Great tool for Network Manager - SolarWinds NCM
April 13, 2021

Great tool for Network Manager - SolarWinds NCM

Wien Dai | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM)

We used SolarWinds for long time but just purchased NCM last year. We picked this module because we wanted to be able to manage our Cisco switches and firewall configuration and we achieved that goal.
I just used it in our infrastructure group. Before, all configurations were managed manually and we don't know who made the change at when. Now we can trace down the change. I can also deploy configuration change and pushed out to all switches/firewalls.
  • Easy to use. Very straight forward.
  • Able to trace the changes back.
  • Can deploy changes to large number of devices at one time.
  • Can compare configuration before and after.
  • Hope to improve the GUI so that I can expand a node and the details stay there.
  • NCM saved my time managing my network devices.
  • NCM gave me clear picture of device configuration changes.
Fairly important but not critical. Usually our cloud vendors monitor the network on their side.
Before using NCM, I was configuring all devices manually. It was time consuming to find out changes in the configuration. Sometimes, I missed backing up the configuration and caused trouble.
Now, with NCM, all the configurations are automatically backed up. I can mass-deploy configuration to all devices. I also can compare the configuration between different versions. These all saved me a lot of time!
Before using NCM, it's hard to keep configuration of each device to the standard configuration. Now with NCM, I can deploy the same configuration to all devices at once. That makes my job very easy!
  • SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
Our company uses NPM, Netflow Traffic Analyzer, NCM and Topology Mapper. With the combination of these modules, I can have a clear picture of my network. NPM gives me the real-time status of my network. I can locate a problem very quickly. Netflow Traffic Analyzer helps me look into the traffic and troubleshoot a network problem. NCM gives me the ability to change network configuration. Topology Mapper can draw a network diagram of my network to help me understand the network connections.
I haven't used other products.
This is the module I definitely will recommend. Before that, I can't do large configuration deployment. Now, it's very easy to do.
With NCM, I can compare the configuration of several versions. Look back from previous versions, I can find out what was changed easily. I can open two configurations and run the comparison.