dbForge SQL Complete Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Michael Armes profile photo
I started using dbForge SQL Complete a few years ago, and when I moved to Arthur J. Gallagher, I brought it with me. Members of my development team have noticed me using it and have tried it out for themselves, then gone on to purchase licenses. It's made working within SQL Server Management Studio much easier, and when I recently installed the 2018 preview of SSMS, I found myself missing dbForge SQL Complete quite a lot until I installed it there, too.
  • Intellisense - it's not just what columns are on what tables, but foreign key navigation as well, which makes writing JOIN statements a breeze.
  • Formatting - I think most developers doing any kind of database querying like to see cleanly formatted statements, and dbForge SQL Complete formats well out of the box but also allows you to customize the formatting options to a really detailed degree.
  • Tab colors - this sounds like a small thing, but when I'm opening multiple database server connections, being able to tell at a glance which open tabs are for which connection is great. You can manage this to a degree in SSMS without dbForge SQL Complete, but it's a nice touch.
  • It crashes, occasionally, but it doesn't bring down the entire application. There was a point where having an uncommitted transaction would cause dbForge SQL Complete to throw an exception, but that seems to have been fixed. I haven't seen any issues with it since the December update.
If you're not in a database management app every day, dbForge SQL Complete might be overkill for you. I know some of my team members are just as happy with Azure Data Studio and a few extensions. I walk through a lot of production support issues, so being able to clearly tell which environment I'm working in, at a glance (QA, dev, staging, prod backup, etc), is a huge help for me. I also pick through generated SQL from an ORM, and dbForge SQL Complete makes it easy to comb through that.
Read Michael Armes's full review

dbForge SQL Complete Scorecard Summary

About dbForge SQL Complete

dbForge SQL Complete is an IntelliSense add-in for SQL Server Management Studio. It offers autocompletion and formatting features for T-SQL code.