A simple TIBCO BusinessConnect review for EDI and other protocols
Overall Satisfaction with TIBCO BusinessConnect
- TIBCO BusinessConnect has a good feature called smart routing. It allows users to route a preferred message to a selected downstream process instance. The routing rule could be set based on protocol, sender, receiver, direction, etc.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect supports EDI protocol very well. It allows a user to import EDI guidelines files to X12 Protocol. The guideline file will provide mapping from EDI to XML and also XML to EDI with validation.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect is easily integrated with other TIBCO products, like TIBCO ActiveMatrix BusinessWorks, TIBCO EMS, etc.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect's customized features need some improvements. The setting provided for some protocols is not flexible enough.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect supported the REST API with JSON message recently, but is still not very easy to use. The JSON parse and render needs to be enhanced.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect's admin GUI also needs some improvements. The job tracking and monitoring need to be enhanced and the also the scheduling needs to be enhanced.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect allows quick setup for the standard data exchange like EDI X12, which is heavily used in the utility industry.
- TIBCO BusinessConnect is preferred to use with other TIBCO products, like EMS and TIBCO BusinessWorks. It will be more effective, if other TIBCO products are planned to be used as well.
- The overall cost for all the TIBCO products may become high, if it's not heavily used. So TIBCO BusinessConnect may not be a good stand-alone tool to use.
If the environment has many different protocols for data exchange between partners and most of the protocols follow some standards like EDI X12, TIBCO BusinessConnect should be a good tool to take care this business use case.
If the environment has a few simple protocols for data exchange, e.g. SFTP, FTPS or emails, some lighter weight tools will be enough and TIBCO BusinessConnect may be an overkill tool.