team has never looked back. SaltStack is so much easier for us to use and maintain.
We use SaltStack all the time but it is really handy when a new zero-day exploit has gets announced and we need to check package versions across a bunch of machines. We can easily check vulnerabilities by issuing one command on the master server. It's just as easy to patch the machines once you have a maintenance window. One command and it's done.