There is no doubt that ProjectWise (PW) is powerful, it is probably one of the oldest and most developed file management tools out there.
- It works for collaboration
- The backend is customisable to do work that other document management systems just cannot do.
- It's worse than a virus, it WILL get into every part of your system, with the only way to get rid of it is to do a full system format.
- Integration is dependent on if Bentley wishes to support your software.
- DMS system, it just makes it incompatible with native programs unless you have integration, which is at Bentley's discretion for support, exporting to your system is a work around, though this takes significant time to export and to re-teach PW linked file locations when you reimport it.
- Clunky user interface, if you want to work on more than 1 file at a time expect to be at least 50-80% slower.
- a Labyrinth of forms that are prone to user error.
- Interface straight out of Windows 2000, and that's generous.
- Inability to delete or even "Recycle bin" files, this is more an admin issue but most PW instance lock out deleting files, which makes it impractical for general use.
- Encourages unnecessary and convoluted workflows, This comes down to the Pro of "The backend is customisable," it may be customisable but this encourages system admins to write convoluted and time consuming workflows just because they can.
- Seems to require an IT team to manage it - this probably relates to the highly customisable component.
If you need something more than just a file server, my advice: try it, if you like it use it, if you find it is slowing you down try ANY of the many other products out there. It is capable, it is highly developed, it is better than a file server, but it is not streamlined and is in need of a major overhaul for an acceptable 21st century user experience. I personally have threatened to quit my job if we changed from our current document management system to ProjectWise, this is not because ProjectWise is not a good product, it is because I just want to be able to do my job without wasting time fighting the system.