IBM Cloud in education
August 03, 2020
IBM Cloud in education
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cloud Object Storage
I work as a website developer under Software Development Cell, USICT. The main objective of this organization is to deploy a seasonal website for a hackathon or admissions. Mostly it develops websites for the ACM chapter of the university. We as SDC, use IBM Cloud Object Storage for PDFs and to host images of the events mostly for static website hosting and static content distribution. Right now the service is used only by our SDC department.
- Most durable and reliable when compared to an on-premises storage warehouse. Data written to cloud storage is stored across other regions to achieve almost 99% uptime and durability.
- A secure way to keep user and organization data safe. With IBM Cloud an administrator can set role-based policies and access permission across each level.
- Cost effective technique to store Terabytes of data.
- Personally, there are few to count but sometimes the user experience does not appeal to me.
- When compared to other competitors in the market, IBM lags behind in community meetings and meetup/on-line events and demos.
- Prior to cloud storage, we used on-premises storage devices to store and backup, and sometimes it was a headache to scale up or down the storage according to our needs. With the introduction of Cloud Object Storage, we don't have to worry about scaling.
- The uptime is also improved a lot after the introduction of Cloud Object Storage in our organization
- Obviously, it's a very cost-effective way to store and archive data.
Mostly we use IBM Cloud Object Storage for archiving events. Though our organization knows about these features still we are coming up with different ways to use cloud SQL for our use.
We host about 3-4 events (online-include) at our ACM chapter. And when it comes to transferring GBs of data across different levels of our organization, the speed and reliability of IBM Aspera give us relief. Also, one can upload any amount of data (ingress) using the Aspera high-speed data transfer feature at no cost, not a single penny.
Most of our data is archived whether it's images or other event data (online, offline). For this, the Cold Vault storage class tier is used primarily as an archive (accessed a few times a year).
- IBM Watson Studio (formerly IBM Data Science Experience)
- IBM Watson Machine Learning
IBM Watson Studio is used by the students as a part of their research work under the ACM chapter in USICT. I love the fact that to get started and use this you don't have to add any payment or credit card details. This matters a lot when it is mostly used by undergraduates students.