It works fine I guess
May 28, 2019
It works fine I guess
Engineer in EngineeringTransportation/Trucking/Railroad Company, 51-200 employees
Score 9 out of 10
USM Anywhere (SaaS)
Overall Satisfaction with AlienVault USM
We use it to monitor a CDE (card data environment) for PCI compliance.
- Integrations, like with Azure, Windows, IIS.
- Notifications/e-mail alerts on changes.
- How many events/data points are recorded and how you can drill down into them.
- Our Azure integration broke at some point because some credentials changed. I didn't set it up originally but I had to fix it. It didn't feel easy to get it back up and running. It wasn't completely straightforward.
- It's sometimes hard to find specific types of events in the reports. Like if I'm looking for all of a specific type of event, it can be hard to know what page to use, what knobs to turn and buttons to push to find what I'm looking for.
- It's hard to find subscription/billing information, like to know when we last paid, how much it was, for what subscription, what were the details of what we paid for. Is it that I don't have access to see this? Is it hard to get to, or is it just that I don't have access to see it? I don't know which one of those it is. I needed to get this information to my manager recently and wasn't able to do it. I'm not sure if they ever got what they needed. Are we going to try to auto-renew with an expired credit card? Who knows.
I wasn't involved in the purchasing decision and I don't even know about others out there. I imagine this was picked because it was the easiest option to get started with and checked off the most boxes. I know the person picking it at the time was the only one involved and was likely looking for the simplest and easiest thing to get going.
If you need absolutely hardcore security monitoring I'd recommend it. Like if you have a CDE and need to know what's going on in there and what, if anything, has changed, it's pretty awesome. We're reducing PCI scope though and may not need it in the future. If there was a more limited and much cheaper version I'd recommend we stick with that just because this is what we know, even if we no longer need all the change controls and alerting in the future.