My Oracle DW Review
August 02, 2018
My Oracle DW Review
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Oracle Data Warehouse
The Oracle Data Warehouse is a robust platform being used by many departments for Data Storage, Reporting from Stored Data, & also to build Marketing products. Mostly used for Analytics, as it is easy to query the data & stores a huge amount of data in a pre-processed form required for analytics of a variety of business aspects.
- Scalable for the storage of very large data.
- Simple queries to pull down the data compared to transactional databases.
- Compatibility with variety of other tools, & industry support.
- Not effective if we compare it with current Big Data applications.
- Other warehouses are better for parallel processing.
- Prices are high for few functionalities which are supposed to be bought separately.
- Very cost effective for large databases.
- Very fast results on simple queries.
- Analytical functionalities are of wide range, which makes it very cost effective.
- For smaller businesses, it might be a great asset.
- Some features are supposed to be bought separately, so one needs to consider this before licensing with Oracle DW.
Hadoop still being a naive field, we have very few expertise with great knowledge in Hadoop. Oracle Data Warehouse does not support unstructured data, where as Hadoop does. There are a lot of functionalities which Oracle Data Warehouse provides, which makes us us not to go for Hadoop and many other tools, unless it is highly necessary. Hadoop is way difficult to learn compared to Oracle's easy User Interface.
For any business sectors dealing with large databases, and working on Analytics to improvise their business services, solutions or products, Oracle Data Warehouse can be a great option. The only scenario where I wouldn't recommend Oracle Data Warehouse is businesses with small databases, as it might not be very cost effective. It does provide all great functionalities including Storage services, BI Analytics, Security & more.