Breadcrumb is a point-of-sale software solution with features such as complete restaurant & bar management. Breadcrumb was developed by Groupon and sold to Upserve in 2016.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/kp/Ng/4QKMH448XV0F.JPEGUpserve WorksWe use Upserve POS in our tasting room and restaurant. I find them to be reliable, responsive, and straight-forward to deal with when we have any issues, which isn't regularly. I think all POS systems have their quirks or bugs, but we haven't experienced any hiccups that haven't been easily solvable. I recommend their system and use it on a daily basis.,Customer Service is excellent. Payments are prompt. I get an email first thing every morning with last night's business details.,The contracts are pretty inflexible.,8,I've only used Upserve, so I'm not sure what other systems may have been better suited or not.,A blessing!Breadcrumb and UpServe do an excellent job of making everything seamless! I use it every shift when we discuss trends and insights about the restaurant. This is what’s bringing restaurant work into a new age!,Seamless integration Excellent UI and layout. Makes using it an aesthetic pleasure! Wonderful customer service!,[Could use] better sales reporting. Tagging needs work. When you go into the wrong tab for locations, you can’t do anything else!,10,We know where we are month-to-month! With visuals! Excellent button customization. Communication is green and paperless now! No more wastes of money.Agile, Powerful BreadcrumbBreadcrumb is the POS system used in my restaurant to place guest dinner orders, organize and report sales, and track ordering patterns over time. Breadcrumb consolidates reporting information, dramatically reduces server errors in order-taking and reporting, and provides remote access to current service in real time.,Breadcrumb is an agile, responsive platform, so updating our menu — which occurs — is accomplished successfully in a matter of minutes. Customer service —24/7 support — is excellent: a model for any company. Set up costs were competitive with other premium POS systems, and monthly charges are quite reasonable.,Intermittently, the platform seems slightly unstable: items disappear from view (every time quickly rectified by the support crew, although phoning support during busy service hours is awkward). The mobile app isn't as robust as the desktop version; it's difficult to drill down to details on my phone. I'd like the table layout to be even more customizable than it is.,10,Bestsellers and slower items rise to the top in reporting features, making analysis quicker. Dramatically reduced server error Posed a challenge to continue face-to-face contact between servers and cooks; the POS tends to end conversations about special orders, special customer requests or restrictions, and generally conveys the nuances that contribute to excellent service. So we have to make a conscious effort to continue talking to each other.,,Apple iCloudUpserve is awesomeWe use Upserve in our restaurant Black Sheep + Market for all of our order entries and reporting.,Sales and financial reporting Great customer service Ease of use over our previous POS system,Not sure yet. We are four months into the system but [it's] such an improvement over our previous system that I have no real improvement thoughts at this time.,9,Helps me understand my business better than our previous system. I like the app for real time updates as I float between our resturants.,Breadcrumb/Upserve: The only service I knowOur brick and mortar restaurant uses Upserve POS for all aspects of our business (taking customer orders, printing tickets to the kitchen, swiping customer credit cards, etc. etc.). We also use Upserve for employee time tracking purposes. What we do not do much right now is inventory tracking through the POS though I know it has that ability.,User-friendly interface. Easy to search for items if they are not on the screen immediately. Easy to track inventory with one click - any of our servers can 86 an item if the kitchen tells them to do so. Time tracking is really straightforward. Payments are easy and streamlined. They even accept American Express.,On the back end, my in-house developer has said Breadcrumb's database is kind of a nightmare. I find all the categories and courses confusing. And now we're four years in with so much old data that needs to be archived. I wish there were ways to archive multiple items at once. Or change descriptions or prices of multiple items at once. I wish the integration with 3rd party delivery like GrubHub were more streamlined. It's been a headache thus far. I find entering different forms of payment confusing. Checks, gift certificates, etc. It would be great if we could have checks that include both gratuity items and non-gratuity items instead of having to split them to different checks.,7,I appreciate the daily summary emails in which I can track labor percentages - that has helped me make decisions about staffing and save money by not overscheduling staff.,,Zoho Books, Square for Retail
Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Reviews

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)
Filter 13 vetted Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) reviews and ratings

Jeremy M. Goldstein profile photo
January 24, 2019

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Upserve Works"

• Customer Service is excellent.
  • Payments are prompt.
  • I get an email first thing every morning with last night's business details.
  • The contracts are pretty inflexible.
Upserve is definitely great for my restaurant.
Read Jeremy M. Goldstein's full review
Jacob Moscynski profile photo
December 22, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "A blessing!"

• Seamless integration
  • Excellent UI and layout. Makes using it an aesthetic pleasure!
  • Wonderful customer service!
  • [Could use] better sales reporting.
  • Tagging needs work.
  • When you go into the wrong tab for locations, you can’t do anything else!
Useful for restaurants with high volume and need for product management. Everything is plain to see and very transparent. Would not recommend to a company not looking to fully commit to the integration.
Read Jacob Moscynski's full review
John Bonica profile photo
December 22, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Agile, Powerful Breadcrumb"

• Breadcrumb is an agile, responsive platform, so updating our menu — which occurs — is accomplished successfully in a matter of minutes.
  • Customer service —24/7 support — is excellent: a model for any company.
  • Set up costs were competitive with other premium POS systems, and monthly charges are quite reasonable.
  • Intermittently, the platform seems slightly unstable: items disappear from view (every time quickly rectified by the support crew, although phoning support during busy service hours is awkward).
  • The mobile app isn't as robust as the desktop version; it's difficult to drill down to details on my phone.
  • I'd like the table layout to be even more customizable than it is.
Breadcrumb and Upserve are a winning combination providing comprehensive POS service at my restaurant — as agile, flexible, and responsive as a '97 Porche 991 S, Breadcrumb quickly adapted to the intimate, personal dining experience we offer guests. An easy user interface, quick adjustments on the fly, and unsurpassed customer service if we have a question.
Read John Bonica's full review
Marty Enslein profile photo
January 31, 2019

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Upserve is awesome"

• Sales and financial reporting
  • Great customer service
  • Ease of use over our previous POS system
  • Not sure yet. We are four months into the system but [it's] such an improvement over our previous system that I have no real improvement thoughts at this time.
Read Marty Enslein's full review
January 09, 2019

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Breadcrumb/Upserve: The only service I know"

• User-friendly interface. Easy to search for items if they are not on the screen immediately.
  • Easy to track inventory with one click - any of our servers can 86 an item if the kitchen tells them to do so.
  • Time tracking is really straightforward.
  • Payments are easy and streamlined. They even accept American Express.
  • On the back end, my in-house developer has said Breadcrumb's database is kind of a nightmare. I find all the categories and courses confusing. And now we're four years in with so much old data that needs to be archived. I wish there were ways to archive multiple items at once. Or change descriptions or prices of multiple items at once.
  • I wish the integration with 3rd party delivery like GrubHub were more streamlined. It's been a headache thus far.
  • I find entering different forms of payment confusing. Checks, gift certificates, etc.
  • It would be great if we could have checks that include both gratuity items and non-gratuity items instead of having to split them to different checks.
I don't know any other restaurant POS systems, this is the only one I have experience with. Overall I find it works well for my purposes and I've been able to find workarounds as needed.
December 22, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Upserve: user friendly and great customer service"

I am outside service bookkeeper, and I use Upserve to enter the daily sales for one of my clients that usees the program at their restaurant. It makes it very easy for me to log in and review the daily sales, along with being able to submit payroll. Upserve has great customer service, every time we need to call we never have to wait on hold for long. The overall layout of the back end is very user-friendly, and I would highly recommend it for any restaurant to keep their numbers accurate.
  • User-friendly
  • Remote access to the program
  • Customer service
  • Editing payroll time: When an employee misses a clock out. Correcting the shift clock out time there seems to be an occasional glitch.
For example, when I notice there is a discrepancy between what the restaurant took made in sales versus what was deposited into the bank customer service is available and always locates the discrepancy.
January 24, 2019

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Upsurge y'all"

Upserve is an amazing product and has been the opposite of a POS as we all know what that stands for. In offline mode, Upserve collects all transactions no matter what, so no restaurant ever loses money!
  • Customer Support
  • Easy Menu updating
  • Great layout
  • User-friendly
  • Archiving menu items takes forever, they need to have click boxes to do multiple at once
  • Chip reader
  • Wireless kitchen printer needs to be mandatory
Great for small to medium-sized restaurants; might be difficult to have with a chain restaurant
Leandro Utrera de Paula profile photo
April 04, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Breadcrumb is an excellent POS system, but lack security"

We are using the POS system in our 4 corporate restaurants and will be migrating the last one in 2 months. We use it for the employees to clock in/out, open checks for the guests, close checks, and receive payments.

It addresses better control for our restaurant operation, in fact, we have some concern about the security related to users, but I love Breadcrumb because their team is always up to improve the system according to our needs.
  • Very friendly interface for any level user, even the back office is pretty easy to deal with.
  • There is a 24/7 support that you can contact direct from your terminal.
  • Good rate when compared to other competitors.
  • The team that works for Breadcrumb is always willing to help.
  • User security is not the best deal, any employee can clock in/out without supervisor approval.
  • There should be more detailed security levels, for example, I do not want my manager to change roles, but if they can manage users they can manage roles as well.
  • Split Checks should be easier to deal with. Additionally to that you cannot use the same table until the previous check is closed.
For any restaurant business, this is a very good system.
Read Leandro Utrera de Paula's full review
August 22, 2017

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "It works.. but it's nothing special"

We were using Breadcrumb as our overall POS system. It was okay at first but over time it just didn't perform how we liked. As we saw other POS companies growing and expanding the overall experience Breadcrumb stayed stagnant and just did enough to get buy. The overall user experience is mediocre.
  • breadcrumb does take orders and sends them to the kitchen.
  • Breadcrumb has detailed sales reports.
  • It is somewhat user friendly if someone is used to using an iPad.
  • Was nearly impossible to get ahold of an actual person if there was a problem.
  • Have all in one loyalty program... we had to get a third party to handle the loyalty program for awhile.
  • Maybe a different operating screen... it's kind of a boring eyesore.
With our current POS, Toast, there is no way I would recommend Breadcrumb to anyone.. Breadcrumb was good in the fact it did just enough to get by, but other than that there was no real appeal in using it. It was very frustrating at times not being able to get problems handled in a timely fashion. Not the most affordable POS either for what it does. Seems more ideal for something like a food truck, not sure if I could recommend it to anyone in a restaurant.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Scorecard Summary

About Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)

Upserve POS, formerly Breadcrumb, is a restaurant point-of-sale solution. The vendor it’s easy to implement, with personalized onboarding, a dedicated success manager, and professional on-site installation, with 24/7/365 U.S. based in-house support team. Features include a training mode, check split, item hold, and more.

The product includes features for online ordering, table management, restaurant management, inventory, and customer management. Upserve POS also integrates with dozens of companies like GrubHub, Rezi, and Tock.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Features

Has featureEMV
Has featureInventory

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Screenshots

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Competitors

Aloha POS, TouchBistro, Toast, Oracle Hospitality (formerly MICROS)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No