September 18, 2019
Score 7 out of 10
We use supermicro servers at our main datacenter in Florida. We have our core platform running over 400+ of these servers, including our private cloud. We have a lot of applications running, from basic sites, to more complex applications.
- Good IPMI management, detailed information
- Their Redfish API is also a good tool to configure/retrieve information from the servers, good for scalability
- Documentation Online for new updates is up to date (BIOS/FW)
- Their support could be better, it is not the fastest we've got in touch with
- We have seen strange behaviour on some of their servers, it's better to check if the OS you will be running is supported on their support matrix first
Supermicro may be well suited if what you will be deploying on the servers is supported, because if you don't, you may have no support at all. In our case, we have had some hardware problems where the support is not efficient compared to other experiences we had (HP, DELL). On the other hand, their servers price is quite good, so it's a win win if you are looking for better prices than other vendors.
Read Agustin Larrarte's full review
My experience with the support was not that good, it always takes a lot of time to get somewhere when raising a support case. I gave it a 6 because I think they have room for improvement here, It could be good if they would act quicker and send in replacements for faulty hardware.