VMware Workstation is virtualization software which allows running multiple x86-based operating systems on one PC.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/iw/B7/XNEPDOZDGQTJ.pngVirtually head and shoulders above the restVMware Workstation is used in IT operations for running lab environments, testing software solutions/updates. It also allows us to run multiple operating systems on one virtual host. We also have some other departments that required Android hardware in order to run ONE android application. Instead, what we did was deployed VMware Workstation for them and now they run Android through this virtualized platform. There are also some really old applications we have that are required more maintenance for one or two people. Instead, of trying to run it on old hardware we virtualized it and it runs as a Windows XP/2000 virtual machine on a Workstation host.,Segregates networking Virtualizing multiple operating systems Resource management Device redirection (USB, printers),Integration with other VMware products More flexible networking functionality, like VLANs etc Pricing,9,Save countless dollars because you are saving time during Windows upgrades Allows testing outside the managed system for bandwidth testing, etc. Costly compared to some other options,Oracle VM VirtualBoxThere is no Image that VMware Workstation cannot handle.VMware Workstation has been used as our main virtual lab environment tool, this is where we do all our testings before publishing any new updates, as well as to troubleshoot and get more familiar with new features our product has to offer. For instance, I have multiple images set where I can quickly switch between them and spot any new changes that have been developed.,Mounting and creating multiple images. Creating restore point. Managing your PC resources efficiently.,Multi-monitor setup can be a problem. Some random problems with the mouse cursor not clicking where it should but on some other spot.,8,Positive impact would be that VMware is a simple, inexpensive solution. To be able to run such other software you would need completely new hardware, but VMware can run it for you virtually, thus, the savings are incredible. One VMware instance can run multiple instances of images simultaneously, therefore, it is very time-saving.,Hyper-V, Oracle VM VirtualBox and Oracle VM Server,Hyper-V, Oracle VM Server, Oracle VM VirtualBoxThrowing up Virtual Machines like a magic trickVMware Workstation automatically chooses adequately the settings needed in order to perform best, given you have "automatically" set in the relevant settings. Workstation Pro is also very efficient with the usage of your resources. The software is really full-featured for the price; it's money well spent. You can not get it wrong with this one. If you read the documentation, you can even get more benefits from the advanced usage of the tool. Allows for security research without causing harm to real machines, and it's easy to spin up to new or saved VM then reimage a machine.,I love VMWare Workstation because it is software that is fairly easy to use. The most exciting use of VMware Workstation is that it allows anyone to create a virtual machine in order to prevent viruses. Able to install any operating system you want quickly. Able to customize the machine operating system with RAM, Hard Disk, CPU, etc.,Audio can be a bit on the laggy side. Having to reboot for every update and VM reboots for VMtools updates.,9,We wanted to make some tests in a controlled environment without the need to make a fresh install in a real computer that is in deployment state. The ability to access, examine, and acquire various operating systems over a network is simpler when performed from the same operating systems.,Oracle VM VirtualBox,Oracle VM VirtualBox, Dropbox, Skype for Business (formerly Lync)Workstation: great for home use and developmentFor at home development of virtual machines, it is hard to find a better solution. VMware Workstation is primarily used as personal Linux and web development solutions. It is a super simple/flexible product that allows individual users very robust options. We use it for developing exploit capable boxes and ranges allowing staff to work from home while remaining productive without having to have a cloud solution from home. Currently, roughly 70% of our organization is using VMware workstation in some form or another, whether it's on BYOD, or assigned org devices.,VMware Workstation is very easy to use and learn. Little to no knowledge of virtual computing is needed to operate Workstation. The price point is not that bad. While there are free solutions out there that provide simple and basic virtualization solutions, VMware Workstation is definitely worth the money. Also, they offer educational discounts. While being easy to use it has advanced options, it can integrate into remote clouds as well. The snapshots offered on Workstation is a great feature many of the free virtual tools do not have. This allows you to save a live state or dead state of a machine. Allowing immediate rollback or roll forward to points you've saved.,Making it easy to export VMS is something that Workstation struggles with; exporting to OVA which is the primary type of VM we export to is cumbersome and can be difficult without proper knowledge on how to do this. Management of VMS could be a little bit more in depth. I think the networking portion of Workstation could use some slight improvements, more in-depth segmentation to support containers, however, this is a small issue and not something many people will miss or need.,9,It has allowed others and myself to work from home on projects intended for production use. It has greatly improved productivity and time to production. Development on personal Workstations and from home (which is what we use this for) has assisted our organization in managing home/work life balance. It has definitely has a positive impact on our organization.,,VMware ESXi, VMware vCenter ServerVirtual machines made easy!Oh where to begin. The uses for VMware Workstation are almost endless. First and foremost in my case, I use it to build Windows 7 and 10 images, and then capture them using FOG. Building images this way is so much cleaner and faster because they are universal, meaning they are not dependent on any hardware type. I love that I can make snapshots along the way, and if I run into any issues I can restore the snapshot, and keep on building.,Extremely fast image creation. VMware allows the user to boot into bios, unlike some other virtualization software. Customer support is remarkable, always willing to assist with even the smallest issues.,VMware to me is a little too simplistic during setup, and this has led to me having to go back through and change some of the options afterward. This, however, is subjective. Occasionally after an update, I have experienced freezing. I have had issues when backing up a VM to another PC, I would get an error when I start the machine on the new PC.,10,Image building is much faster Thinapp environment is much better maintained than with other virtualization software Users are much happier because of the ease of use and features of VMware.,Oracle VM VirtualBox, Kernel-based Virtual Machine and VMware Fusion,VMware ThinApp, Symantec Ghost Solution Suite, Ivanti IT Asset Management Suite (formerly LANDESK IT Asset Management Suite), BMC FootPrints Service Core, Google Forms, Apache OpenOffice, Cisco Catalyst, Apache Cordova, DameWare Remote Support, Kernel-based Virtual MachineA Perfect VM ManagerFrom my personal experience, VMware Workstation is a wonderful software. I can use different development environments using a single machine (with very accelerated performances). Thanks to VMWare I can develop different solutions and perform tests and debugging easily without any risk and with an immediate rollback speed.,immediate rollback speed with VM Snapshot connection with VSphere no risk of unwanted impacts,requires a minimum of system knowledge different VMs running at the same time can use a lot of resources the machine running VM Workstation must be very high performing,9,time saved during the configuration of new machines hardware saved compared to physical servers centralized management of multiple environments and less management timeVMware Workstation is a truly must have tool for modern IT professionalsWe use VMware Workstation to develop, test and demo our software which works with a dozen different databases - so we need virtual machines for numerous setups that we do not want to have running on our computers at all times. Plus some of those databases do not run on Windows so the ability to have a Linux server running as a VM also is extremely useful. In short, we could not do our jobs as easily without VMware Workstation.,Excellent tool for creating, running and sharing virtual machines Straightforward and easy to create and manage numerous virtual machines of different types Has the ability to deploy from VMware Workstation to the VMware corporate product - ESX,Better built in and automated support for keeping virtual machine file growth to a minimum without 3rd party tools user must download and install A simple wizard for exporting a complete working VM from VMware Workstation to Oracle Virtual Box with minimal user effort and expertise A simple wizard for importing a complete working VM from Oracle Virtual Box to VMware Workstation with minimal user effort and expertise,10,Could honestly not do our job without VMware Workstation - it is a true enabler Very low price makes it a no brainer purchase decision - plus they have regular sales for 20-30% off an already low price Has radically reduced hardware costs as we no longer deploy physical servers for all the different environments we need,VirtualBox,MySQL, PostgreSQLVMware is where it's at!I am currently the sole user of VMware Workstation to manage various virtual machines that serve as our Windows Imaging build and test environment. This solves the issue we had with hardware-based image building where the various drivers for the hardware could cause issues with sys prepping and capturing images for our computers.,Managing multiple virtual machines. I can have many virtual machines open and the resources it utilizes puts a minimum drain on hardware it is running on. Snapshot management is great in this software. Being able to take snapshots before a major update or software install is great to rollback to when or if something goes wrong. The interface for the software is pretty intuitive. Not a whole lot of things buried in menus that you have to dig around to find.,Don't have much negative to say about it. The GUI could maybe use a little more modernization but that's really pushing it.,10,The time I'm having to spend testing/building windows images is reduced vs. hardware based image building and that time saved I'm able to better use for other projects to better serve our environment.,Oracle VM VirtualBox,ShoreTel, OneDrive, BoxVMWare - A must have virtualization tool.We use VMWare product for our cloud lab, that provides virtual labs to students in university. I guess our department is using VMWare ESXI server from last 2-3 years or more than that. I personally like it very much as I manage the cloud lab being a Graduate Assistant. So I handle queries from students, create virtual lab for students, and troubleshoot problems related to VMware.,Easily Manageable Perfect Graphical User Interface Controlled and well structured Easy to troubleshoot,If we need to clone entire ESXI to perform some sort of Forensics on it, it is not possible to clone/Image entire ESXI.,10,Positives are: easily configurable, easy to troubleshoot, very easy to find what is where in MusterCluster.,virtual box,VMware ESXi, VMware Player, Oracle VM VirtualBoxVMware workstation virtualizes your problems - and helps you solve themIt's used by engineers to run various solutions in a sandbox, either for checking a new version or testing the current versions on customers' sample data.,Network Connections. Mounting images. Smooth and easily configurable interaction with the host.,The networking part could benefit from a more visual view so you see what is connected to where. Some sort of tool so you can easily understand what is causing slowdowns of your guest OS such as your hosts I/O or too little memory provisioned for the guest.,8,Quick assesment of various challlenges and questions.,Oracle VM VirtualBoxMy Experience with VMware WorkstationThe use of VMware Workstation is restricted as we own a limited number of licenses. However, since I work on the team that supports our virtualization initiatives, I am one of those people. VMware Workstation allows me to test software, configuration changes, etc., all on virtual machines on my PC rather than affecting our production VMware environments. I'm able to isolate VMs off the network if necessary, allow VMs access to the network via NAT (Network Address Translation), and also using bridged networking, giving the VMs direct access to our network.,It uses the resources of my laptop to create virtual machines that I'm able to use on my PC. It allows me to isolate VMs off the network if necessary. I'm able to take copies of VMs off of our production environment and load them in VMware Workstation to test configuration changes, software upgrades, etc.,If your PC doesn't have a lot of resources, it can drain your PC and cause a lot of slowness. Upgrading to new versions usually requires multiple reboots, which can be annoying.,10,VMware Workstation allows me to perform tasks without having to buy a physical machine to use. It also saves me from having to deploy test machines in our production virtualization environment.,VIrutalBox and VagrantWant a scalable virtual environment? Try Vmware WorkstationAll my academic projects are done on Linux and I use it on VMware Workstation. Apart from that my Hadoop cluster and centOS machine are also deployed on Workstation virtual machines.,Allow user customization. It's free for students It lets you run all your virtual machines in the background,Bugs and crashing. User interface More customization of virtual machines,8,Oracle VM VirtualBox,Skype, Anaconda, Docker, GitHub, MySQL, VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi
VMware Workstation

VMware Workstation Reviews

VMware Workstation

Do you work for this company?

Filter 44 vetted VMware Workstation reviews and ratings

Graham Murison profile photo
  • Segregates networking
  • Virtualizing multiple operating systems
  • Resource management
  • Device redirection (USB, printers)
  • Integration with other VMware products
  • More flexible networking functionality, like VLANs etc
  • Pricing
We have used VMware Workstation to virtualize old servers/workstations operating systems that are running on really ancient hardware. By doing this we are have reduced our hardware maintenance cost, power consumption, and cooling costs. It also does well when you are testing the deployment of new software packages or operating systems. This allows IT computers to be free of the bloatware that comes with so many software suites, upgrades for us just requires moving files around.
Read Graham Murison's full review
Stefan Trbojevic profile photo
  • Mounting and creating multiple images.
  • Creating restore point.
  • Managing your PC resources efficiently.
  • Multi-monitor setup can be a problem.
  • Some random problems with the mouse cursor not clicking where it should but on some other spot.
VMware Workstation is well suited for literally anyone, be it for a private project or for your work, It is usually being used for testing purposes or perhaps for virtual servers, whatever the task may be VMware Workstation can handle it with ease. As previously mentioned multi-monitor setup is something that needs to be worked on for the product to be fully implemented and usable in your environment.
Read Stefan Trbojevic's full review
valentine leamy profile photo
  • I love VMWare Workstation because it is software that is fairly easy to use. The most exciting use of VMware Workstation is that it allows anyone to create a virtual machine in order to prevent viruses.
  • Able to install any operating system you want quickly.
  • Able to customize the machine operating system with RAM, Hard Disk, CPU, etc.
  • Audio can be a bit on the laggy side.
  • Having to reboot for every update and VM reboots for VMtools updates.
It is really one of the best applications for virtualization in the market. The only problem is that this is not a free program, but due to all its functionalities it is worth the price.
Read valentine leamy's full review
  • VMware Workstation is very easy to use and learn. Little to no knowledge of virtual computing is needed to operate Workstation.
  • The price point is not that bad. While there are free solutions out there that provide simple and basic virtualization solutions, VMware Workstation is definitely worth the money. Also, they offer educational discounts.
  • While being easy to use it has advanced options, it can integrate into remote clouds as well.
  • The snapshots offered on Workstation is a great feature many of the free virtual tools do not have. This allows you to save a live state or dead state of a machine. Allowing immediate rollback or roll forward to points you've saved.
  • Making it easy to export VMS is something that Workstation struggles with; exporting to OVA which is the primary type of VM we export to is cumbersome and can be difficult without proper knowledge on how to do this.
  • Management of VMS could be a little bit more in depth.
  • I think the networking portion of Workstation could use some slight improvements, more in-depth segmentation to support containers, however, this is a small issue and not something many people will miss or need.
If you're a remote user for an organization, specifically for development, VMWare workstation is hard to beat. It's great for home use or even inside organization BOYD type solutions. It is not a replacement for a private or public cloud. It is not intended for production level scenarios; it's more intended for small solutions like classrooms and home use.
Michael Timms profile photo
  • Extremely fast image creation.
  • VMware allows the user to boot into bios, unlike some other virtualization software.
  • Customer support is remarkable, always willing to assist with even the smallest issues.
  • VMware to me is a little too simplistic during setup, and this has led to me having to go back through and change some of the options afterward. This, however, is subjective.
  • Occasionally after an update, I have experienced freezing.
  • I have had issues when backing up a VM to another PC, I would get an error when I start the machine on the new PC.
VMware is not just well suited, but it is a necessity in a thin client environment. Other virtualization software can be used of course, but none of the others that I have used come with the customer support that VMware does. It is also perfect for a PC environment that uses FOG for imaging, because building images is so much faster on VMware than on a live machine.
Read Michael Timms's full review
February 08, 2018

A Perfect VM Manager

• immediate rollback speed with VM Snapshot
  • connection with VSphere
  • no risk of unwanted impacts
  • requires a minimum of system knowledge
  • different VMs running at the same time can use a lot of resources
  • the machine running VM Workstation must be very high performing
Scenarios in which this product is useful are if:
  1. you are a developer or you are often interested in new products
  2. you want to carry out extensive tests on certain products or features particularly impacting products that are already used in the company
  3. you have the intention to make particularly risky changes
  4. you can create specular environments and test everything on the virtual. machines
Bert Scalzo profile photo
  • Excellent tool for creating, running and sharing virtual machines
  • Straightforward and easy to create and manage numerous virtual machines of different types
  • Has the ability to deploy from VMware Workstation to the VMware corporate product - ESX
  • Better built in and automated support for keeping virtual machine file growth to a minimum without 3rd party tools user must download and install
  • A simple wizard for exporting a complete working VM from VMware Workstation to Oracle Virtual Box with minimal user effort and expertise
  • A simple wizard for importing a complete working VM from Oracle Virtual Box to VMware Workstation with minimal user effort and expertise
Best virtualization solution for desktop use and at a very fair price - much better than free tools from Oracle or even VMware (you get what you pay for)
Read Bert Scalzo's full review
Evan Miller profile photo
  • Managing multiple virtual machines. I can have many virtual machines open and the resources it utilizes puts a minimum drain on hardware it is running on.
  • Snapshot management is great in this software. Being able to take snapshots before a major update or software install is great to rollback to when or if something goes wrong.
  • The interface for the software is pretty intuitive. Not a whole lot of things buried in menus that you have to dig around to find.
  • Don't have much negative to say about it. The GUI could maybe use a little more modernization but that's really pushing it.
Windows Imaging - using this to build and test images prior to being rolled out to a production environment is a key point of this software and how I use it. With the multiple feature updates with Windows 10 OS it is ever more important to properly test everything (virtually).
Read Evan Miller's full review
Ramandeep Singh profile photo
We use VMWare product for our cloud lab, that provides virtual labs to students in university. I guess our department is using VMware ESXi server from last 2-3 years or more than that. I personally like it very much as I manage the cloud lab being a Graduate Assistant. So I handle queries from students, create virtual lab for students, and troubleshoot problems related to VMware.
  • Easily Manageable
  • Perfect Graphical User Interface
  • Controlled and well structured
  • Easy to troubleshoot
  • If we need to clone entire ESXI to perform some sort of Forensics on it, it is not possible to clone/Image entire ESXI.
Very suitable for creating virtual operating systems, as it offers a lot of options. Very easy to install any kind of LINUX distro, doesn't matter if it is Debian or whatever, QNX or any. I even installed Yosemite once, just for testing, it was perfectly running on VMWare Workstation. I also use virtual box but I strongly recommend VMWare Workstation.
Read Ramandeep Singh's full review
Ulf Thornander profile photo
  • Network Connections.
  • Mounting images.
  • Smooth and easily configurable interaction with the host.
  • The networking part could benefit from a more visual view so you see what is connected to where.
  • Some sort of tool so you can easily understand what is causing slowdowns of your guest OS such as your hosts I/O or too little memory provisioned for the guest.
  • Quick comparisons between different versions of an application.
  • Replaying network traffic to a tool without interfering with your "real" network.
Read Ulf Thornander's full review
Ben Liebowitz profile photo
  • It uses the resources of my laptop to create virtual machines that I'm able to use on my PC.
  • It allows me to isolate VMs off the network if necessary.
  • I'm able to take copies of VMs off of our production environment and load them in VMware Workstation to test configuration changes, software upgrades, etc.
  • If your PC doesn't have a lot of resources, it can drain your PC and cause a lot of slowness.
  • Upgrading to new versions usually requires multiple reboots, which can be annoying.
I really like VMware Workstation for a dev/test environment. I'm able to test changes and upgrades outside of my production environment with little to no impact. I've also used it in order to access my work environment from home on my personal PC. I'll create a bare VM and VPN from that as to not install extra software on my personal PC, etc.
Read Ben Liebowitz's full review
Ayush Choukse profile photo
  • Allow user customization.
  • It's free for students
  • It lets you run all your virtual machines in the background
  • Bugs and crashing.
  • User interface
  • More customization of virtual machines
If you have to deploy several virtual machines then VMware Workstation is the best option.
Read Ayush Choukse's full review

VMware Workstation Scorecard Summary

Virtual machine automated provisioning (7)
Management console (10)
Live virtual machine backup (9)
Live virtual machine migration (9)
Hypervisor-level security (10)