Overall Satisfaction with Adobe Flash
We attempted to build a new website from the ground up and decided Flash was the best software to start with. There was a learning curve to address, and a coding language to learn, but since Flash is so widely used there are tons of videos and resources to hold your hand as you build up your portfolio.
- The scalability of what Flash can do makes it so useful. You can do something simple like make a ball bounce on screen over some letters before showing your logo, or something more complex such as developing an animated short to display.
- Using Flash videos on websites is very commonplace, so people are used to seeing it and have the necessary plugins installed already.
- The files are very small, and the compression is very smooth. This helps if you are trying to send content to mobile devices or simply keep your website footprint small to ensure fast loading times.
- It's being replaced in 2020 so it most likely is not worth learning for anyone who hasn't used it before. Apple devices don't play nice with Flash videos either, and that's a large user base.
- Its battery consumption for mobile devices is poor, and probably won't be addressed due to HTML5 replacing it in a year
- One of our original reasons for using Flash was for animation, but Toon Boom (a competitor) is really better set up for that task. With built-in mouth synch capabilities, it does a lot of the busywork for you, that Flash made you do yourself.
- Negative, anyone who spent time learning the program now feels sad that it's going away.
- Animation that was done on Flash but can now be made with Toon Boom or even Adobe After Effects.
- On the plus side, since it's an Adobe product, you can rent it instead of buying the full license. That means potentially people could use it for a little longer without having to shell out as much money.
Well suited for the past, not well suited for the future. With fewer and fewer platforms that accept Flash, and a hard deadline of no more support from Adobe in 2020, it's a dinosaur - was very cool and ruled the world in its day, but doomed to extinction. Still, you can still recognize some cartoons and videos as being made by Flash just by their look, and that's impressive brand recognition.