Reviews (1-9 of 9)
- VM Backups - very strog
- Sandbox - system has tools to test restore procedures
- Versioning - ability to choose from numerous backup versions quickly and efficiently
- File backup - currently there is no way to backup/restore any individual files
- Bare Metal - Altaro is great at VM backups, but no bare metal capabilities
If you want to back up a large number of VMs, you will see those policy assignments becoming a pain, and you may face corruptions.
- Altaro VM Backup was chosen as our backup solution for our physical VM host servers to backup the many virtual machines we had. We wanted this solution as the setup was fast and straightforward, and we were backing up within 10 minutes! It also helped that the product was very reasonably priced, and licensing was simple to understand.
- Restoring is also super comfortable, with various options to restore as a clone for quick testing, restore individual virtual disks, or maybe restore just some files or exchange items. Or failing that, if you don't have time to do a complete restore, boot from the backup. Altaro VM Backup can also be set to test and verify backups, so you know that you have valid backups on hand.
- The licensing covers either VMware or Hyper-V HyperVisors are making it easy to learn one product and use it across various platforms.
- Over the years, a constant stream of added features or enhancements has been made to ensure this product is relevant and adding value. Some of the notable improvements/features added have been Data Deduplication, Offsite copies (remote Altaro and now Azure) with WAN acceleration (Altaro server), Constant Data Protection, Cloud management, and many more.
- Fast and simple setup. I didn't need to read through ANY documentation to set up and have a backup running.
- Easy and cost-effective licensing. I didn't need to count CPU's or VM's or other random facts to work out my licensing. Just how many hosts, and then one of 3 feature levels of which two have unlimited VM licensing. Hosts x Feature Set = Cost.
- Easy Restores. Backing up is one thing, but restoring and having confidence in the restore is another. It just works, simple and effective.
- Help is easy to find if you need it. From within the app, it gives you options of email, phone, and live chat, which is usually available even with odd time zones in play.
- More cloud-based storage options. Currently, only Azure is supported, which is excellent, but it would be good to have AWS and Google storage options too.
- It would be AWESOME if they could do a restore from Azure cloud direct to an Azure VM instance. Currently, you need to set up an Azure VM machine with nested Hyper-V, install Altaro on that, and then restore into a nested VM, this gets crazy expensive.
- Better notification of errors, or more around having a threshold, so if it misses one backup of a constant backup that happens every 5 minutes but recovers at the 10 minutes back, it is ok. Just think it needs to identify significant or long-running issues better than the occasional little issues.
- Within our SMB space, it is a perfect solution as it's simple to set up and use for either VMware or Hyper-V hosts. The licensing is simple to understand, and purchasing is secure either direct from Altaro VM Backup or via their worldwide resellers.
- The options for where to backup is good, local USB drives, network drives, offsite Altaro VM Backup server, and recently Azure cloud storage.
- Testing of backups is easy, restore as clone, start Altaro VM Backup and check it (it disables the network on these) for accuracy and function.
- Data Deduplication means less storage than is being backed up, even with versioning enabled.
- The only scenario I'm not sure of its suitability would be when there are lots of physical hosts. Where it may be cumbersome track and control many physical hosts, Although Altaro has its Cloud Management Console to do precisely that. I haven't used this, so can't provide much insight.
- Luckily I have only had to use support two times since using Altaro VM Backup for more than five years. Both times was quick and easy to get some information and links to the relevant KB articles they had to resolve my issue.
- Last time I contacted support, they also gave me an option to do a remote session so they could help resolve the issue for me.
Altaro VM Backup Scorecard Summary
What is Altaro VM Backup?
Altaro VM Backup is a virtual machine backup and replication solution for Hyper-V and VMware environments. The vendor reports that It is used by 50,000+ businesses worldwide.
Designed for IT departments, IT resellers, IT consultants and Managed Service Providers (MSPs), the solution provides robust, streamlined, enterprise-level functionality. It’s characterized by ease of use, speed and affordability.
With its WAN-Optimized Replication and Continuous Data Protection (CDP), the vendor claim that companies can achieve minimal RPO and RTO, i.e., drastically reduce the length of time virtual machines are down and the amount of data lost when disaster strikes – to just minutes.
According to the vendor, Altaro’s Augmented Inline Deduplication slashes storage costs.
For organizations with multiple sites, Altaro provides a cloud-based management platform that gives a central view of all installations. This gives Altaro IT resellers/consultants a centralized multi-tenant view across all their customers.
The vendor promises that Altaro provides 24/7 support, with a Lightning Fast Support Call Response Guarantee of <30 seconds.
Altaro VM Backup Competitors
Altaro VM Backup Pricing
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
|Subscription License - Standard Edition||59.80||per VM/per year|
|Subscription License - Unlimited Edition||73.80||per VM/per year|
|Subscription License - Unlimited Plus Edition||89.20||per VM/per year|
|Perpetual License - Standard Edition||$595||per host|
|Perpetual License - Unlimited Edition||$695||per host|
|Perpetual License - Unlimited Plus Edition||$875||per host|
Altaro VM Backup Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Altaro VM Backup Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Hyper-V, VMware|