Overall Satisfaction with Chargify
We use it to implement recurring billing for our cloud email sending service.
- Incredible reliability - we have literally never had a minute of downtime with Chargify in five years. This is astonishing.
- Simplicity - the API is relatively easy to use; we were able to get it set up without assistance. Comparatively, services like Zuora require a heavy enterprise consulting engagement to get set up.
- Their API documentation has holes; they could definitely do better here.
- They have quite weak client libraries and have outsourced this critical task to the open source community. That's a mistake. They should have their own client libraries, which they update regularly and ensure are working properly.
- Well, literally it allowed our service to exists. Without a system like this, we'd have had to build it ourselves, which is unthinkable.
We evaluated Recurly early on but rejected it because at the time it did not support the payment gateway we needed, and lacked some metered billing stuff that we needed. I understand they now have improved, but we did not go back to re-try them.
Anyone with a subscription-based service who needs a fairly comprehensive recurring billing system that they can get up and running quickly, and then basically never worry about again. Chargify is particularly well suited to applications with complex component billing (aka different product add-ons and things which are metered).