Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Jamie Cunningham profile photo
We use Upserve POS across our entire organization. We currently operate 2 restaurants in Nashville with plans to expand. We fully intend on continuing to use Upserve as we grow. Upserve is an extremely well rounded POS system that addresses many issues throughout our organization, including table management, counter service for to go orders, online ordering, loyalty, labor management, robust reporting, delivery platform integrations, and credit card processing.

Additionally, we will soon be using Upserve for fully integrated inventory and ordering management as well as scheduling. They are truly a one stop shop and they do everything well.
  • Reporting: Upserve's backend reporting system is unparalleled in this industry. It's extremely robust and gives us eyes into every nook and cranny of our business.
  • Intuitive: The Upserve POS is nearly as intuitive as Square. The ease of use really helps us provide great service without spending a fortune in training.
  • Extras: A quality POS system is assumed with Upserve. It has all the bells and whistles and it's very effective. What takes Upserve over the top is all the added features. Our online ordering system, loyalty program, delivery platform integration, KDS system, and soon to be inventory management are all provided for free with our system. The other benefit is all these features are seamless and work really well.
  • KDS System Features: Overall the KDS system is fantastic. That said, there is one really frustrating issues. When a ticket is changed in any way, including being split at the end of the transaction, it reappears on the KDS screen as a "shanged ticket." That can create enough trouble, but what makes it worse, is that it shows up on the screen in the order of ticket time. So, the changed ticket will reappear in the queue wherever the ticket time falls. It ends up being really hard to track what is what and what needs to be fired next.
  • Splitting Checks: It is extremely difficult to split a check for guests. Instead of simply choosing the number of checks and dragging and dropping items onto the correct checks. With Upserve you have to start from the original move specific items to a new check. Then go back to the original and move more items to a different check, etc. Only then can you go search for checks and start charging guests.
  • Menu Item Changes with Multiple Locations: Unfortunately, there's no global way to change menu items at all locations. All menu changes, big and small, have to be done individually for each location separately. It's super time consuming and frustrating.
Upserve POS is well suited for any restaurant, bar, or coffee shop. We've utilized this system for full service, quick service, and bar service and it's been perfect for all of it. I can't think of food or beverage service application that Upserve is not well suited to handle.
Read Jamie Cunningham's full review
Chris Kim profile photo
I just switched over 9 Venues from ALOHA 6.7 and 12.3 and am very happy. Multiple locations in a dashboard has been great. The only issues we've had were due to an ISP outage and a few cards declining once it came back online. Overall, the implementation with the ability to mass change and edit items via CSV is very convenient.
  • No need to refresh after changes are made.
  • Ability to make adjustments as an admin without having to remote into a server.
  • Quick response from the support team via chat.
  • Ability to do granular level check audits.
  • Ability to adjust breaks.
  • Notifications for cards that are processed without the internet, but then are later declined by the processor.
Great for standalone restaurants, bars, or nightclubs. Not yet suited for hotel operations that need to be able to charge a guest room via PMS integration.
Read Chris Kim's full review
Danielle Lawson profile photo
Upserve is our POS. We use it to track labor, sales, and menu set up. We're very happy with the service.
The equipment is great, the system on the iPads is super user-friendly, and the HQ is very helpful and easy to navigate. We highly recommend using Upserve.
  • Thorough HQ.
  • Easy menu set-up.
  • User-friendly equipment.
  • No complaints so far!
Upserve POS is well suited for a small business like ours. It has more capability than we need since we don't have a sit-down, eat-in service.
Read Danielle Lawson's full review
We’ve been using Upserve POS and merchant services for three years at our mid-size full-service restaurant. It's the most user-friendly POS I‘ve ever worked with. It makes training new employees very easy and is a low investment for equipment since it works on tablets and the system is compatible with most of the printers on the market.
  • Simple user interface
  • Low equipment cost
  • Ability to customize settings for your business
  • Bluetooth EMV reader disconnects sometimes
You can easily pick up the iPad and take orders tableside and it’s especially helpful to split checks for the large parties right at the table. It saves a lot of time but dedicated and strong wifi is a must for Upserve POS. The downside is you can’t take EMV payments tableside with the iPad
October 05, 2019

Upserve POS Review

We use Breadcrumb as a POS in our bar and other establishments within the hospitality group. It helps us organize as one or multiple locations and links between them allowing easy data comparison and user interface.
  • Organize.
  • User interface.
  • Menu items.
  • Tableside is just a shrunken version.
Breadcrumb is best suited for someone looking to analyze and organize data. Least suited for some that are less tech friendly.
We use Upserve POS to streamline our ordering process and inventory. It's very user-friendly and easy to learn.
  • Easy tracking of inventory.
  • Easy to keep menus and counts accurately updated.
  • It would be helpful to have more restrictions on individuals with what they can and can't edit. At the moment it's kind of all or nothing.
  • Splitting checks could be easier.
Upserve POS is not well suited for splitting checks for larger parties. A drag and drop feature would be handy to have as well.
Elizabeth McCarty profile photo
We are using it in our taproom to serve customers. Both on-premise and off-premise, dock sales and retail. It lets us get detailed reporting and is very intuitive. It also tracks tip share and is an easy interface with our customers. We are happy with the upgrade from our previous system.
  • Great Customer Service.
  • Intuitive.
  • Great for reporting.
  • Easy for customers to close their tab/ticket.
  • Refunding from the POS instead of the back office.
  • More versatility for discount approvals. Currently, the manager has to approve EVERY discount. It would be nice if you could pick and choose which ones to password protect.
On our previous system, the servers would not be tipped sometimes because customers would not read/could not understand how the tip section worked. This system you can choose a tip percentage for default and then the customer can change it easily.

I would like to be able to let my staff give some discounts without having to enter a PIN. I would also like to be able to refund from the POS. Currently, you have to log in to the back office section of the system to refund.
Read Elizabeth McCarty's full review
Robbie Melton profile photo
We are using it as both the POS and the KDS in two restaurants as well as for our time clock and labor reporting.
  • I love all the backend reporting features of Upserve. It's really robust and helps me manage our restaurant by staying in touch with labor, best selling items, etc.
  • The customer service is great. I had a question and used their chat feature and my question was answered within 5 minutes.
  • I'd highly recommend this product.
  • On the KDS, the system will re-fire tickets when we split checks and sometimes when simply closing out.
  • On the KDS, when someone adds onto an order that has already been bumped from the screen and doesn't put the new item at the end of the queue. It bumps it to the front and keeps the original time of the original order. This makes it difficult to process the order and determine the priority of which order should be fulfilled.
I think it works really well as a POS and KDS system in a restaurant. The only real issue I've discovered is the way the KDS has a couple of quirks where it will re-fire a ticket in particular scenarios.
Read Robbie Melton's full review
Devon Moore profile photo
Upserve POS is our restaurant's time-clock and sales software. We integrate with a scheduling program. We also make use of the online ordering included in the pro package.
  • The software is very intuitive and easy to learn.
  • Support staff are very helpful and wait times are low
  • Email receipts and signature capture on the tablets help to reduce costs and admin time.
  • There are a few minor bugs in the reporting that should be fixed.
  • Check out reports could improve by showing each transaction detail.
  • There is not currently a way to check via the reports how many online orders come through since they are processed as a credit card/cash.
A full service or quick service restaurant with very little takeaway or delivery would be perfect for this tool. Once you start to need more functions for delivery, catering, deposits and invoicing, it starts to be less of a match though it does get the job done.
Read Devon Moore's full review
Jeremy M. Goldstein profile photo
January 24, 2019

Upserve Works

We use Upserve POS in our tasting room and restaurant. I find them to be reliable, responsive, and straight-forward to deal with when we have any issues, which isn't regularly. I think all POS systems have their quirks or bugs, but we haven't experienced any hiccups that haven't been easily solvable. I recommend their system and use it on a daily basis.
  • Customer Service is excellent.
  • Payments are prompt.
  • I get an email first thing every morning with last night's business details.
  • The contracts are pretty inflexible.
Upserve is definitely great for my restaurant.
Read Jeremy M. Goldstein's full review
Ulysses Acevedo profile photo
We use the entire Upserve system at an entertainment group of six entities. It addresses issues of retail operations, as well as inventory and employee management. We primarily use the system for retail transactions, but find it useful for tracking sales throughout the day. It helps us adjust our strategy for growing our retail operations.
  • Inventory management
  • Employee management
  • Tracking Sales
  • Better customer integration
It is definitely the best POS for restaurants, but it can easily be altered to suit the needs of any retail operation.
Read Ulysses Acevedo's full review
Jacob Moscynski profile photo
December 22, 2018

A blessing!

Breadcrumb and UpServe do an excellent job of making everything seamless! I use it every shift when we discuss trends and insights about the restaurant. This is what’s bringing restaurant work into a new age!
  • Seamless integration
  • Excellent UI and layout. Makes using it an aesthetic pleasure!
  • Wonderful customer service!
  • [Could use] better sales reporting.
  • Tagging needs work.
  • When you go into the wrong tab for locations, you can’t do anything else!
Useful for restaurants with high volume and need for product management. Everything is plain to see and very transparent. Would not recommend to a company not looking to fully commit to the integration.
Read Jacob Moscynski's full review
John Bonica profile photo
Breadcrumb is the POS system used in my restaurant to place guest dinner orders, organize and report sales, and track ordering patterns over time. Breadcrumb consolidates reporting information, dramatically reduces server errors in order-taking and reporting, and provides remote access to current service in real time.
  • Breadcrumb is an agile, responsive platform, so updating our menu — which occurs — is accomplished successfully in a matter of minutes.
  • Customer service —24/7 support — is excellent: a model for any company.
  • Set up costs were competitive with other premium POS systems, and monthly charges are quite reasonable.
  • Intermittently, the platform seems slightly unstable: items disappear from view (every time quickly rectified by the support crew, although phoning support during busy service hours is awkward).
  • The mobile app isn't as robust as the desktop version; it's difficult to drill down to details on my phone.
  • I'd like the table layout to be even more customizable than it is.
Breadcrumb and Upserve are a winning combination providing comprehensive POS service at my restaurant — as agile, flexible, and responsive as a '97 Porche 991 S, Breadcrumb quickly adapted to the intimate, personal dining experience we offer guests. An easy user interface, quick adjustments on the fly, and unsurpassed customer service if we have a question.
Read John Bonica's full review
Alex Mills profile photo
We use Upserve as our POS and to track our labor and sales.
  • Tracks labor
  • Tracks sales
  • Tracks repeat guests
  • I would like for Upserve to allow me to mark our food items as they are made instead of just being able to clear a whole ticket.
Upserve is perfect for busy restaurants where speed and efficiency are important.
Read Alex Mills's full review
Marty Enslein profile photo
January 31, 2019

Upserve is awesome

We use Upserve in our restaurant Black Sheep + Market for all of our order entries and reporting.
  • Sales and financial reporting
  • Great customer service
  • Ease of use over our previous POS system
  • Not sure yet. We are four months into the system but [it's] such an improvement over our previous system that I have no real improvement thoughts at this time.
Read Marty Enslein's full review
Our brick and mortar restaurant uses Upserve POS for all aspects of our business (taking customer orders, printing tickets to the kitchen, swiping customer credit cards, etc. etc.). We also use Upserve for employee time tracking purposes. What we do not do much right now is inventory tracking through the POS though I know it has that ability.
  • User-friendly interface. Easy to search for items if they are not on the screen immediately.
  • Easy to track inventory with one click - any of our servers can 86 an item if the kitchen tells them to do so.
  • Time tracking is really straightforward.
  • Payments are easy and streamlined. They even accept American Express.
  • On the back end, my in-house developer has said Breadcrumb's database is kind of a nightmare. I find all the categories and courses confusing. And now we're four years in with so much old data that needs to be archived. I wish there were ways to archive multiple items at once. Or change descriptions or prices of multiple items at once.
  • I wish the integration with 3rd party delivery like GrubHub were more streamlined. It's been a headache thus far.
  • I find entering different forms of payment confusing. Checks, gift certificates, etc.
  • It would be great if we could have checks that include both gratuity items and non-gratuity items instead of having to split them to different checks.
I don't know any other restaurant POS systems, this is the only one I have experience with. Overall I find it works well for my purposes and I've been able to find workarounds as needed.
I am outside service bookkeeper, and I use Upserve to enter the daily sales for one of my clients that usees the program at their restaurant. It makes it very easy for me to log in and review the daily sales, along with being able to submit payroll. Upserve has great customer service, every time we need to call we never have to wait on hold for long. The overall layout of the back end is very user-friendly, and I would highly recommend it for any restaurant to keep their numbers accurate.
  • User-friendly
  • Remote access to the program
  • Customer service
  • Editing payroll time: When an employee misses a clock out. Correcting the shift clock out time there seems to be an occasional glitch.
For example, when I notice there is a discrepancy between what the restaurant took made in sales versus what was deposited into the bank customer service is available and always locates the discrepancy.
January 24, 2019

Upsurge y'all

Upserve is an amazing product and has been the opposite of a POS as we all know what that stands for. In offline mode, Upserve collects all transactions no matter what, so no restaurant ever loses money!
  • Customer Support
  • Easy Menu updating
  • Great layout
  • User-friendly
  • Archiving menu items takes forever, they need to have click boxes to do multiple at once
  • Chip reader
  • Wireless kitchen printer needs to be mandatory
Great for small to medium-sized restaurants; might be difficult to have with a chain restaurant
Leandro Utrera de Paula profile photo
We are using the POS system in our 4 corporate restaurants and will be migrating the last one in 2 months. We use it for the employees to clock in/out, open checks for the guests, close checks, and receive payments.

It addresses better control for our restaurant operation, in fact, we have some concern about the security related to users, but I love Breadcrumb because their team is always up to improve the system according to our needs.
  • Very friendly interface for any level user, even the back office is pretty easy to deal with.
  • There is a 24/7 support that you can contact direct from your terminal.
  • Good rate when compared to other competitors.
  • The team that works for Breadcrumb is always willing to help.
  • User security is not the best deal, any employee can clock in/out without supervisor approval.
  • There should be more detailed security levels, for example, I do not want my manager to change roles, but if they can manage users they can manage roles as well.
  • Split Checks should be easier to deal with. Additionally to that you cannot use the same table until the previous check is closed.
For any restaurant business, this is a very good system.
Read Leandro Utrera de Paula's full review
We were using Breadcrumb as our overall POS system. It was okay at first but over time it just didn't perform how we liked. As we saw other POS companies growing and expanding the overall experience Breadcrumb stayed stagnant and just did enough to get buy. The overall user experience is mediocre.
  • breadcrumb does take orders and sends them to the kitchen.
  • Breadcrumb has detailed sales reports.
  • It is somewhat user friendly if someone is used to using an iPad.
  • Was nearly impossible to get ahold of an actual person if there was a problem.
  • Have all in one loyalty program... we had to get a third party to handle the loyalty program for awhile.
  • Maybe a different operating screen... it's kind of a boring eyesore.
With our current POS, Toast, there is no way I would recommend Breadcrumb to anyone.. Breadcrumb was good in the fact it did just enough to get by, but other than that there was no real appeal in using it. It was very frustrating at times not being able to get problems handled in a timely fashion. Not the most affordable POS either for what it does. Seems more ideal for something like a food truck, not sure if I could recommend it to anyone in a restaurant.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Scorecard Summary

About Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)

Upserve POS, formerly Breadcrumb, is a restaurant point-of-sale solution. The vendor describes it as easy to implement, with personalized onboarding, a dedicated success manager, and professional on-site installation, with 24/7/365 U.S. based in-house support team. Features include a training mode, check split, item hold, and more.

The product includes features for online ordering, table management, restaurant management, inventory, and customer management. Upserve POS also integrates with dozens of companies like GrubHub, Rezi, and Tock.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Features

Has featureEmployee Scheduling
Has featureTableside Payments

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Screenshots

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Competitors

Aloha POS, TouchBistro, Toast, Oracle Hospitality (formerly MICROS)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
Core$60per month per terminal
Pro$50per month per terminal

Our Core plan starts at $59 per month. This plan includes Payments Processing + EMV, Sales & Labor Reporting, Marketing Insights, Mobile App, Employee Scheduling, and Inventory and Online Ordering for an additional fee. Our Pro Plan starts at $199 with the first terminal free. This plan includes all core features, along with Menu Optimization, Server Performance, Loyalty, and Inventory and Online Ordering are included. Our Enterprise Plan starts at $359. This includes all the features of Pro, along with a dedicated success manager, custom reporting, and Data API Access.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Support Options