IBM Cloudant Reviews

Nicolas Peeters | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 13, 2020

Scaling our data layer without headaches

Scalability

In general, Cloudant feels very stable with large volumes of data (specifically with the multi-tenant setup). It allows us to scale our growth in the terms of transactions (summer months in our operation) without too many headaches.

- Pure response time speed is actually something to be improved.
- The performance of the Dashboard (especially with a lot of databases) needs improvement.

There are a few cases where we noticed issues: some replication jobs were not properly triggered (this is a long standing issue that we are dealing with with the support team).
Read Nicolas Peeters's full review
April 08, 2020

Cloudant is hands down one of the greatest development decision I've made.

Scalability

At this time I have only compared Cloudant to my previously (self hosted) deployment of MongoDB. Using Cloudant was the clear and superior choice when deciding between the two. When using Cloudant I've not had to worry about sharding or server down time. When comparing response times and hardware requirements Cloudant has far surpassed MongoDB with speed and storage availability. With the multi-cloud deployment system of Cloudant coupled with the geo balancing allows for content to be quickly available anywhere.
Victor Pease Solano | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 29, 2019

Best for mobile

Scalability

Because of the offline-first architecture, most of the transactions are handled on the client, requiring less power on the server. Also, because it's plain http, the overload on the client is almost nothing.

Cost and performance is in balance using Cloudant as a backend compared with other hosted solutions.
Read Victor Pease Solano's full review
Wes Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 09, 2016

Cloudant is a great choice for DBaaS for mobile apps on multiple platforms and devices...

Scalability

The service scales incredibly well. As you would expect from CloudDB and IBM combination. The only reason I wouldn't score it a 10 is the fact that document trees can get nested and nested very quickly if you are attempting to do very complex datasets. Which makes your code that much more complex to deal. Its very possible we could find a solution to this problem with better database planning to begin with, but one of the reasons we chose a service over a self-hosted solution was so we could set it up quick and forget about it. So we weren't going to dedicate a team to architecture optimization.
Read Wes Wilson's full review
Romualdo Gobbo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 12, 2016

Flexible data transportation HUB without structure constraints

Scalability

As a DB-as-a-Service, Cloudant has freed us from this kind of problem. Using the IBM Bluemix dashboard you can control how many transaction are executed in milliseconds and this is for now our rating of scalability between 200-24 milliseconds for one http POST (insert document), well under the project rate that was defined by an order of magnitude.
Read Romualdo Gobbo's full review
Don Burks | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 20, 2016

I traded self-hosted for Cloudant

Scalability

We went from a small MVP database of just over 24MB of data to over 2GB in a matter of days when customers started putting data into our service. Cloudant didn't even blink. I'm sure we could have scaled another 10 times over and there wouldn't have even been a flutter of latency in our query times.
Read Don Burks's full review
Justin Saul | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 11, 2016

Cloudant - Build more. Sleep more.

Scalability

We migrated from the tenant to dedicated cluster as we grew. Today, the cluster performs so well we have yet scale out again. When we do, I have little doubt it will be easy and efficient.
Read Justin Saul's full review
Carlos Eduardo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 03, 2016

Cloudant: the best choice for my company

Scalability

The Cloudant's scalability is very powerful. Every time that we needed an extra resource to improve our data process, we got it. Cloudant's scalability responded very quickly and never allowed our data process get slower or stop for any reason.
Read Carlos Eduardo's full review
Kris Bandurski | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 01, 2016

Short and sweet

Scalability

We had our cluster scaled out for a promotion that involved a huge increase in write requests. The important thing there is that by scaling out, i.e., having additional nodes spun up, we increased the cluster's processing power and ingest capacity without any downtime.
Read Kris Bandurski's full review
Bryan Redeagle | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 29, 2016

If it fits your need, you'll never have problems or complaints.

Scalability

I'm storing 200K records, and a query takes millimseconds. I've never had timeout issues in our Client portal where we pull the information. I haven't taken benchmarks, but perceptually I've noticed no slowness. I've thought about future scaling, but With no slowness already I'm wondering if I'll even see any.
Read Bryan Redeagle's full review
Peter Ivie | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 13, 2016

The best prices and easy from start to scale

Scalability

I have not yet had occasion to put the scalability to the test. However, perceived scalability was one of the reasons I chose Cloudant. I want to be able to expand when the time comes without having to put a lot of time and effort into it. Cloudant fits into that zone nicely.
Read Peter Ivie's full review
Jesús Aponte | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 04, 2016

Cloundant Just Works! The best for us: The API.

Scalability

We don't have theoretical limits in the quantity of assets we want to track. We love the notion of revision of documents. We make constant modification to static documents and the capacity for a document to keep track of the revisions, even large quantities of them is a plus for us.
Read Jesús Aponte's full review
July 19, 2016

Cloudant - help you manage your cloud

Scalability

Real time processing were much easier and efficient.

We had to process more than 50TB of data which was made much easier with Cloudant, and there was not much difference in performance even if we had increased another 50TB of data. To me, it's a wonderful option of NoSQL database and for IoT related projects.
January 04, 2016

Cloudant DBaaS review

Scalability

As I mentioned in the pros, Cloudant offers datacenter choices at Softlayer where we host most of our projects with, in this case, the data transaction can be regarded as being processed in the private SL's backend network which indicates that the latency is lower and no additional firewall needs to be equipped. Moreover, Cloudant charges multi-tenant at the PAYG method, which can easily control our cost.

Performance (7)
Availability (7)
Concurrency (7)
Security (7)
Scalability (7)
Data model flexibility (7)
Deployment model flexibility (7)

About IBM Cloudant

IBM Cloudant is a distributed database that is optimized for handling heavy workloads that are typical of large, fast-growing web and mobile apps. Available as an SLA-backed, fully managed IBM Cloud service, Cloudant elastically scales throughput and storage independently. Cloudant is also available as a downloadable on-premises installation, and its API and powerful replication protocol are compatible with an open source ecosystem that includes CouchDB, PouchDB and libraries for the most popular web and mobile development stacks.

IBM Cloudant Features

IBM Cloudant Video

IBM Cloudant Competitors

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes

IBM Cloudant Technical Details

Supported Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese/Brazil, Spanish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional