Overall Satisfaction with Novell Vibe
This product is being used as the backbone of our intranet. It is used across the entire organization. The problems it addresses are mainly company wide communication and electronic form usage. We are also using it some for file storage.
- You can create electronic forms with powerful workflows behind them. This allows for supervisor approval/rejection of forms. The workflows also allow for email alerts when certain stages are met.
- Built in social media tools. Each employee has a feed which other employees can follow.
- Allows employees to create teams in which they can chose members and rights.
- The product has a small user base, have had problems finding solutions online.
- Upgrades are not as frequent as they could be.
- Need to know JSP to do advanced customizations.
- It has improved communication. Before often people who needed to know certain things weren't getting the information, now it is delivered automatically.
- Made forms more efficient.
The main alternatives were Sharepoint or creating a custom Drupal install. Sharepoint was too expensive and didn't fit into our Novell environment. The Drupal solution we found was beyond our technical ability.
It works and we have invested quite a bit of time in customizing the product. Most other products would incur quite a jump in expenses.
If you are already using Novell products, it fits seamlessly in. If your company is 100% Microsoft then maybe SharePoint would be a good alternative. For small firms with a limited budget for an intranet solution this could be a good choice.