Lexis Advance Reviews

Melanie N. Abea, Esq. | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 02, 2020

Lexis Advance Review

My firm uses Lexis Advance to perform legal research. Typically the platform is only accessed by the attorneys in the office, but sometimes it is also accessed by a paralegal. We have access to annotated statutes, cases, and practice guides. The practice guides are very helpful in not having to reinvent the wheel.
  • I like the annotated statutes. That is typically where I start my searches.
  • I seem to find more relevant case law on Lexis than I have through Westlaw.
  • Their training and research attorneys are very helpful.
  • We did have some billing questions once and they weren't quick to respond.
  • Going outside of your subscription costs an arm and a leg.
  • They have a lot of reps that don't offer the same package pricing.
Well, when I deal with an issue that I have not researched before it would be the place I begin that research. Lexis Advance is also helpful if you save cases to folders and then you can go back and see if that case is still good law or if there's been new citing cases.
Support has always been helpful and easily accessible. They are available day and night, which is great for practitioners who work outside of office hours.
Read Melanie N. Abea, Esq.'s full review
Jason Ramsland | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 02, 2020

Lexis - for robust public records search at lower cost than Westlaw

Used Lexis Advance for legal research needs and to search for public record information on litigants, clients, witnesses, and other relevant parties. It was used by my entire law practice. It meets the needs of identifying applicable case law, ensuring precedents still valid and not overruled, and for finding key information about clients, potential clients, litigants, and other witnesses or relevant parties.
  • Good public records search on individuals
  • Shepherdizing is A++
  • Decent logic in searching
  • The notes from cases function is not as strong as other competitors
  • Lacks some features that more novel sources use
  • Costly
It is good if you want public records searching on individuals in your legal research tool. It is also less costly than Westlaw, but significantly more costly than other tools like FindLaw, Casetext, and other newer tools.

If you are looking for the basic standard legal research tool and you're uncomfortable with newer tools, Lexis Advance is a good choice.
We never had any need for direct support. It was always fine in terms of functionality. The downtime was either limited or non-existent, and generally, we were warned well in advance of any outages.

Some at-hand help/support would be nice for ad hoc guidance on terms and connectors for searches--even just a quick pop-up that will share the list of basic search functions and what they do.
Read Jason Ramsland's full review
April 09, 2020

Not my favorite for legal research.

It is used as our primary legal research tool. Case law, shepardizing, court ruling, etc. It is also used for corporate and personal searches.
  • Natural language search
  • Skip tracing
  • Navigation of the system
For the purpose of legal research, there are multiple platforms available with two big players. It is a matter of personal preference as to which one works best. Lexis, from my standpoint, is adequate but I prefer the offerings of their competitors.
I have not needed their support.
April 09, 2020

Efficient, clean, easy

I use Lexis Advance to search for Respondents, find employment information, and residential look-ups.
  • Consolidate public records
  • Break down information into categories
  • Update interface often
  • Simpler interfaces
  • Timing out less frequently
  • Quicker
Lexis Advance is best for legal research and looking up public records. It's great for looking up Judges and case law regarding previous jurisdictions.
Haven't reached out except for password help but the response was quick. A couple times it locked me out for no reason.
February 22, 2019

Legal Research the Easy Way

We use Lexis Advanced at our law firm to perform legal research. Paralegals, Attorneys, and support staff all use Lexis Advanced. It allows us to narrow down research based on many filters including Court (Federal, State, District or Circuit), practice area or by preset categories. It is easy to use and the results are almost always reliable.
  • Legal Research is top notch. The results are current and almost always relevant
  • Filtering - Results can be filtered by State Court, Federal Court (and all districts), Practice area (Medial Malpractice, Mass Tort, Personal Injury etc ...)
  • Availability - Lexis Advanced site is always up, I have never had any issues connecting to Lexis Advanced when I needed to research something
  • There isn't much not to like about Lexis Advanced, but if I had to come up with something it would be that content sometimes takes a bit longer to appear than it does on Westlaw's similar product
  • A subscription is costly
Lexis Advanced is well suited for law firms of all size that need to do legal research. It is my favorite source for legal research, with Westlaw coming in a close second. The filtering really makes your research easier and allows advanced searches without knowing advanced boolean search concepts.

About Lexis Advance

Lexis Advance from LexisNexis is an online legal research database providing access as well as commentary to an extensive library of legal resources, Shepard's Citation System, smart content discovery with Lexis Answers machine learning search and answer system, among other features.