Anaconda - The tool to master for Python based data analytic taskshttps://www.trustradius.com/data-scienceAnacondaUnspecified8.6521012019-01-17T21:08:38.800Z
January 17, 2019
Anaconda - The tool to master for Python based data analytic tasks
Score 8 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Anaconda
The data science and operation research team in our company majorly uses Python as the programming language. So Anaconda was chosen to provide one research platform, allowing the data scientists to work on one unified environment, across different OS, using the same language while being able to share the work progress as well as results and promote the team efforts.
- Anaconda itself already carries the most popular Python packages so for most developers it is sufficient enough to deal with the normal work requirements.
- The Jupyter Notebook is a very encouraging feature which allows the researcher to apply the data analysis in an intuitive way. It provides step by step understanding the data, processing the data, visualizing the data and trying out the different methodology and algorithm
- Both the old version of Python and the new version of Python are supported, giving a very good backward compatibility of some old Python codes developed beforehand.
- Although some other users mentioned the installation is "simple", we did encounter some challenge in a highly controlled environment (due to security reasons).
- Jupyter Notebook is extremely slow when the client/server side of the network's speed/bandwidth is not balanced.
- Bootstrapping Anaconda takes too long, sometimes I even started doubting it would respond any more.
- If there are extra python packages you need but are not by default installed by Anaconda, then some efforts will be required to figure out how to put them in the right place.
- Anaconda helps a lot for standardizing the Python analytic environment, speeding up the research progress, saving a lot of extra setting up time.
Anaconda is very suitable for a research team/lab/department which has many data scientists who want to apply some Python-based analytic programming and want to cooperate in sharing the results easily. It is not very well suited for final production environment deployment.