DoD deployment works well.
September 28, 2015
DoD deployment works well.
Score 10 out of 10
- Studio Manager
- Citrix Director
Overall Satisfaction with XenApp
XenApp is deployed in a data center supporting Department of Defense clients. It supports multiple clients with a broad use base. The environment consists of developmental (sandbox), production, and test. Some clients are leveraging XenApp exclusively for published desktops and others are hosting workhorse development applications for SQL development. The goal is to allow effective consolidation of resources for multiple customers by leveraging shared resources.
- Application hosting: Citrix has been doing this for a long time, and they overcome the complaints and issues in the previous release with the return of XenApp in this newest version.
- Resource monitoring and load balancing.
- Administration: Application management is greatly improved in XenApp 7.6. Everything is consolidated into a single console and deploying groups of applications to users has continued to improve.
- More intuitive installation instructions, better documentation.
- Adding additional Delivery Controllers post initial configuration is a bear. It requires a complex series of steps to add each additional Controller if they are not configured during initial setup.
- Name changes to known products continues to be a problem for Citrix.
- Efficient deployment of individual licensed applications to multiple users. Reduces resource requirements and licensing fees.
- 6 is significantly lighter than previous versions. More users per dollar spent on hardware.
- Platinum support delivers great results.
The environment in which we deploy this solution spans multiple operating systems and requires special security requirements. XenApp scales well and overall has a great set of features that no other competition can compete with. They also price well at the corporate level which makes dynamic environments work well as they scale up.
Citrix Virtual Apps Feature Ratings
Issues with overlapping settings caused troubleshooting to be a problem during the early stages of deployment.
Change management was a minor issue with the implementation - XenApp has a lot of options that can conflict with one another when not configured properly. Make sure that you understand what each function does before flipping the switch.
Functions well in a Department of Defense environment, particularly when paired with a physical NetScaler that is FIPS compliant.
Like to use
Easy to use
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
Requires technical support
- Virtualized application hosting
- Hosted/shared desktops
- Basic server replication (deploying more XenApp servers based off a master image)