DBArtisan Reviews

Zhann Goloborodko | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 01, 2019

DBArtisan may be pricey, but its worth it

Within the Developers, DBArtisan is used primarily as a database IDE and to manage the database's infrastructure. There are plenty of good free IDE alternatives, our favorite is SQuirreL, but its ability to manipulate db devices, monitor logs, manage elements like triggers, and much more make it worth the investment for us. This tool gives you a familiar front into most your database's inner workings.
  • IDE
  • DB Management
  • Locks up far too often
  • Licensing structure is expensive
It is a basic IDE with DB Management support. If you are managing various DBs, or are looking for an easy to use GUI, DbArtisan is nice.

Technically, everything that it does can easily be done on command line and scripted. It isn't necessary, so given its price it all depends on how valuable your IT's time is.
Read Zhann Goloborodko's full review
April 02, 2019

DBArtisan is a good choice for database monitoring

I use DBArtisan for monitoring our database and running SQL codes. The IT department also uses it for database monitoring.
  • The free trial offer was great for me to test the software before purchasing it.
  • It monitors queries well and shows resource allocation, as well as detailed stats for each running query.
  • Local and peer support could be better.
  • The user interface could be improved to a more modern look.
DBArtisan is functional and suitable for any sized organization that needs to monitor its database resources and running queries.
Johnny Wu | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 15, 2016

Enterprise Database Management at its Best!

DBArtisan is an excellent tool for DBAs encompassing most of the day-to-day DB management tasks. I think the default user interface is fairly intuitive and easy enough to figure out most things out of the box. It's a great addition to Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), and it complements Toad/SQL Developer, which the development team uses. Although we're predominately an Oracle/PeopleSoft shop, we also have a few databases in MSSQL, which DBArtisan can connect to as well (though it requires a separate license). It's great to have one tool that can connect to all of the major RDBMS platforms, and be able to manage all DBs in the same interface.
  • User interface is easy to use, and in some ways better than Toad. The left hand side shows all databases, and you can drill down to instance, storage, schemas, tablespaces, and performance views. The right hand side displays the details of the selected object.
  • This is the best tool if you want to manage multiple RDBMS platforms in a single tool using the same familiar interface. Other third party tools can do it also, but it's not nearly as integrated as this, and may require additional plug-ins installed. DBArtisan excels at this, and can perform cross-platform data migrations easily.
  • It has different DB analysts, which can help diagnose issues with performance, optimize storage, detect fragmentation, and plan for capacity growth. For almost any action you want to take, you can generate the DDL for preview, and/or schedule it to run at a specific time.
  • DBArtisan lacks a utility that does schema or object comparisons, which is a feature in Toad. I find this useful in some situations where I need to find out all differences between Prod and QA for a given schema, for example. DBArtisan doesn't seem to have the capacity to do this.
  • I wish there was a way for the tool to warn me before performing a long-running task. For example if I want to re-organize a large table or rebuild an index for a table with millions of rows, it should warn me before executing it, so that I may choose to do it in a different way. Sometimes if I let these long operations run for too long, it freezes the program and crashes DBArtisan. I would rather run it on the DB server, and run it in background so that it doesn't time out, if DBArtisan gave me a warning before execution.
  • Idera has taken over Embarcadero. I never heard of or dealt with Idera for support. I don't know if they have same the quality support as before.
DBArtisan is excellent for large institutions with multiple mission-critical databases. It works especially well for cross-platforms RDBMS support. I am mostly familiar with Oracle, but less familiar with SQL Server and Sybase. So I certainly appreciate having a similar interface that allows me to manage those less familiar RDBMS, as this will mean a smaller learning curve. DBArtisan is mostly for DBAs, it is not suitable for developers, I believe the vendor has a separate tool for that.
Read Johnny Wu's full review

Version control tools (2)
Test data generation (3)
Performance optimization tools (2)
Schema maintenance (3)
Database change management (2)
User management (3)
Database security (3)
Database status reporting (2)
Change management (2)

About DBArtisan

DBArtisan from Embarcadero Technologies (acquired by Idera) is a database administration toolset.