Overall Satisfaction with OpenRoads Designer
Due to client requirement for an Infra project to be done using the Bentley system, only some in the Infra team have picked up OpenRoads (with the rest still stay on Autodesk products). Though it took a fair bit of trying to understand the workings methods and environment of OpenRoads (especially for those transitioning from older versions), once familiar was quite helpful in speeding up modelling works. However adding linked geometric data (e.g. volume, area etc.), non-geometric data (e.g. material type, grade etc.) and "smart" structural openings to model components is still heavily manual and a pain when there's changes.
- Creating linear models, since the app is based on alignment models and templates to extrude along the alignment.
- Precise long section/profile along horizontal alignment. The app practically flatten the horizontal alignment for profile generation.
- Template control. Though the template creation takes a bit of effort to create due to the point rulings. However when done right allows the model to be specifically modified with use of functions like super-elevation, point control, widening, parametric etc.
- Creating data. Currently will need to create data tag (e.g. volume, length, material type, material engineering criteria etc.) of component manually. Some of the commonly use data in AECOsim should be preset in OpenRoads.
- Ability to link geometric data values to geometric properties. Currently not linked (e.g. volume value, length value etc.) and had to be keyed in and/or changed manually.
- Opening (eg. for MEP interface) creation and modification still manual. There should be a smart opening creation that would create openings at interface location and auto enclose the mesh opening so that the volume will take into account the opening(s) created.
- Drawing creation from model have speed up drawing delivery by 80%
- Model creation for linear project based on simple design speed up model delivery by 80%
- Capturing model change due to alignment change have help speed up change capture by 80%
For any linear model creation that follows an alignment. Not suitable to vertical modelling like Buildings.