Breadcrumb is a point-of-sale software solution with features such as complete restaurant & bar management. Breadcrumb was developed by Groupon and sold to Upserve in 2016.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/kp/Ng/4QKMH448XV0F.JPEGA blessing!Breadcrumb and UpServe do an excellent job of making everything seamless! I use it every shift when we discuss trends and insights about the restaurant. This is what’s bringing restaurant work into a new age!,Seamless integration Excellent UI and layout. Makes using it an aesthetic pleasure! Wonderful customer service!,[Could use] better sales reporting. Tagging needs work. When you go into the wrong tab for locations, you can’t do anything else!,10,We know where we are month-to-month! With visuals! Excellent button customization. Communication is green and paperless now! No more wastes of money.Agile, Powerful BreadcrumbBreadcrumb is the POS system used in my restaurant to place guest dinner orders, organize and report sales, and track ordering patterns over time. Breadcrumb consolidates reporting information, dramatically reduces server errors in order-taking and reporting, and provides remote access to current service in real time.,Breadcrumb is an agile, responsive platform, so updating our menu — which occurs — is accomplished successfully in a matter of minutes. Customer service —24/7 support — is excellent: a model for any company. Set up costs were competitive with other premium POS systems, and monthly charges are quite reasonable.,Intermittently, the platform seems slightly unstable: items disappear from view (every time quickly rectified by the support crew, although phoning support during busy service hours is awkward). The mobile app isn't as robust as the desktop version; it's difficult to drill down to details on my phone. I'd like the table layout to be even more customizable than it is.,10,Bestsellers and slower items rise to the top in reporting features, making analysis quicker. Dramatically reduced server error Posed a challenge to continue face-to-face contact between servers and cooks; the POS tends to end conversations about special orders, special customer requests or restrictions, and generally conveys the nuances that contribute to excellent service. So we have to make a conscious effort to continue talking to each other.,,Apple iCloudBreadcrumb/Upserve: The only service I knowOur brick and mortar restaurant uses Upserve POS for all aspects of our business (taking customer orders, printing tickets to the kitchen, swiping customer credit cards, etc. etc.). We also use Upserve for employee time tracking purposes. What we do not do much right now is inventory tracking through the POS though I know it has that ability.,User-friendly interface. Easy to search for items if they are not on the screen immediately. Easy to track inventory with one click - any of our servers can 86 an item if the kitchen tells them to do so. Time tracking is really straightforward. Payments are easy and streamlined. They even accept American Express.,On the back end, my in-house developer has said Breadcrumb's database is kind of a nightmare. I find all the categories and courses confusing. And now we're four years in with so much old data that needs to be archived. I wish there were ways to archive multiple items at once. Or change descriptions or prices of multiple items at once. I wish the integration with 3rd party delivery like GrubHub were more streamlined. It's been a headache thus far. I find entering different forms of payment confusing. Checks, gift certificates, etc. It would be great if we could have checks that include both gratuity items and non-gratuity items instead of having to split them to different checks.,7,I appreciate the daily summary emails in which I can track labor percentages - that has helped me make decisions about staffing and save money by not overscheduling staff.,,Zoho Books, Square for RetailUpserve: user friendly and great customer serviceI am outside service bookkeeper, and I use Upserve to enter the daily sales for one of my clients that usees the program at their restaurant. It makes it very easy for me to log in and review the daily sales, along with being able to submit payroll. Upserve has great customer service, every time we need to call we never have to wait on hold for long. The overall layout of the back end is very user-friendly, and I would highly recommend it for any restaurant to keep their numbers accurate.,User-friendly Remote access to the program Customer service,Editing payroll time: When an employee misses a clock out. Correcting the shift clock out time there seems to be an occasional glitch.,9,Upserve cuts down the confusion for the servers and the users on the backend. There are little to no errors and the users are able to enter the orders quickly and efficiently.Breadcrumb is an excellent POS system, but lack securityWe are using the POS system in our 4 corporate restaurants and will be migrating the last one in 2 months. We use it for the employees to clock in/out, open checks for the guests, close checks, and receive payments. It addresses better control for our restaurant operation, in fact, we have some concern about the security related to users, but I love Breadcrumb because their team is always up to improve the system according to our needs.,Very friendly interface for any level user, even the back office is pretty easy to deal with. There is a 24/7 support that you can contact direct from your terminal. Good rate when compared to other competitors. The team that works for Breadcrumb is always willing to help.,User security is not the best deal, any employee can clock in/out without supervisor approval. There should be more detailed security levels, for example, I do not want my manager to change roles, but if they can manage users they can manage roles as well. Split Checks should be easier to deal with. Additionally to that you cannot use the same table until the previous check is closed.,8,Increased my monthly cost for the POS, but now we have an excellent system with 24/7 hour support. The comps and voids control isn't the best in Breadcrumb, but according to their team, this will be solved soon. Any manager can clock in as another manager, this is not good when you need to find who is not doing their job well.,MICROS PoS, Toast and Focus,Compeat, Paycom, QuickBooks Pro
Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Reviews

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)
Filter 10 vetted Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) reviews and ratings

Jacob Moscynski profile photo
December 22, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "A blessing!"

• Seamless integration
  • Excellent UI and layout. Makes using it an aesthetic pleasure!
  • Wonderful customer service!
  • [Could use] better sales reporting.
  • Tagging needs work.
  • When you go into the wrong tab for locations, you can’t do anything else!
Useful for restaurants with high volume and need for product management. Everything is plain to see and very transparent. Would not recommend to a company not looking to fully commit to the integration.
Read Jacob Moscynski's full review
John Bonica profile photo
December 22, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Agile, Powerful Breadcrumb"

• Breadcrumb is an agile, responsive platform, so updating our menu — which occurs — is accomplished successfully in a matter of minutes.
  • Customer service —24/7 support — is excellent: a model for any company.
  • Set up costs were competitive with other premium POS systems, and monthly charges are quite reasonable.
  • Intermittently, the platform seems slightly unstable: items disappear from view (every time quickly rectified by the support crew, although phoning support during busy service hours is awkward).
  • The mobile app isn't as robust as the desktop version; it's difficult to drill down to details on my phone.
  • I'd like the table layout to be even more customizable than it is.
Breadcrumb and Upserve are a winning combination providing comprehensive POS service at my restaurant — as agile, flexible, and responsive as a '97 Porche 991 S, Breadcrumb quickly adapted to the intimate, personal dining experience we offer guests. An easy user interface, quick adjustments on the fly, and unsurpassed customer service if we have a question.
Read John Bonica's full review
January 09, 2019

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Breadcrumb/Upserve: The only service I know"

• User-friendly interface. Easy to search for items if they are not on the screen immediately.
  • Easy to track inventory with one click - any of our servers can 86 an item if the kitchen tells them to do so.
  • Time tracking is really straightforward.
  • Payments are easy and streamlined. They even accept American Express.
  • On the back end, my in-house developer has said Breadcrumb's database is kind of a nightmare. I find all the categories and courses confusing. And now we're four years in with so much old data that needs to be archived. I wish there were ways to archive multiple items at once. Or change descriptions or prices of multiple items at once.
  • I wish the integration with 3rd party delivery like GrubHub were more streamlined. It's been a headache thus far.
  • I find entering different forms of payment confusing. Checks, gift certificates, etc.
  • It would be great if we could have checks that include both gratuity items and non-gratuity items instead of having to split them to different checks.
I don't know any other restaurant POS systems, this is the only one I have experience with. Overall I find it works well for my purposes and I've been able to find workarounds as needed.
December 22, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Upserve: user friendly and great customer service"

• User-friendly
  • Remote access to the program
  • Customer service
  • Editing payroll time: When an employee misses a clock out. Correcting the shift clock out time there seems to be an occasional glitch.
For example, when I notice there is a discrepancy between what the restaurant took made in sales versus what was deposited into the bank customer service is available and always locates the discrepancy.
Leandro Utrera de Paula profile photo
April 04, 2018

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "Breadcrumb is an excellent POS system, but lack security"

• Very friendly interface for any level user, even the back office is pretty easy to deal with.
  • There is a 24/7 support that you can contact direct from your terminal.
  • Good rate when compared to other competitors.
  • The team that works for Breadcrumb is always willing to help.
  • User security is not the best deal, any employee can clock in/out without supervisor approval.
  • There should be more detailed security levels, for example, I do not want my manager to change roles, but if they can manage users they can manage roles as well.
  • Split Checks should be easier to deal with. Additionally to that you cannot use the same table until the previous check is closed.
For any restaurant business, this is a very good system.
Read Leandro Utrera de Paula's full review
August 22, 2017

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Review: "It works.. but it's nothing special"

We were using Breadcrumb as our overall POS system. It was okay at first but over time it just didn't perform how we liked. As we saw other POS companies growing and expanding the overall experience Breadcrumb stayed stagnant and just did enough to get buy. The overall user experience is mediocre.
  • breadcrumb does take orders and sends them to the kitchen.
  • Breadcrumb has detailed sales reports.
  • It is somewhat user friendly if someone is used to using an iPad.
  • Was nearly impossible to get ahold of an actual person if there was a problem.
  • Have all in one loyalty program... we had to get a third party to handle the loyalty program for awhile.
  • Maybe a different operating screen... it's kind of a boring eyesore.
With our current POS, Toast, there is no way I would recommend Breadcrumb to anyone.. Breadcrumb was good in the fact it did just enough to get by, but other than that there was no real appeal in using it. It was very frustrating at times not being able to get problems handled in a timely fashion. Not the most affordable POS either for what it does. Seems more ideal for something like a food truck, not sure if I could recommend it to anyone in a restaurant.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Scorecard Summary

About Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb)

Upserve POS, formerly Breadcrumb, is a restaurant point-of-sale solution. The vendor it’s easy to implement, with personalized onboarding, a dedicated success manager, and professional on-site installation, with 24/7/365 U.S. based in-house support team. Features include a training mode, check split, item hold, and more.

The product includes features for online ordering, table management, restaurant management, inventory, and customer management. Upserve POS also integrates with dozens of companies like GrubHub, Rezi, and Tock.

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Features

Has featureEMV
Has featureInventory

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Screenshots

Upserve POS (formerly Breadcrumb) Competitors

Aloha POS, TouchBistro, Toast, Oracle Hospitality (formerly MICROS)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No