https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/LC/Hr/XX05IFGMJZOJ.PNGCrystal Reports is a great reporting toolWe use Crystal Reports across our whole organization. We first were introduced to Crystal when we implemented our ERP system, EFI Monarch, because they had designed a report library of reports they had written for their ERP system using Crystal Reports. Their report library allowed us to create our own Crystal Reports and add them to the library. I love Crystal Reports. It saves us so much time when specific information is requested across our many databases (DB2, SQL, Progress, Excel spreadsheets, XML data, Lotus Notes databases, etc). I haven't found any database that wasn't compatible with Crystal Reports.,It allows you to connect to virtually any data source. I have used it to write reports using data from DB2, SQL, Progress, Excel spreadsheets, XML data, Access, and Lotus Notes databases. You can also join different database types together in one report. The drag and drop layout makes it easy to design your report and easy to select data fields to add to your report. When creating a report the Standard Report Creation Wizard walks you through each step needed to create the report and will layout the report for you. There is a wealth of online answers if you have a question about how to do something specific in Crystal Reports.,It would be nice if there was a way to search your .rpt files for a specific field or table using a normal search engine. There are secondary tools available for purchase but it would be nice if there were a way to do this without additional purchase. When I first started using Crystal Reports the learning curve was steep. That being said I had never used a reporting tool before. I think if you are familiar with reporting tools the learning curve would not be as steep. If you do happen to get an error message they are sometimes very cryptic and require internet searches to figure out what exactly is wrong.,10,,10,2,Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Office 2016, OpenEdge, Optimum Solutions HRISSAP Crystal, one deep and complex reporting tool for your business!We currently use Sap Crystal Report for Sage 300 CRE to set and develop a custom report for the accounting team, headboard members and for the estimating team to achieve the insights of our business progress from the financial basis to the operating level. We have been working with this software for almost 5 years and from my personal perspective, it has a wide toolset to manage, deliver, be more collaborative with your team and set complex reports and feed BI dashboards.,The integration using the connection as ODBC, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, etc. Price is relatively inexpensive compared to other tools on the market. Create complicated reports with the ability to adjust display and format to the level of detail that only financial experts can easily manage and get the most of those reports.,Not intuitive – takes a skilled developer to write a complex report, so be aware to manage several consults or even the basic structure of financial report development. Microsoft Updates, .NET updates my cause crashes in the reporting services so many times and it takes days to correct the issues, that you have to read carefully before you apply updates this can turn things against you. The learning curve is considerable small, but if you don't know SQL and understand the basics of relational databases you'll have to dig into a proper training that is fair to manage a large range reporting tool.,8,Qlik Sense, Sisense and Oracle BI Foundation Suite,10,9,Sisense, Oracle BI Foundation Suite, Qlik SenseIt does a lot, but it can take a long time to do itWe use Crystal Reports to generate reports in the form of PDFs and also online reports of usage of our products, along with generating invoices, quotes, packing lists, and other terms and conditions agreements with our sales and support of our order fulfillment processing. We use this product across a range of multiple sites and products.,Detailed invoices calculating shipping, installation and delivery A central point for developers to generate templates for end users Flexible range of output,The way you design templates is kind of hodge podge Unpredictable output from time to time A bit confusing for non-technical people, requires a lot of trial and error,6,,5,5,Contentful, OneLogin, Zywave HRconnection,No,Product Features Product Usability Prior Experience with the Product Existing Relationship with the Vendor,There really didn't seem to be many competitive alternatives. However, if we did it again, I would think that at this time the landscape is different and what people expect in terms of custom reports has changed as business owners are now of a younger generation and many of the solutions made using Crystal can be replaced with cheaper alternatives.Crystal Reports is not for casual users, but provides an excellent tool for professional report design.We use Crystal throughout our organization. Our ERP system serves up Crystal Reports for both analytical and operational reporting. We store our Crystal Reports in an SAP Business Objects repository which is called via Open Document. Users generally aren't savvy enough to generate their own Crystal Reports content, but consume it on a daily basis.,Crystal is very good at presenting the data exactly how you want it. There is a robust set of options for formatting and presentation. It can connect to a wide variety of data sources. We primarily use SQL sources. As a DBA, I generally prefer to have Crystal access views rather than people writing direct queries, but the option is there to do both. There are lots of options for data manipulation once the data set is in Crystal. For example, if you pull some raw data out of a sales table, there are a great many ways to calculate, manipulate, and transform the data into whatever you need.,The learning curve in creating content in Crystal Reports can be steep. This is not a tool that I feel should be wielded by casual users. Crystal isn't great anymore for ad-hoc reporting. At one point in my career, I used Crystal for ad-hoc reporting, but with the advent of web-based and visual reporting tools that can be wielded by the general user population, I wouldn't even think of going to Crystal for one-off type reports. Crystal Reports doesn't have its own scheduling component. So you'll need to either code up or buy a separate solution for report distribution.,8,SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform,9,2,2,,We will continue to use Crystal Reports to provide our operations team information about what is going on throughout the manufacturing process "right now". As our manufacturing processes change, the data that the plants want to see change. As users get used to having useful reports built for them, they will learn what they like and don't like and will want more complex reporting as time progresses. Crystal Reports is a tool that can support that need.,Being able to create well defined/formatted reporting for use by the operations team so they can get the information needed to run our ordering, manufacturing, and shipping processes. Generate reports that are scheduled to go out on a weekly/monthly basis to support decision making for the management team and for assisting in creating of end-of-period financial reporting. The sales team often need to have quick access to information while they are out on calls with clients. We use the SAP BusinessObjects Mobile app to allow them to have quick access to their sales data without having to be logged into our primary reporting system,By placing our Crystal Reports in our Business Objects repository, we have more visibility of the types of data that our users consume. For example we can see which reports are used frequently, so that when performance issues arise, we know which sets of data to concentrate on first.,No,Product Features Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product Existing Relationship with the Vendor,There are so many reporting systems out there now that provide users the ability to not only create ad-hoc reports, but also fairly robust visualizations. If I were to look at another reporting tool now, I would definitely take the time to see what products are out there now versus when we bought Crystal.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was a minor issue with the implementation,When we switched from calling the reports directly from the ERP system to calling the from within a Business Objects repository, there was a bit of a learning curve making that work the way we wanted.,9,Once you have the report designed, executing/refreshing the data and exporting to a popular format is very easy. Formatting (text field alignment, numeric formatting, etc) used to be more difficult in Crystal, however newer versions allow for things like horizontal and vertical alignment of fields "faster",At first, learning to create variables/formulae is difficult. Learning the relationships between what data is at the database layer versus what is available to Crystal's head space, versus what data shows on the report can be a bit of a learning curve.,Yes,8Crystal Reports, still best at what it doesI am a one man shop and I use Crystal Reports to manage many areas of my business. I have reports that:Track activity for new prospective customersAnalyze sales quantities and revenue over timeHighlight errors in data entryGenerate invoicesTrack receivablesProvide historical analysis of products used for blog articlesAutomate follow-up for newsletter subscribers,Crystal allows you to connect to virtually any type of data that is available. Crystal Reports has a rich ecosystem of third party products that extend its capabilities. My site lists dozens of tools that provide viewing, scheduling and managing reports, along with formula UFLs that can let your report interact with your operating system and other applications and services. Crystal, especially the more recent versions, let you create virtually any desired layout with the ability to locate objects anywhere and move them based on conditions in the data. Crystal uses the classic "recurring bands" structure for page layout. I find this efficient and very flexible for generating different types of reports. Crystal doesn't require that you set up a meta data layer before creating reports. It gives you direct access to your tables and fields. The interface in Crystal Reports, while sophisticated, is still primarily designed for end users rather than a programmers.,Many of us would like to see the RPT Format stored in something open (like XML) rather than in a closed and proprietary format. It would be great for users, but probably not a realistic business decision. The charting engine is functional but has been left behind by some of the visualization tools out there. Of course, these visualization tools often can't create classic reports Page layout doesn't include the ability to add a structured table object. Tables have to be created with lines and boxes.,10,,10,1,GoldMine
Windows, Linux
SAP Crystal

SAP Crystal Reviews

SAP Crystal
Filter 393 vetted SAP Crystal reviews and ratings
July 31, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reports is a great reporting tool"

• It allows you to connect to virtually any data source. I have used it to write reports using data from DB2, SQL, Progress, Excel spreadsheets, XML data, Access, and Lotus Notes databases. You can also join different database types together in one report.
  • The drag and drop layout makes it easy to design your report and easy to select data fields to add to your report.
  • When creating a report the Standard Report Creation Wizard walks you through each step needed to create the report and will layout the report for you.
  • There is a wealth of online answers if you have a question about how to do something specific in Crystal Reports.
  • It would be nice if there was a way to search your .rpt files for a specific field or table using a normal search engine. There are secondary tools available for purchase but it would be nice if there were a way to do this without additional purchase.
  • When I first started using Crystal Reports the learning curve was steep. That being said I had never used a reporting tool before. I think if you are familiar with reporting tools the learning curve would not be as steep.
  • If you do happen to get an error message they are sometimes very cryptic and require internet searches to figure out what exactly is wrong.
I have recommended Crystal Reports many times to colleagues. It works well with any database structure I've written reports against. I have done a few charts with Crystal and they look amazing. I think the only problem many have with it is the learning curve but that can be overcome with a few online tutorials. There is a wealth of information on the internet. Most colleagues have grown to love Crystal Reports.

Read Janet Fawcett's full review
July 19, 2018

Review: "SAP Crystal, one deep and complex reporting tool for your business!"

• The integration using the connection as ODBC, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, etc.
  • Price is relatively inexpensive compared to other tools on the market.
  • Create complicated reports with the ability to adjust display and format to the level of detail that only financial experts can easily manage and get the most of those reports.
  • Not intuitive – takes a skilled developer to write a complex report, so be aware to manage several consults or even the basic structure of financial report development.
  • Microsoft Updates, .NET updates my cause crashes in the reporting services so many times and it takes days to correct the issues, that you have to read carefully before you apply updates this can turn things against you.
  • The learning curve is considerable small, but if you don't know SQL and understand the basics of relational databases you'll have to dig into a proper training that is fair to manage a large range reporting tool.
SAP Crystal Report is well suited for those companies that posses ERP systems based on SAP, if you're willing to learn how to use the tool and set goals to master the reporting features this is the right tool for you and your company. You can develop and deliver amazing results with the reports. However, if you're looking for an intuitive tool that allows you to set up fast track to achieving decent reports with integration capability try to use BI tools that allow you to use a cross-reference from diverse sources.
Read Victor Arana's full review
July 17, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "It does a lot, but it can take a long time to do it"

• Detailed invoices calculating shipping, installation and delivery
  • A central point for developers to generate templates for end users
  • Flexible range of output
  • The way you design templates is kind of hodge podge
  • Unpredictable output from time to time
  • A bit confusing for non-technical people, requires a lot of trial and error
SAP Crystal Reports is well suited for a long term ROI when you can afford to implement a lot of time on the back end setting up criteria for reporting to benefit over the long term, meaning the next 12-36 months. It can take considerable time to implement on the back end so I wouldn't suggest this for small agile teams or products.
Read Darian Rawson's full review
July 17, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reports is not for casual users, but provides an excellent tool for professional report design."

• Crystal is very good at presenting the data exactly how you want it. There is a robust set of options for formatting and presentation.
  • It can connect to a wide variety of data sources. We primarily use SQL sources. As a DBA, I generally prefer to have Crystal access views rather than people writing direct queries, but the option is there to do both.
  • There are lots of options for data manipulation once the data set is in Crystal. For example, if you pull some raw data out of a sales table, there are a great many ways to calculate, manipulate, and transform the data into whatever you need.
  • The learning curve in creating content in Crystal Reports can be steep. This is not a tool that I feel should be wielded by casual users.
  • Crystal isn't great anymore for ad-hoc reporting. At one point in my career, I used Crystal for ad-hoc reporting, but with the advent of web-based and visual reporting tools that can be wielded by the general user population, I wouldn't even think of going to Crystal for one-off type reports.
  • Crystal Reports doesn't have its own scheduling component. So you'll need to either code up or buy a separate solution for report distribution.
Crystal is great for generating reports intended to be routinely delivered for operational or analytical purposes. I prefer to avoid Crystal for ad-hoc and one-off report scenarios. Also, if I need a simple report, I'd generally steer users towards a visualization type reporting system...but for well formatted, professional reports, Crystal is still one of the best options.
Read Greg Goss's full review
June 22, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reports, still best at what it does"

I have reports that:
  • Track activity for new prospective customers
  • Analyze sales quantities and revenue over time
  • Highlight errors in data entry
  • Generate invoices
  • Track receivables
  • Provide historical analysis of products used for blog articles
  • Automate follow-up for newsletter subscribers
  • Crystal allows you to connect to virtually any type of data that is available.
  • Crystal Reports has a rich ecosystem of third party products that extend its capabilities. My site lists dozens of tools that provide viewing, scheduling and managing reports, along with formula UFLs that can let your report interact with your operating system and other applications and services.
  • Crystal, especially the more recent versions, let you create virtually any desired layout with the ability to locate objects anywhere and move them based on conditions in the data.
  • Crystal uses the classic "recurring bands" structure for page layout. I find this efficient and very flexible for generating different types of reports.
  • Crystal doesn't require that you set up a meta data layer before creating reports. It gives you direct access to your tables and fields.
  • The interface in Crystal Reports, while sophisticated, is still primarily designed for end users rather than a programmers.
  • Many of us would like to see the RPT Format stored in something open (like XML) rather than in a closed and proprietary format. It would be great for users, but probably not a realistic business decision.
  • The charting engine is functional but has been left behind by some of the visualization tools out there. Of course, these visualization tools often can't create classic reports
  • Page layout doesn't include the ability to add a structured table object. Tables have to be created with lines and boxes.
Having done little else for the past 20 years I may not be the most impartial judge. But I have found that Crystal is well suited to almost any type of report including simple listings, classic summary reports, pro forma financial statements, multi-section narrative reports and reports designed to simply dump the results of a query into a spreadsheet.
Read Ken Hamady's full review
August 16, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Really professional and compatible reports everywhere."

This is the traditional reporting tool that is used in many financial organizations. I have used SAP Crystal Reports 12 in my organization. We can design highly formatted reports using this tool. It can connect to multiple data sources such as ODBC, OLE DB etc. We can create reports with different formats such as pdf, csv, txt, xls, etc. We can also create html, xml reports. The price of this tool is also cheap. We can create detailed graphics, instrument panels.

• There are some written exercises based on SAP Crystal Report that facilitate learning.
  • The integration with the different IDE of development are optimized
  • It is compatible with the most popular database administrators, MYSQL, SQLSERVER, POSTGRESQL. and more...
  • The designer of Crystal is fantastic, drag and drop add-ons to create your report.
  • I had a lot of problems and spent a lot of time trying to adjust the space between the rows. I hope that in the future, SAP Crystal Report will make it easier.
  • Should block the sizes of pre-established and blocked sheets to avoid leaving the margins.
Crystal Report is ideal for designing professional and complex reports for operational or analytical purposes, but when it comes to simple applications Crystal seems to be too much. Also, if I need a simple report, I usually direct users to a visualization type reporting system ... but for well formatted professional reports, Crystal is still one of the best options.
Read Erue Dfut's full review
July 31, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reporting in a Manufacturing/Production Environment"

I'm the only user of Crystal Reports in our organization. We use it primarily for production-related reporting from our MIS (via SQL), but it also has heavy use as a business analysis tool. We are able to quickly identify business trends and sales goals.
  • The interface is easy to learn and understand, with clear iconography and unambiguous tool names.
  • It's easy to connect data from many different sources at once.
  • The help section is actually helpful (!) and easy to navigate to find the answers quickly.
  • A more powerful search function for where formulas and fields are used in the report, such as being able to see at a glance every instance of {@formula}, be it selection criteria, other formulas or location in the report body.
  • Keyboard shortcuts, such as T or Ctrl+T for inserting a text box, S or Ctrl+Shift+S for select expert, etc.
Well suited to any integration with MIS in a production or sales environment, especially where quick analysis of bulk data is required.
Read Matt Tobin's full review
July 21, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "SAP report benefits over other software"

Reports can be made easily by Crystal Reports according to your purpose and imagination. With the help of WYSIWYG you can design your own template of reports. Crystal Reports delivers design dynamic reports that can be linked to almost any data source. It can be connected to any databases for operation reporting. SAP Crystal Reports easily offers flexibility and adaptability.
  • Reports can be very specific and highly formatted. It has an intense amount of format options and other ways to present your view and data.
  • Very powerful. Very competent.
  • It allows us to create exactly what is needed to support our operations. Crystal Reports allows us to do anything where more user-friendly software fails.
  • Crystal Reports takes a great degree of skill, experience to use it. New users should learn first how to use it. An expert's tool.
  • There are a lot of updates, versions and a number of features and it is hard to keep track of new updates.
  • You need to purchase new feature as you want and you'll realize that you're spending more than you thought.
Organizing reports and sharing with colleague are very easy with Crystal reports. Rich with features as a user wants. The best part is WYSIWYG with which you can design your own template for reports. Reports can be very specific and highly formatted. It offers multi-language support in English, French, German, Japanese etc. Support system of Crystal Reports is also good and provided through any medium like online forum, email and phone.
Read RANDHIR KUMAR's full review
July 19, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Not the Cadillac, but still Very Nice."

We are currently using SAP Crystal Reports as our main report building engine for our CRM system. I have not integrated it into other systems yet as we have not needed the metrics available through Crystal Reports. The main business needs that this software serves is it allows users that are not well versed with SQL to understand the data and build a report to show what information they have a vested interest in.
  • The UI is done very well and easy to grasp for not tech people.
  • The available charting functions are easy to configure.
  • Some aspects of building a report are not very intuitive. I don't have a specific example off-hand, but I know when I first started with the software I was using Google and user forums a lot to figure things out.
  • When the platform changed the infrastructure of the reports making backward compatibility a problem it put stress on us to upgrade to meet supported versions with a vendor.
The platform really excels at delivering information in a summary format. The part I feel that is lacking is where you really want detailed information, but aren't en expert at data manipulation or sequel statements. I feel that this causes issues for some of my users when they want to modify or change a report, but aren't well versed in these other technologies.
Read Dan Sarauer's full review
July 19, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reports presents data in a crystal-clear way!"

Crystal Reports is used by the IT Director and System Administrator to create and present customized reports to Managers, End users, and customers. We utilize Prophet 21 software for managing our wholesale distribution (and counter sales) business, and Crystal Reports allows us to modify customer forms and internal reports as needed to present information concisely and correctly!
  • Allows us to generate custom formulas to present complex data in an accurate format.
  • Provides a comprehensive means to modify font types, sizes, and formats to present to internal and external customers.
  • Allows us to present data from multiple SQL database tables and views, and allows us to customize formulas if data is not stored in the SQL database.
  • Formatting of fields and text boxes allows consistency among sections.
  • Would like even more flexibility in exporting reports to Excel, although I understand Microsoft has some control over this.
  • Still difficult sometimes to line up boxes/fields vertically across multiple report sections.
  • Drawing lines sometimes present issues when spanning multiple sections.
Perfect when using SQL Server databases, or when integrating SQL databases and MS Access databases in the same report. I also recommend Crystal Reports for generating forms for clients and end users, as the use of parameters and data-specific conditional formatting (show/hide fields, etcetera) allows us to design one 'report' for multiple uses!
Read John Suit's full review
July 17, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reports is the future"

Crystal Reports is being used by our organization primarily for medical billing statements. It is being used by the whole organization. Crystal Reports generates print files faster than any other program we have tried. It also has a great deal of functionality with regards to formatting and conditional output.
  • Crystal Reports is very easy for any user to use.
  • It compiles data very quickly.
  • It would be helpful if Crystal Reports could output text flowing up instead of down.
Crystal Reports is well suited because it can output iteration lines. It can output any number of lines, and can even flow to other pages. We also use it to change the font size on longer lines of data. This is important when you have a limited space to work with.
Read Brian Arsenault's full review
June 26, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Simple and practical in its general use"

I work with educational institutions across the country and Crystal Reports is a tool that enables me to deliver relevant information to my partners as well as important financial data through simple visualization charts and reports, facilitating the decision-making process of managers and directors. For me, Crystal Reports is important because it is an easy tool to create reports to monitor indicators of each department in companies.
  • It enables the creation of reports through a simplified and useful visual interface. During the creation of the reports you can already have a view of what is being set up.
  • Ease of reporting, with the possibility of using data of various types of connections to the most varied types of databases.
  • It supports large amount of data, processing them efficiently and quickly.
  • Its formulas can be easily created, with a language based on SQL its use is very simple.
  • It has a good help menu with many examples to use its formulas, which is very useful in several moments of its use and also facilitates its learning.
  • The use for graphing sometimes is not simple, since the data type often needs to be very standardized to be accepted in the use of graphics.
  • Information on solving more complex problems is more difficult to find among the community of users who use the program.
  • The lack of local training can make it difficult to learn advanced items, even though their use is simplified in general.
Their use may be best suited for financial data presentation as well as data listings. Its more advanced usage is dependent on SQL understanding, so people without this affinity may have their experience impaired.
Read Fabio da Silva's full review
September 07, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Make your reports stand out"

We use it across the whole organization for generating reports on prospective financial investment opportunities and also for collecting data from various vendors and sources. It's really helped in managing these sources and feeding them into one place saving us a lot of time and effort.
  • Customization for reports
  • Allows multiple users to feed and draw data
  • Flexibility
  • Expensive
  • Hard to setup
On the one hand, Crystal Reports is the program I go to when I need reports that are very specific and highly formatted. Crystal has an almost intense amount of formatting options and ways to present data. On the other hand, while Crystal lets me do what I need to do, it takes a great degree of skill, experience, and possibly a degree in anger management to use it. This is never going to be something you can give to your average user and expect them to be able to do anything. This is an expert's tool.
Read Matthew Dempsey's full review
August 17, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Feedback about Crystal"

Crystal is used for SOX reporting. Client as well as Web via BOBJ. It also acts like self service reporting tool. Its used in IT and business
  • Very formatted reporting.
  • Self service querying tool on SAP
  • Governed SOX reporting
SAP is easy to use with SAP ECC/Data. Its also easy to use with SQL. For more governed self-service i would prefer Lumira over Crystal.
Read Vivian Pereira's full review
August 16, 2018

User Review: "SAP Crystal: still a winner"

Used across the organization for writing some pixel-perfect report. It helps on floor where users does not have continuously access to intranet so they user printed reports.
  • Connects to a variety of data sources easily
  • Stable product & strong user community for help
  • Pixel-perfect reporting at its best
  • Still two similar client tools causes some confusion to super users
  • Some form of ad-hoc reporting features would help
  • UI is little aged so better make it contemporary
It is for repetitive reporting but not to wow management so some catchup needs to be done for UI richness.
Read Vamsi Krishna Chitluri's full review
March 30, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Good reporting for reasonable price"

SAP Crystal Reports are used as a common business intelligence tool, to create various charts and dashboards across all departments and provides great visualized data for analytical staff. Different data sources supported by SAP Crystal reports allows implementation regardless of information systems used in a company, that makes life easier for BI tools development teams.
  • Ability to build a lof of informational reports, which being finished once, could be executed and refreshed with just a single click
  • Integration with lots of third-party products. We are using it in conjunction with Microsoft Office
  • Does not requires a deep knowledge of the system to start developing simple reports
  • Customer support could be better
  • Complex reports require a lot of time to find the cause of errors because error messages are not very informative
  • Creation of complex reports is not very straightforward and could be tricky
Works best for finance department reports, as their software is using relational databases and data warehouses, which allows developers to create and modify reports quickly. Also works good for real-time analytics, but requires deep tuning of database queries to avoid performance impact.

Does not work so good for manufacturing reporting as it requires big data engineers to be engaged, which requires more time to develop reports
Read Andrey Perepelitsyn's full review
July 31, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Flexible and Easy to Learn"

We used to provide many staff members access to run shared Crystal reports that were created by 1-2 report developers, but Crystal no longer connects directly to our Oracle/PeopleSoft database. Thus, our 1-2 report developers still use Crystal for established reporting projects and new one-off projects, but the "public" reports are no longer possible for our staff to run.
  • Crystal is very flexible. If you have a unique formatting need for a report, it will be easier to implement with Crystal than most other tools.
  • Creating run prompts in Crystal is a more straightforward process than in most other tools I've used.
  • You don't need to build queries within Crystal while creating a report. That process has confused me when other tools require it.
  • Creating a loop with Crystal is more difficult than I would like.
  • In the design template pane in Crystal, you sometimes need to cram objects tightly together to get the report appearance you want. It's hard to see/work with these objects later.
  • Crystal no longer connects directly to Oracle/PeopleSoft databases, which is our enterprise system.
Generally, Crystal is a very flexible reporting tool that can handle any report format you need to create. There's a very mild learning curve for creating things like calculated fields and run prompts. Reports can easily be run to Microsoft Word, Excel, PDF and other options. Crystal can be directly connected to some (but not all) enterprise system databases so report builders can use an existing query or the database tables and fields themselves to drive a report.
August 22, 2018

Review: "SAP Crystal Reports and Crystal Reports Server"

SAP Crystal Server software enables self-service access to reports, dashboards and data exploration within a secure BI infrastructure that’s quick to deploy. It was used by my department.
  • It requires a developer skilled in Crystal Reports’ proprietary language, but one of CR most touted benefits is its flexible, customizable report design.
  • Using CR, a developer can create highly formatted, pixel-perfect reports in nearly any layout desired and in up to 24 different languages.
  • Like other major business intelligence vendors, SAP typically buys technology instead of innovating it. As a result, a number of interfaces must be used to leverage CR, including a report designer and a dashboard designer.
  • Security is built into the report itself, so when you need a report for two different audiences, the developer must modify the security settings for each report- in effect duplicating the report for each person.
It's licensing model is confusing. There are a lot of product SKUs, many versions and a number of features. For example, you license the server, but then you need to get user licenses on the server, then there are add-ons. You need mobile user licenses for the server, plus you must license a designer tool to build reports and license a designer tool to build dashboards. This isn’t an exhaustive list, but as you can tell, you’re spending much more than the initial cost.
July 31, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Crystal Reports for Routine Reporting & Analysis"

Our organization uses Crystal Reports to (1) automate complex data tasks such as ETL to get ready data for (2) reports that are used by our organization to both drive decision making and to support administrative functions. We use Crystal Reports in conjunction with another BI tool to provide us greater deal in a traditional report product that enables drill down and data views at different levels of aggregation.
  • Crystal Reports formulas make it very easy to customize complex reporting requirements. Additionally, Crystal Reports reporting language is easy to learn and use.
  • Crystal Reports output of information in a variety of file types makes it easy to consume on any platform meeting a variety of end users' needs from PDFs to spreadsheets to interactive reports with drill capabilities.
  • Crystal Reports makes is easy to combine data sets from a variety of sources, and then join the data together in a meaningful way.
  • Occasionally, a data source type needs to be changed. This can create an issue when moving the report from one data source to another effectively breaking the link of the fields in one data source as the transition to another occurs. It would be helpful if Crystal Reports created a data migration tool to make the mapping of the old fields to the new more straightforward when data sources need to be changed.
  • The ability to drill down on formulas would be an awesome feature, however, I have not seen this ability in any reporting platform.
  • We have used some advance BI tools with really slick visualizations, and it would be great to see a similar level of graphical presentations in CR. I have to admit that I have been using CR 2009 until very recently when I upgraded to CR 2016, and I have not had a chance to fully test updated graphics.
Crystal Reports is well suited for routine reporting. Anytime an organization needs regular information in a report format, Crystal Reports is really good at meeting that need. This is especially true when the data behind that report comes in a variety of formats because CR is good at joining the data and processing it automatically once the programming is set up.

Crystal Reports is less appropriately suited for ad-hoc reports due to the level of effort in setting up a report; however, it can work for ad hoc reports if a lot of effort is not required.
July 23, 2018

"SAP Crystal Reports Review"

A highly featured tool which is used by various people in our organization. With SAP Crystal Reports you can design and deliver meaningful business reports based on data from virtually any source. It saves time delivering interactive and graphical reports which are easy to read and analyze data. Crystal also allows developers to script their custom own sql-based query in the database editor. It is extensive in summary functions, running totals, and a rich formula programming language.
  • Reports can also be easily delivered through the Crystal Reports Server or BusinessObjects.
  • It is a WSIWYG design tool, allowing you to see what you are doing as you do it. You can customize the design with your own ideas and need.
  • Flexible Windows and Web application features support development.
  • Crystal can also handle very large volumes of data very well as its processing engines are optimized to do so.
  • Rules applied to the selection and manipulation of data can have unexpected results, leading to manual troubleshooting of report design and database queries.
  • Working with lines and boxes is not as flexible as, say, Microsoft Word.
  • New Users needs training to use it effectively.
  • A more intuitive interface for linking databases and database tables would be helpful for those that are new to databases and report writing.
SAP Crystal Reports is well suited in many ways like generating reports and analyzing data so that we can use for our benefit. Using it, I like how easy it is to develop a report to meet your needs with its WYSIWYG style. If you're good at HTML you can also use WYSIWYG source code feature. Users create reports to obtain data based upon what is entered into their database.
July 19, 2018

SAP Crystal: "Crystal Reports review"

It is being used to generate reports from several different databases and systems. Reports can be created by integrating different systems to support a more robust model.
  • SAP Crystal lets us integrate different systems, databases and helps generate better reports.
  • SAP has a good UI/Graphical interface that is very presentable.
  • It has API's for several other programs and functions to improve efficiency.
  • It has limited GIS functionality.
  • GIS is one area which can be improved.
  • A business user cannot leverage CR; it takes the skill of an experienced CR developer- which drives up the cost.
  • Security is built into the report itself, so when you need a report for two different audiences, the developer must modify the security settings for each report. This results in work duplication.
Using CR a developer can create highly formatted, pixel-perfect reports in nearly any layout desired and in many different languages. This is one huge advantage of this. It can also be integrated with other software for usability. In large-scale organizations, this would be very handy.

A situation where it is not suitable is when a business user is trying to use Crystal Reports. It requires a developer/tester to work on this. It cannot be used directly by a business user.
June 26, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "Loved by Users and Consultants -- Neglected by SAP"

I develop software utilities for Crystal Reports. I also teach undergraduate and graduate business intelligence courses where Crystal Reports is used as one of the main software tools.
  • The Crystal Reports Runtime (SDK) is very powerful.
  • Crystal Reports itself is very powerful, so the combination of powerful reports + powerful SDK is very compelling.
  • The ability to use dynamic expressions to control almost any aspect of report behavior and layout. For example, control visibility, formatting, sizing, and placement of any object or section using dynamic expressions.
  • Dynamic expressions are not limited to a single statement. Can use variables, and control structures. In other words, full programming language (Basic-like) to control report layout and content.
  • Beyond hundreds of built-in functions, you can build or purchase 3rd-party User Function Libraries (UFLs) that can extend the power of the tool in useful and creative ways.
  • Critical Mass and Network Effects: millions of licenses sold, report libraries integrated into 3rd-party software packages, tech support forums, consultants, training materials ...
  • Deployment options: can use as agile solution with direct connectivity to practically any data source or move into Enterprise-level deployments using data and security layers.
  • The tension between Enterprise-level solutions and Agile-level solutions for BI within SAP seem to cause feature stagnation. Not much has been enhanced in the last several years even though many opportunities for obvious improvements exist.
  • Because of feature stagnation, momentum is shifting to alternative BI tools such as SSRS, Power BI, Tableau, etc.
  • SAP seems to like hiding useful tech support information behind a fence. Folks without support contracts can't access KBA Numbers or SAP Note IDs even though they are useful for situations such as understanding recent bug fixes.
Excellent choice for most common (and even uncommon) reporting scenarios. Best combination of functionality and Total Cost of Ownership when combined with inexpensive 3rd-party tools.
January 15, 2018

SAP Crystal Review: "High Performance, Cost Effective, Plethora of Functions, Ease of Use"

Crystal Training Source teaches, consults, and develops Crystal Server and Crystal Reports for various companies throughout the U.S. and Canada. We help potential/current users learn all of the functions and /or features within SAP Crystal Server to greatly improve data traffic and sharing within their organisation.

It addresses the issues experienced by inferior products not being able to share, distribute, and run needed reports (high volume) on a daily basis.
  • You can easily navigate within the Central Management Console to access a plethora of very powerful functions i.e. (Security, Users, Groups, Scheduling, Distribution, Delivery Formats, Business Views, Triggers, etc.)
  • In my previous experience outside of SAP a lot of products are very difficult to learn and apply. SAP Crystal Server is laid out in a very intuitive way and it makes learning and application fluid.
  • End users can easily access the end user portal and view, schedule, run, and distribute reports with the click of a mouse. This allows data to flow much more efficiently throughout the organization.
  • SAP Crystal Server allows a seamless connection to your organizations production data which allows for a smooth transition from basic reporting to publication in a few short steps.
  • I would like to see graph features to be improved. SAP has made leaps and bounds over the years and I know they will get there.
  • I would like to see SAP products bundled for a more turn key solution.
Data Management
Read Justin Lee's full review
January 08, 2018

Review: "SAP Crystal: Flexibility, Customization, and Ease of Use"

SAP Crystal was being used mainly by one department within my organization, that being the Online Brand Protection Department. It's a fantastic tool for report generation and data aggregation in that it is fully customizable and allows for various users and vendors to access the system to both feed and retrieve information. We needed something that would give us flexibility and also allow multiple users to access the data at the same time.
  • Customized reports are great because they not only allow you to tailor the data and results to you needs but also allow the flexibility of changing reporting structures if needs change.
  • Multiple user access and permissions are essential to control who has visibility to what data as well as providing a common hub for everyone to collaborate and communicate about the data.
  • Relatively inexpensive compared to other products out there. This really goes hand in hand with their customer support because you feel like you're getting a much more expensive product for the quality of the program as a whole.
  • Although the reporting structure is highly customizable, it is essential to have a developer who is well versed in coding the reports for you in SAP Crystal Server. This isn't so much a problem with SAP Crystal because in order to get customizable reports, you really need to know how to work the system which is very flexible.
  • Data security needs to be tweaked within each report for different audiences and so if you need different vendors or deliverables to have different security settings, then you need to set this up within each report that you generate.
  • From what I hear about how the licensing model is set up, there is a bit of layering confusion. Apparently, once your business licenses the software, you must then create different licenses for various users and vendors. I could see this getting confusing especially with different add-ons and multiple users.
SAP Crystal is most well suited for companies with large amounts of data feeds and vendors that supply information as well as those companies that need to congregate this data into flexible and changing reports. Possibly the less appropriate scenario to use SAP Crystal is in a smaller company that does not or cannot employ a dedicated developer who can assist with the reporting and reporting structures.
Read Joseph R. Sweeney's full review
December 12, 2017

SAP Crystal Review: "Analysing SAP CR."

SAP Crystal Report always helped me to create the best report of daily work, track data, create best graph representation etc. Connecting it with databases make it more helpful to get data, represent it, analyze it easily as a graphical representation. One can create customized design report using it. If you're an expert in it, you can use its abundant feature also.
  • Rich in features and support system is also good.
  • Support various databases and sources like Oracle, MS SQL server, Excel etc.
  • Sharing report with SAP Crystal is easy with good security
  • More complex reports are time intensive.
  • New user finds a lot of difficulties in creating reports.
  • Sharing a report in an organisation is very important, and only a single person can edit in one time. Mailing the report is not a good idea, there should be a option of using cloud-based sharing.
If one wants to analyze its data deeply and manipulate it in a variety of different ways, this is the best tool to use.
1) Reports look clean and professional.
2) Integration with databases helps a lot.
3) The customized template as a user wants, easy to create and make an attractive look.
4) Visualisation of data in different ways - graphical or in simple words.
Read Sumit Jain's full review

Pixel Perfect reports (82)
Customizable dashboards (70)
Report Formatting Templates (85)
Drill-down analysis (89)
Formatting capabilities (102)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (43)
Report sharing and collaboration (87)
Publish to Web (64)
Publish to PDF (100)
Report Versioning (66)
Report Delivery Scheduling (69)
Delivery to Remote Servers (23)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (52)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (53)
Predictive Analytics (43)
Multi-User Support (named login) (56)
Role-Based Security Model (57)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (56)
Single Sign-On (SSO) (18)
Responsive Design for Web Access (40)
Dedicated iOS Application (27)
Dedicated Android Application (24)
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (36)
REST API (8)
Javascript API (14)
iFrames (8)
Java API (14)
Themeable User Interface (UI) (17)
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (14)

About SAP Crystal

SAP Crystal (SAP Crystal Reports, SAP Crystal Server) is designed to help users create powerful, richly formatted, dynamic reports from virtually any data source – delivered in dozens of formats, in up to 24 languages. According to the vendor, SAP Crystal Reports is a robust production reporting tool, that turns almost any data source into interactive, actionable information that can be accessed offline or online, from applications, portals and mobile devices. SAP Crystal Server enables self-service access to reports, dashboards, and data exploration within a secure infrastructure.