Reviews (1-23 of 23)
- Easy to track configuration changes
- Allows us to manage our network device configurarations
- The interface is very easy to use
- When going to edit a node I often click on the node which brings up the details page then I have to hit edit node. I like the new drop down menu that allows a direct route to the edit node function.
- I don't like the new manage entities page, I prefer the old manage nodes interface.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "NCM - Remove the manual and tedious element to Multi-Vendor networks."
- Central repository for multi-vendor configurations.
- Automated backups of configurations.
- Configuration Compliance.
- Firmware Vulnerability.
- Device Lifecycles.
- Integration into the Core Orion platform. Central pane of glass.
- It's hard to fault the module. It's a must-have for any organization with a plethora of network devices.
- Our only gripe would be SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) sonar discovery places server nodes into NCM sometimes.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Extremely Satisfied with SolarWinds Network Compliance Manager"
- Automated equipment configuration backup -- This frees up tons of time for us in an environment where the configurations change frequently.
- Compliance checking [- This catches all the little things you may overlook when deploying a new device into your environment, especially when you are in a time crunch.
- Change comparison -- This is always a help when you can see side by side what changes have been made.
- Syslog -- The syslog server in this software is beyond compare when you need to search for specific events.
- More vendor specific equipment profiles would be a great benefit.
Review: "SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is a multi-vendor, multi-tool must have for all network administrators."
- Runs daily backups and stores them.
- Allows configuration jobs to be run against a subset of network devices.
- Provides reports of network devices that may be end-of-support or end-of-life.
- Interface for the configuration change jobs is a little clunky.
- Some of the information on the end-of-support device report is inaccurate.
- NCM provides backups of all network configs. which are easily accessible in the event of a disaster.
- NCM provides historical details on config. changes and who performed the change (assuming RADIUS/TACACS is being used).
- NCM provides detailed reports on config. backups as well as whether running configs were saved to the startup config.
- NCM provides a central console to deploy standard config. changes across hundreds of devices easily.
- The configuration of exclusions for which configs. are compared is often finicky. Example is the crypto keys and null lines cause comparison issues where NCM will constantly flag the running config. as not saved to the startup config. when in fact it is.
- NCM does not provide any warning prior to pushing configuration changes out. The same caution should be used as if you are directly connected to the switch as you can disconnect yourself and/or brick the end device.
- Backup configurations
- Search configurations for IP Addresses
- Alert to changes on devices
- Would be good to alert better when devices are not being backed up.
- The interface for viewing the configurations could be a little quicker to find things.
- It would be great if it could do realtime backups instead of on jobs.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "SolarWinds is an affordable and capable Network Configuration management solution."
- Once a device is connected, the regular config backups are super reliable.
- Like most SolarWinds products, the customizable dashboard works great.
- Change and policy reports are easy to find and read, and are automatically generated.
- NCM (and the thwack community) has great templates for a lot of the network equipment out there.
- We have a multi-context ASA that requires some fidgeting to get into NCM properly. Considering this is a pretty popular product (and one of the main reasons we purchased NCM), I would think this would be something SolarWinds could make more turnkey.
- On initial setup, the separation between adding something to Orion and allowing it to be managed by NCM was a little muddy. Now that I've been using it longer, this is obviously less of an issue, but it seems worth mentioning.
- I wish the Network Discovery worked a little better.
- Backups, Backups, Backups, NCM saves and deploys your configuration quickly.
- Management of allowing users to make changes.
- Identifying missing commands needed for security of your device.
- Setting up graphs/charts
- Configuring or displaying the devices using their network mapping tool
- I would like to see an easier setup to integrate all devices/nodes managed by NCM
- Upgrading the software can be painful if you don't pay attention
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "A great solution for getting all your network device configurations in one place for analysis and change management."
- Automatic backups of network switch configuration.
- Configuration comparison between switches or between time points on the same switch.
- Show mismatches between startup and running configurations on switches.
- Provides a repository of backups going back as long as desired.
- For larger configurations, loading the config for viewing can take significant time.
- Comparisons between configs can be slow to bring up.
Honestly, I doubt we use it to the extent that others do. If you are in need of a software that maintains a repository of network switch configurations over time, this software is perfect. If you're looking to baseline your configuration to aid in change management, this software is perfect. If you're looking to do comparisons between switches or between configurations of different ages on the same switch, this software is perfect.
I don't know what it wouldn't be good for. SolarWinds is always improving, and if you go on THWACK (SolarWinds user community) and make the request and if others like it, they may end up adding it. I've seen it happen more than once, and their responsiveness as a company is one reason I stay with them.
- Easy backup/archiving of running and startup configurations.
- Distribute broad configuration changes throughout the network with config change templated.
- Easily compare existing configuration between versions and devices.
- Firmware upgrade templates for most Cisco devices.
- UX can be clunky at times.
- Firmware upgrade feature- it's useful but very cumbersome to work deploy upgrades to multiple nodes.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "SolarWinds NCM saves us a significant amount of time"
- Back up network device configurations.
- Monitor changes to the network device configuration.
- Deploy firmware updates across multiple network devices via scripting.
- IOS vulnerability scanning not as up to date as our Tenable vulnerability findings.
- CLI Scripting lacks the ability to interrogate variables.
- It backs up the config files of our network equipment. It saves us from having to manually go to each device and do it.
- It helps us restore the configs if we ever have the need to.
- If we are getting ready to make a change, we can quickly have it grab a backup.
- The interface can be a little clunky at times, but we are also on an older version until we can upgrade our SQL database.
- Mass configuration deployment across different platforms.
- The automated process of taking the backup configuration of your devices.
- Complete config audit of all the devices.
- Save troubleshooting commands that can be executed in case of a triggered event.
- Creating audit reports in PDF form.
- Backup of Configurations - these are taken automatically on a regular schedule
- SNMPv3 Access to devices is easily managed.
- Visibility to current state of the device along with port mapping.
- Reporting hostnames of connected devices takes some configuring to get it to report well
- First load of the web server (Orion) can be time consuming, but is very responsive once loaded.
- helps streamlining configuration and logs, collecting in real time.
- simple to use, can be utilized as RSYSlog at some degree
- has ability to scale, and provides automation to Network Engineers.
- so far product can be integrated with many devices/vendors/etc..
- no comments on improvement yet
- to come
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "NCM - Great right now but would be better with firmware repository correction"
- Automated configuration backups.
- Repository of configuration for referencing.
- Compliance reports, with remediation capability.
- Firmware repository needs to allow for polling engines to be ignored.
- The interface could stand to be improved
- config backups tend to take a while to download in large environments like mine.
- Automated change manager. I can build my configuration change, schedule it for dark-30.
- I will be notified of any change in real-time. I also see the before/after view of the change,
- I can snapshot my configuration, and later run a before/after report to ensure the correct change was deployed.
- The configuration module could use some additional canned reports.
- The configuration comparison between two devices is not working for me. The previous versions were on the server, but since moving to a WebUI, some of that functionality is more difficult to use.
- More training videos are always beneficial.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Solarwinds NCM for rockstar configuration management"
- Backup of current running configuration
- Reporting any change to configuration and who made the change
- Searching and reporting specific configuration issues
- Creating and verifying new config scripts
- Web interface to hundreds of devices can sometimes be challenging
- Scheduled backups of your network devices.
- Side-by-side comparisons of your configs.
- Highlights changes in configs.
- The interface is messy and can be confusing because of it.
- It can be hard to find what you're looking for. They could create better titles or something.
- Comparing configs the first time can be confusing. Again, this could be because of the messy interface and confusing titles.
- You are no longer able to use a tool on your server to manage your configs. This was removed in recent versions. I preferred it over working with the web interface.
- Allows me to write changes offline in a safe environment
- Allows me to compare configs
- Allows me to verify compliance
- Automatically backs up both my running and startup configs daily
- Wireless Cisco Devices
- Cisco CUE
- Cisco CME
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "NCM - Great Config and Compliance Management Tool"
- Backups 95% of the devices I need it to.
- The compliance reporting is great.
- Being able to diff two configs is amazingly valuable.
- Main issue with NCM it it relies on its NPM underpinnings. The UI is kludgy - although this is reportedly fixed in a newer release
- The pre-built compliance rules are very Cisco centric.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Scorecard Summary
About SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
Network Configuration Manager enables IT Pros with:
- Out-of-the-box support for major network device vendors, including Cisco®, Juniper®, HP®, Huawei®, F5®, Avaya®, Ruckus®, and more.
- Automated bulk deployment of standardized device configs.
- Automatic backups of device configurations, and rollback to the last-known good configurations, if necessary.
- Identifying IOS® devices with potential vulnerabilities, utilizing the NIST CVE repository service, and even provides the tools to manage the investigation, remediation, or waiver of each vulnerability.
- Auditing device configs for NIST FISMA, DISA STIG, and DSS PCI compliance.
- Built on the Orion® Platform, NCM provides the ability to purchase and fully integrate with additional network monitoring modules (network performance monitoring, NetFlow traffic analysis, WAN management, VoIP, device tracking, and IP address management), as well as systems, storage, and virtualization management, all in a single web console.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Screenshots
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Video
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Downloadables
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Integrations
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Competitors
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Windows Server|