SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is network diagnostics and troubleshooting technology, from Austin-based SolarWinds.Config Management ClarityAs an MSP we utilize NCM within my department to backup network configurations and provide change control for customers globally. NCM provides checks and balances for configuration changes as well as historical information on who implemented what configuration change and whether they saved the changes to the startup config.,NCM provides backups of all network configs. which are easily accessible in the event of a disaster. NCM provides historical details on config. changes and who performed the change (assuming RADIUS/TACACS is being used). NCM provides detailed reports on config. backups as well as whether running configs were saved to the startup config. NCM provides a central console to deploy standard config. changes across hundreds of devices easily.,The configuration of exclusions for which configs. are compared is often finicky. Example is the crypto keys and null lines cause comparison issues where NCM will constantly flag the running config. as not saved to the startup config. when in fact it is. NCM does not provide any warning prior to pushing configuration changes out. The same caution should be used as if you are directly connected to the switch as you can disconnect yourself and/or brick the end device.,9,NCM provides solid backups and config. change control across hundreds of switches. I looked into other solutions to replace NCM however none of them can do what NCM does and that I currently need.,NCM - Great right now but would be better with firmware repository correctionWe currently use NCM (Network Configuration Manager) as our main configuration manager for our Networking department. We also use compliance reporting extensively and have recently been attempting to implement the firmware upgrade feature which is new (for us). We are currently having a problem getting it configured, due to the requirement of NCM being installed and reachable on ALL polling engines. This is not possible for us due to PCI compliance. At this time I'm only docking one star from my review for this reason, but I hope that support will help us overcome this obstacle.,Automated configuration backups. Repository of configuration for referencing. Compliance reports, with remediation capability.,Firmware repository needs to allow for polling engines to be ignored. The interface could stand to be improved config backups tend to take a while to download in large environments like mine.,9,Overall positive. Would like to use the firmware repository soon remediation script capabilities are great for compliance reporting,JIRA Software, TrelloSolarwinds Keeps Our Network on Base!We use NCM / Orion to manage backup configurations and baseline tracking of our infrastructure switches and firewalls. Configuration reviews are periodically undertaken and updates are easily managed through NCM. We also have visibility to suggested vulnerabilities that are reported against our respective devices.,Backup of Configurations - these are taken automatically on a regular schedule SNMPv3 Access to devices is easily managed. Visibility to current state of the device along with port mapping.,Reporting hostnames of connected devices takes some configuring to get it to report well First load of the web server (Orion) can be time consuming, but is very responsive once loaded.,9,Let us do a quick rollback to configure changes that didn’t have desired effects. Indicates where a configuration has deviated from baseline when there was no change management process followed.,SolarWinds IPAMSolarwinds Netwok Configuration Manager ModuleThe NCM used in collaboration with other Orion Modules. Utilized within the Technology unit. Helps gaining visibility and enhance change control & management processes.,helps streamlining configuration and logs, collecting in real time. simple to use, can be utilized as RSYSlog at some degree has ability to scale, and provides automation to Network Engineers.,so far product can be integrated with many devices/vendors/etc.. no comments on improvement yet to come,9,In this case, it is more about business values than ROI, the product is not that expensive does not require massive investment upfront. Technically the business objectives were met by having NCM to complement the rest of Orion Suite Helps with compliance and security posture = business value,,Cisco Unified Computing System Manager, Kaspersky Endpoint Security, SolarWinds IPAMSolarwinds NCM saved my job (and my network)Gone are the days of looking for that most recent configuration of your firewall, router or network switch. As an engineer, I can do so many things with SolarWinds NCM, without having to worry if the configuration backup is currently being archived, and when or where it has been stored. As a company subjected to audits, I have the ability to verify that changes were made correctly, and by whom. This makes management very happy. It also provides a "rollback" point should a change be made that causes things to break.,Automated change manager. I can build my configuration change, schedule it for dark-30. I will be notified of any change in real-time. I also see the before/after view of the change, I can snapshot my configuration, and later run a before/after report to ensure the correct change was deployed.,The configuration module could use some additional canned reports. The configuration comparison between two devices is not working for me. The previous versions were on the server, but since moving to a WebUI, some of that functionality is more difficult to use. More training videos are always beneficial.,10,On more that one occasion, I have needed to roll a config back. In the past, I would spend precious time looking for that config, only to find that is was months old, not reflecting the most recent archive. Other times, there was no backup. NCM is my most reliable assistant, backing up every device, on time, and storing those configs in an organized and logical manner. Last year, I needed to implement a NAC solution, and needed to inventory all the firmware on 35 devices. I launched a report and 4 minutes later had all the information I needed to move forward with the project. Real-time notifications keep me informed that things have changed. This reduced the time to firefight should that change cause things to break.,WhatsUp Gold and ManageEngine,Nagios, SecureWorks, Cisco IronPort Web Security Appliance, Mimecast Secure Email Gateway
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Reviews

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
Filter 38 vetted SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager reviews and ratings
Jon Liedtke profile photo
September 03, 2018

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Config Management Clarity"

• NCM provides backups of all network configs. which are easily accessible in the event of a disaster.
  • NCM provides historical details on config. changes and who performed the change (assuming RADIUS/TACACS is being used).
  • NCM provides detailed reports on config. backups as well as whether running configs were saved to the startup config.
  • NCM provides a central console to deploy standard config. changes across hundreds of devices easily.
  • The configuration of exclusions for which configs. are compared is often finicky. Example is the crypto keys and null lines cause comparison issues where NCM will constantly flag the running config. as not saved to the startup config. when in fact it is.
  • NCM does not provide any warning prior to pushing configuration changes out. The same caution should be used as if you are directly connected to the switch as you can disconnect yourself and/or brick the end device.
NCM is best suited for enterprise environments where config. backup and management of numerous devices is needed. In our environment we have 500+ devices in NCM.
Read Jon Liedtke's full review
June 25, 2018

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "NCM - Great right now but would be better with firmware repository correction"

• Automated configuration backups.
  • Repository of configuration for referencing.
  • Compliance reports, with remediation capability.
  • Firmware repository needs to allow for polling engines to be ignored.
  • The interface could stand to be improved
  • config backups tend to take a while to download in large environments like mine.
We use NCM extensively daily for our config management. Finding ACL and security vulnerabilities via compliance reporting allows us to quickly locate and correct vulnerabilities via remediation script. It's hard to name a specific scenario, as it's somewhat regular activity for us. Last week we were able to locate and update 137 firewalls that were missing statements in the configuration.
November 07, 2018

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Solarwinds Keeps Our Network on Base!"

• Backup of Configurations - these are taken automatically on a regular schedule
  • SNMPv3 Access to devices is easily managed.
  • Visibility to current state of the device along with port mapping.
  • Reporting hostnames of connected devices takes some configuring to get it to report well
  • First load of the web server (Orion) can be time consuming, but is very responsive once loaded.
Suited for any distributed network where visibility to your infrastructure and configurations is important.
Samuel Fershteyn profile photo
March 03, 2018

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Solarwinds Netwok Configuration Manager Module"

• helps streamlining configuration and logs, collecting in real time.
  • simple to use, can be utilized as RSYSlog at some degree
  • has ability to scale, and provides automation to Network Engineers.
  • so far product can be integrated with many devices/vendors/etc..
  • no comments on improvement yet
  • to come
well suited for small to large environments, helps controlling QA and configuration reliability
Read Samuel Fershteyn's full review
James Harrison, CISSP profile photo
November 27, 2017

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Solarwinds NCM saved my job (and my network)"

• Automated change manager. I can build my configuration change, schedule it for dark-30.
  • I will be notified of any change in real-time. I also see the before/after view of the change,
  • I can snapshot my configuration, and later run a before/after report to ensure the correct change was deployed.
  • The configuration module could use some additional canned reports.
  • The configuration comparison between two devices is not working for me. The previous versions were on the server, but since moving to a WebUI, some of that functionality is more difficult to use.
  • More training videos are always beneficial.
SolarWinds NCM is beneficial if there are more than a few network devices needing configuration management, archiving and restoration. It would not be much help if there are only one or two devices to manage.
Read James Harrison, CISSP's full review
Larry Scott profile photo
September 09, 2016

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Solarwinds NCM for rockstar configuration management"

NCM is used to manage and report on the configuration of all network switches and routers across the organization. It was used to assure consistent configuration and for remediation if a device was misconfigured. It was also used to update configurations across all devices when required.
  • Backup of current running configuration
  • Reporting any change to configuration and who made the change
  • Searching and reporting specific configuration issues
  • Creating and verifying new config scripts
  • Web interface to hundreds of devices can sometimes be challenging
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) is very good at creating backups of current running configurations, daily reporting changes to configurations and who made the change, reporting best practice configurations and any deviations from best practices, and remediating configuration across multiple devices for the same issue. NCM was extremely helpful in preparing reports for PCI compliance, for both current configurations and historical configurations during the previous reporting period.
Read Larry Scott's full review
Dan Lepinski profile photo
August 30, 2016

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "Backup your Network Devices!"

We currently use Solarwinds Network Configuration Manager to backup the network configurations on all of our Cisco devices. Once backed up, this allows us to review a device's configuration within SolarWinds, download it, compare it to a previous version of the config, or back it up to another location for disaster recovery. It can be a great fail safe if for some reason you accidentally copy a bad running config to start up.
  • Scheduled backups of your network devices.
  • Side-by-side comparisons of your configs.
  • Highlights changes in configs.
  • The interface is messy and can be confusing because of it.
  • It can be hard to find what you're looking for. They could create better titles or something.
  • Comparing configs the first time can be confusing. Again, this could be because of the messy interface and confusing titles.
  • You are no longer able to use a tool on your server to manage your configs. This was removed in recent versions. I preferred it over working with the web interface.
I've only used SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) to back up Cisco configurations. It works really well at doing this once you get everything set up and working. The user community is pretty strong. There's generally a wealth of information out there to help accomplish tasks within any SolarWinds product. If you need to back up network configs, this works great. You can access a nice text output of the config as well if you need to. It just takes some time and patience in getting everything working and understanding it. We're starting to use some Ubiquiti hardware now. I don't see us using NCM with that hardware.
Read Dan Lepinski's full review
Eric Moore profile photo
September 02, 2016

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "SolarWinds NCM for the Win"

I use it to manage all of my network devices that I can across the organization. It is a great safety net and auditing tool.
  • Allows me to write changes offline in a safe environment
  • Allows me to compare configs
  • Allows me to verify compliance
  • Automatically backs up both my running and startup configs daily
  • Wireless Cisco Devices
  • Cisco CUE
  • Cisco CME
[SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is well suited] Anywhere you have Cisco devices that need to be managed in a safe and reliable way.
Read Eric Moore's full review
August 30, 2016

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Review: "NCM - Great Config and Compliance Management Tool"

NCM is being used by the IT department to backup most network devices and parse through some of them to detect potential compliance issues - but not yet to auto remediate.
  • Backups 95% of the devices I need it to.
  • The compliance reporting is great.
  • Being able to diff two configs is amazingly valuable.
  • Main issue with NCM it it relies on its NPM underpinnings. The UI is kludgy - although this is reportedly fixed in a newer release
  • The pre-built compliance rules are very Cisco centric.
Anywhere Rancid is used or being considered, I would recommend SolarWinds Network Configuration (NCM) as a better product. It can do everything Rancid can, plus the support for auto-remediation and the point and click integration with other Orion tools makes its it very easy to spot when a config change was done and why it maybe screwed something up. It's a great tool if you are vendor neutral in your network infra; however if you tend to veer towards one vendor or another, its likely that the given vendor may have a better toolset - e.g. Cisco Prime.

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Scorecard Summary