Barracuda Email Security Service Reviews

Timothy Good | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 24, 2019

Bang for your buck

We migrated from this to the big box Proofpoint. We were sold on all the bells and whistles. And I can honestly say this did a better job for our organizational size.
  • Support
  • Delegated management
  • Domain customizations
  • Support needs to be better, but they knew we were leaving them and that might be why the support suffered.
  • Access to hidden features.
  • Better scanning of large mail messages.
If you provide infrastructure as a service, this is the best product of you. Tons of storage as well.
Read Timothy Good's full review
Through this application, I can keep my computer and system safe during its time of use and it is very helpful when detecting any threat as it has done in my system since its installation, I no longer have any problem due to the damage to my software since Barracuda protects my computer without any problem. In addition to everything with its functionalities, our company has been able to benefit successfully since our teams are in their most optimal operation, giving them better benefit and long duration and not worrying about any type of hacking, thanks to Barracuda we can be calm whenever we navigate in the network without being infected by malware.
  • I love it because it gives me a lot of security, it is very advanced and it allows me to protect my system.
  • I can also navigate secretly through its platforms that give me security by creating copies of secure and verified links to be in the network always protected under The guardianship of security experts, I can also control or block unwanted pages through the settings that this wonderful system gives me.
  • As well as, I can delete any document or file that I have had for a long time, its login on my computer through its operating systems on my PCs, Macs, Android or iOS is of excellent execution.
  • Once installed on the computer, it starts its perimeter scan to publicize the vulnerabilities that exist in my computers as well as an IP or VPN system that allows me to access blocked pages according to my geographical location.
  • Barracuda is an excellent software but it usually presents perimeter scanner failures since it does not cover adjacent dangers in the network that can also affect or be the victim of hackers of my computers in the long term.
It has problems and throws inconvenience to users when migrating from a mobile device to windows, making the installation and its use inside the computer affected by problems of downloading, installing or starting the product.
Our entire organization consisting of Police, Fire, Public Works, IT, Community Development, Park, etc., are affected by the use of our Barracuda Email Gateway. We have been using our appliance and recently cloud service for around 10 years. The gateway helps remove nearly all malicious messages including phishing.
  • The intent analysis has learned what types of messages are malicious and stops most phishing emails.
  • Barracuda is frequently updating and adding new security features.
  • The cloud gateway was recently added a part of the energize updates. This keeps all malicious emails away from our network before sending the emails to our on premise appliance.
  • The appliance has a feature to block all office macros. This is a great feature but only has an on/off setting. I would like to see the additional of allowing exclusions for users who need to receive office macros.
  • The feature for email encryption is great and allows us to not require an additional product or service for this. Unfortunately this is similar to the office macro feature and does not allow exclusions. The setting automatically detects information like credit cards, social security numbers, and other sensitive information. I have a user who works with Japanese companies. Japanese phone numbers apparently trigger the SSN filter. I wish I could put an exclusion in for this recipient or sender.
  • I wish the appliance had an auto firmware update option. Where non major releases would be automatically installed.
The Barracuda Email Security gateway is very easy to manage and does not need constant babysitting. The system learns what types of scams are currently seen and blocks them through specific algorithms. The gateway also has a heuristic feature where it can learn what types of emails your organization receives and filter based on the learning. I have managed other spam filters and highly recommend the Barracuda due to ease of use.
Our Barracuda Email Security device is currently in use by our entire organization, it provides a solid email security platform, with an easy to use interface.
  • Spam Filtering
  • Good Support
  • We occasionally have some performance issues, with slow filtering, but i am sure that can be solved by upgrading the appliance.
It is well suited to use as the main gateway from your email server to the outside world. It can filter and scan both incoming and outgoing mail.
Bear Golightly | TrustRadius Reviewer
Barracuda Email Security Service (ESS) is the anti-spam, anti-phishing, and general anti-bad stuff product in use by the entire organization since early 2017. The heuristics, content/sender policies and sandboxing help us solve the complex problem of "how do you stop the entire Internet from trying to kill you and/or rob you via email?"
  • ESS has a simple interface for both users and administrators.
  • The "Manage Quarantine" button in each email is a direct sign-on link, so users don't have to remember their password to manage their quarantine (this is GOLD, Jerry!).
  • The baseline functionality (catching spam/malware/phishing/malware attachments/malformed PDFs etc) is super-solid, with few false positives and few false negatives.
  • Barracuda's Multi Factor Authentication is terrible, I had to get my MFA removed by support because it would consistently fail to work.
  • The web interface is a bit dated and occasionally does weird things when you click it - it's a unified console for all Barracuda products, not just ESS.
  • Complete lack of geoblocking features. We would love to block countries we don't do business with, but that's not an option.
  • No Outlook plugin for the ESS cloud service; all blacklist/whitelist/etc must be done via the web interface
ESS is well-suited for any on-prem or cloud hosted email that doesn't include anti-spam/malware/phishing security- if you use e.g. Google G-Suite, ESS might not be for you!
Read Bear Golightly's full review
Shawn Umansky | TrustRadius Reviewer
It has been a great service for us. We use it to protect our users against malicious emails and phishing attacks.
  • The rate control feature is very effective at limiting large amounts of spam from ending up in user inboxes.
  • The management console is very intuitive and easy to navigate.
  • Technical support is extremely valuable and wait times are very low.
  • The price point continues to be very competitive.
  • I don't have anything negative to say. It works pretty well.
If you are a small to mid size company who need email security that is easy to manage without breaking the bank, this is a good fit for you.
Read Shawn Umansky's full review
Jackie Ramos | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using it for the whole organization. We recently upgraded and added more services like Barracuda Sentinel. We addressed the phishing issues that our exec teams were experiencing. We are now backing up everything. Including MS OneDrive. Searching in the Cloud is so much quicker now.
  • Very good at scanning and Stopping bad phishing and spam emails.
  • We are able to control the volume of emails going out and coming into system.
  • We are able to set up reports for the end users on what is getting blocked and then are able to release them.
  • When doing a mass email, it's very restrictive and I could not make the needed changes myself. Had to call and get them to make the needed changes for outbound mail.
  • When a bounce back message hit the users - it makes it seem that the entire mass mailing didn't go out. We always have to explain that it was maybe one or two emails that had an issue.
  • Had an issue where our out external email out of office message was hitting the end user spam.
It does its job by stopping everything that's spam and phishing. Which is one of the reasons we got it. It's also a great way of archiving old emails and searching for them anywhere. We are also using it to backup our SharePoint data. Which is great.
Read Jackie Ramos's full review
Rick Sherman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Barracuda Email Security Service is utilized across the enterprise. All email coming in or out go through Barracuda to be scanned for viruses, DLP, spam, phishing campaigns, and malware. The best part is Barracuda manages the service so any updates are done by them. We set the aggression level and let it do its job. We are pleased with the product and service which is why we are a multi year user.
  • Easy to use and Configure
  • Set it an forget it
  • Initial setup was painless.
  • Interface can improve for navigation.
  • Message log should be a tab in itself.
  • Threats/Viruses detected should be moved up on the ESS dashboard. It should be one of the first things I see on the dashboard.
It's easy to deploy and configure. Does a great job showing what's been blocked and what's been delivered to the end user. Easy to search emails after you find the delivery log. It takes some time and it would be great if accessing the log was as easy as selecting a tab at the top of the page.
Read Rick Sherman's full review
Dustin Brilliant | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use this product and absolutely love it. It's saved us a lot of time and saved a lot of space on the Exchange server/email server. If someone needs an old email that Outlook can't find, Barracuda will find that email from way back.
  • A great search tool for old emails.
  • SPAM control.
  • Great threat control/SPAM-Phishing mitigation.
  • I'd add room for improvement in the Inbound Sender Policies. After 500 entries or 1000, this console is crawling.
We currently use this product, and absolutely love it. It's saved us a lot of time and reduced a lot of space on the Exchange server/email server. If someone needs an old email that Outlook can't find, you'll bet your bottom dollar that it will find that email from way back. And, may I add, any time we've encountered the need for speaking to an Engineer at Barracuda, we get a call ASAP in 5-15 minutes. This is stellar on their part, keep it up.
Read Dustin Brilliant's full review
Barracuda Email Security Service is being used by our organization as an Email spam filter, as well as handling everything related to regional policies, sender policies, inbound and outbound settings. It is also being used to scan attachments using the ATP scanning capability. We also are implementing the content policies as well.
  • Message Log is easy to use.
  • Support is amazing.
  • Policies are easy to set and implement.
  • UI could use some improvement.
  • Client side configuration is not as optimal as it should be.
Barracuda Email Security Service is well suited for a larger business environment or a Managed Service Provider who supports multiple clients. Barracuda Email Security Service would not be well suited for a small environment or a small business. It would be way too much for a small business and it wouldn't be utilized to its full potential.
Alex Leung | TrustRadius Reviewer
Barracuda is currently used to filter our emails, both inbound and outbound. It helps us eliminate the hundreds of thousands of spam, scams, and malware coming in to our email users. Without it our users email inboxes would be so full of junk that we could not carry on business in an very efficient way at all.
  • It helps us eliminate the hundreds of thousands of spam, scams, and malware coming in to our email users.
  • it is easy to find blocked emails and whitelist them.
  • Ease of navigation of UI. Ability to specify message content filter allow actions by subject, header, body, attachments, etc.
  • Great Tech Support. I have always been able to call or email and get a prompt answer from their technician who is understandable and knowledgeable. I have found them willing to answer questions and provide some education at the same time.
  • The annual renewal prices could be better, but for the quality of the product we don't even hesitate to renew it annually.
  • The UI isn't completely Robust, but once you get used to it it's great!
  • Cannot access quarantined email from mobile phone
Barracuda Email Security Service is well suited for the small & medium business. Phishing and malware intrusions are being blocked immensely, which is lessening the strain on our AV. This is no substitute but a great item to team on your network. We have been using our Barracuda Email Security Gateway for years, it provides a good level of mail filtering, with a easy to use interface. Never had any problems with up time, and processes around 10k mails a day.
Read Alex Leung's full review
We use Barracuda to screen our email before it reaches the employees inboxes. It is being used organisation wide to offer full protection. We use it to protect us against phishing scams, viruses and ransom wear. It also helps to clear up unwanted emails that make it through the Office 365 spam filters.
  • Stops unwanted emails coming through to your inbox, it does this by holding them in a 'quarantine' folder for you to then check and allow or deny.
  • Protects against phishing and ransomware attacks.
  • Stops employees clicking on dangerous links in emails by putting them in a secure place.
  • You need to take time in adding your contacts to a whitelist so that you don't miss an email.
  • I recommend changing the time interval; Barracuda notifies you that you have quarantined emails as we were only getting 1 per day and we missed some urgent emails.
  • The quarantine folder is web based, we'd prefer it to have been an add-in for Outlook.
Barracuda is extremely well suited at stopping spam/phishing/ransomware attacks via email. It is also clever enough to know if you get an 'internal' email which has originated from the outside by someone masking their email address and stopping these getting through.
Andrew Murphy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Barracuda Email Security Gateway. We use both cloud and a local virtual appliance. This is being used by our entire company. All of our inbound and outbound filters go through the gateways. Inbound goes through both and outbound only goes out the local virtual appliance. This reduces spam that our users receive.
  • Spam Reduction.
  • Sender and Receiver Filters.
  • Also blocks Virus
  • Message log that includes the whole email.
  • Easier escalation to Level 2 support would be nice. Most problems are resolved by Level 1.
  • It would be nice to be able to search the local virtual appliance message log for all fields like you can the cloud version.
This is a great product for a small IT department. It helps eliminate both spam and virus. It changes all links in an email to links running through the barracuda for security. Don't get me wrong, you will still get spam but a lot of it will be blocked. With a small IT department, you can set it up and let it run with minimal administration.
Read Andrew Murphy's full review
Jeff Daniels | TrustRadius Reviewer
When we decided to switch to Office 365 we decided we wanted to add an additional service for email security. All of our incoming mail goes to the Barrcauda ESS first, before going to out Office 365 tenant for delivery. The email for all our users goes through the service.
  • Ease of implementation - Barracuda ESS was amazingly simple to set up. We had it up and running in under a day.
  • Cost effective - Barracuda ESS is very reasonable in terms of price compared to some of the other available options.
  • Good filtering - Barracuda ESS does a good job of filtering out unwanted and/or dangerous email.
  • False positives - While small, use of Barracuda ESS does result in some false positives. Sometimes it is not clear why a particular message was flagged.
  • Configuration - Some of the features of Barracuda ESS are a little obscure in their configuration. Barracuda has made improvements in this since we started using the service.
  • Interface - The interface is a little cluttered.
Barracuda Email Security Service (ESS) is very well suited for the small and medium business market where you do not require advanced features. Other services provide more functionality in terms of encryption and archiving, especially with respect to legal requirements for mail retention and holding pens for mail if your delivery service fails.
Read Jeff Daniels's full review
Barracuda ESS is used throughout our entire organization as the main protection again malware and spam. Prior to this we utilized Trendmicro, which we found did not grab as many messages as expected, leaving a lot of spam and malicious emails to come through our network and to our users.
  • Easy to setup and implement, we had the solution up and running and filtering our email within two hours
  • Very easy to administer and modify filtering rules - administration interface is very intuitive and allows you easy control over what you do and don't want to come through to your users.
  • Transparent to users - users don't have to worry about quarantine (though you can configure quarantine in Barracuda) - so as far as they know, their spam decreased and we know that our users are better protected.
  • Administrative interface can be a bit laggy at times loading data - sometimes you may have to refresh a page a few times to get the data to show up
  • The filtering system has gone down one time since we've been on it for longer than 4 hours. Having better redundancy or communication with end users during this time would have helped.
If you want a system that can be up and running in very little time, comes with fast controls to block a large majority of spam, and keeps itself updated constantly to ensure it is able to detect the latest spam - then Barracuda ESS is for you.

If you're OK with an occasional administrative portal glitch or some setup time in whitelist/blacklisting entries that are missed by the main filter, then Barracuda ESS is for you.
Robert Cabrera | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize the Barracuda ESS across our whole organization to minimize not only SPAM, viruses threats, email spoofing, phishing but as well as an additional layer of protection with its spooling feature. The portal allows for a great ability in troubleshooting NDR's and the like. This allows us to minimize any business disruptions from undeliverable false positives and any important deferred messages.
  • Technical support and service is 1st class!
  • Consistency in its interface is very stable
  • great ease of use.
  • One item I would like to see improved is the simplicity of opening a ticket right from a particular email in the message log for false positive reviews.
Read Robert Cabrera's full review
Derek Schroeder | TrustRadius Reviewer
Barracuda Email Security Services are in use by my company with the online Essentials flavor. It has been implemented by a number of my clients with the Essentials or the on-premises options. Both options include inbound and outbound spam filtering as well as options for content filtering and outbound encryption services. The entire organization's email goes through this system and several departments utilize the outbound encryption for secure transmission.
  • Inbound filtering, including attachment and text parsing customization. This allows further customization to quarantine or block based on this criteria as well as customized "spam digest" reports that can be sent once or multiple times a day at custom intervals.
  • Outbound encryption feature includes option to send email securely. The on-premises appliance also has an Outlook add-in that allows a button click to enable encryption for the specific email, while Essentials offers a "tag line" in the subject or body to enable encryption.
  • AntiVirus and Advanced Threat Detection prevent numerous malicious emails from ever entering the email system.
  • The online Essentials flavor does not have the Outlook add-in button to enable outbound email encryption. This feature is very easy to use for end users versus the "tag line" that must be inserted into the subject or body of the email. This is a 2018 feature request that is on their roadmap.
Any company would be a good fit for this service as it does a superb job of blocking spam messages.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review

Sandboxing (7)
End-to-End Encryption (8)
Management Tools (9)

About Barracuda Email Security Service

Barracuda offers their hosted Email Security Service as a secure email gateway.