https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/RG/Nz/ZCHAFMO32VIZ.PNGKing of VisualizationsTableau Online is used by various departments in our company as interactive reports and dashboards which help the company make data-driven decisions as well as anomaly detection for our Dev Ops.,No local maintenance. This is in comparison to Tableau Server which requires local installation and maintenance. Getting upgraded to the new version of Tableau Online is automatic. Most comprehensive data visualization software I've used.,Tableau has never been good at creating tabular workbooks like spreadsheets. This is not its selling point, but there's still a lot of people who are used to and expect this format. Being able to send a non-interactive copy of a workbook to a large group of recipients (possibly people who don't have licenses) in Tableau has always required workarounds using the tableau command line tool. Hope there's a more straight-forward way of doing this.,7,7,6,Treasure Data, Amazon RedshiftDashboards for scientific dataWe used Tableau Online as a means of prototyping how dashboards could enhance our primary product offering.,Easily shared with others The most powerful and complete visualizations available Easy to create quick, useful dashboards,Ease of Integration with data through Web Services Ability to integrate with other software,9,Sisense,8,9Great merchandising and analytics tool for retail companiesTableau is currently used by our analytics and marketing team. I currently use it for merchandising purchases, it is a great tool to see what items are selling and what the inventory status is all in one. I have filters in the tool that are flexible to what I need and I'm able to merchandise our products online more efficiently.,What I love about Tableau is that I can filter items by SKU performance. We have tons of items that feature different colors and designs and I am able to see which option is selling the best and provide that information to our buying team. Being able to see the currently available units, excess and inventory projections has saved me the time when it comes to picking which item I should feature when I am merchandising. There are many filtering options within the tool so it is easy to personalize data and export results that you need.,I'm not sure if this is standard for everyone but our Tableau is updated twice a week so the information may not be the most up-to-date possible. There's no search function in the tool which would help me a lot if I am seeking information about a specific item. There are frequent software updates which require you to completely reinstall everything.,9,8,8,Monetate, PowerReviews, Information Builders WebFOCUS, JIRA SoftwareFulfils all your basic BI requirements, slightly pricey, great visualisations!Tableau Online is extensively used by the analytics and reporting team at my organisation. The reports generated using Tableau are shared (in an automated manner) with teams spanning various verticals across the entire organisation. Tableau fulfills a critical use case for the analytics team - allowing us to monitor data and deliver quick insights.,For a business that executes frequent data-driven decisions, Tableau can be very helpful. The visualisation options offered on Tableau are simply brilliant. One can choose between Tableau Online and Tableau Desktop. Using Tableau Online waives users of the responsibility of maintenance at their end.,Sharing reports to users / business folk who do not use Tableau themselves can be challenging. While the visualisation options are great, Tableau seems to let go of simple Excel-like features. Having a combination of both would be far more powerful. Integration with other softwares could be better.,8,Amazon Redshift and Microsoft Power BI,7,8,Microsoft Power BI, Salesforce App CloudTableau online easy to use and reportWe use Tableau for reporting primarily to Execs for projects and financials. Also used by our Product department for analyzing product changes and to track how people are using our system. Primarily used by the product department and IT but starting to make it's way into other departments as we expand it.,Easy to understand dashboards, really good for managers and execs Easy to create dashboards once you have the right data UI layout for creating new dashboard is good,Formatting dashboards is a little technical, a more user friendly version would be nice Ability to export reports out to other formats More color and options would be good,9,JIRA Software,9,10,JIRA Service Desk, JIRA Software, Atlassian Confluence
Tableau Online

Tableau Online Reviews

Tableau Online
Top Rated Award
Filter 150 vetted Tableau Online reviews and ratings
March 02, 2018

Tableau Online Review: "King of Visualizations"

• No local maintenance. This is in comparison to Tableau Server which requires local installation and maintenance. Getting upgraded to the new version of Tableau Online is automatic.
  • Most comprehensive data visualization software I've used.
  • Tableau has never been good at creating tabular workbooks like spreadsheets. This is not its selling point, but there's still a lot of people who are used to and expect this format.
  • Being able to send a non-interactive copy of a workbook to a large group of recipients (possibly people who don't have licenses) in Tableau has always required workarounds using the Tableau command line tool. Hope there's a more straight-forward way of doing this.
Tableau Online is well suited for people who would rather not maintain their servers locally. Tableau, in general, is well suited for people who need graphical visualizations of their data and not just spreadsheets-like tabular reports.
Read Rolando Bernabe Tribo's full review
February 12, 2018

Tableau Online Review: "Dashboards for scientific data"

• Easily shared with others
  • The most powerful and complete visualizations available
  • Easy to create quick, useful dashboards
  • Ease of Integration with data through Web Services
  • Ability to integrate with other software
The Tableau interfacing allows the greatest flexibility of any other product for producing exactly what you want in a visual display (including details on a mouse click).
Read Keith Boyce's full review
March 28, 2018

Tableau Online Review: "Great merchandising and analytics tool for retail companies"

• What I love about Tableau is that I can filter items by SKU performance. We have tons of items that feature different colors and designs and I am able to see which option is selling the best and provide that information to our buying team.
  • Being able to see the currently available units, excess and inventory projections has saved me the time when it comes to picking which item I should feature when I am merchandising.
  • There are many filtering options within the tool so it is easy to personalize data and export results that you need.
  • I'm not sure if this is standard for everyone but our Tableau is updated twice a week so the information may not be the most up-to-date possible.
  • There's no search function in the tool which would help me a lot if I am seeking information about a specific item.
  • There are frequent software updates which require you to completely reinstall everything.
Tableau is really useful for merchandising the website and homepage. If I have no clue what to feature, I can easily open the software and search which categories or items are performing the highest and also make sure I have enough inventory to support it. I guess it would be less helpful if I were searching a specific item because I would have to do a lot of filtering since there is no search capability.
March 28, 2018

Tableau Online Review: "Fulfils all your basic BI requirements, slightly pricey, great visualisations!"

• For a business that executes frequent data-driven decisions, Tableau can be very helpful.
  • The visualisation options offered on Tableau are simply brilliant.
  • One can choose between Tableau Online and Tableau Desktop. Using Tableau Online waives users of the responsibility of maintenance at their end.
  • Sharing reports to users / business folk who do not use Tableau themselves can be challenging.
  • While the visualisation options are great, Tableau seems to let go of simple Excel-like features. Having a combination of both would be far more powerful.
  • Integration with other softwares could be better.
As a business, if you do not wish to invest money, effort, hours, and people into managing servers and maintenance at your end, Tableau Online is a great choice to use. It allows you to work on the things that really matter.
On the other hand, having Tableau manage and maintain your servers comes at a price that not all organisations can afford.
July 14, 2018

User Review: "Tableau online easy to use and report"

• Easy to understand dashboards, really good for managers and execs
  • Easy to create dashboards once you have the right data
  • UI layout for creating new dashboard is good
  • Formatting dashboards is a little technical, a more user friendly version would be nice
  • Ability to export reports out to other formats
  • More color and options would be good
Tableau has taken over as our default reporting tool for managers and execs
Also use it for reporting our financials to the CFO
CFO then uses it to report to board and rest of the company
Product department can easily create reports to show trends and how our system is being used, this helps guide future product changes
January 17, 2018

Tableau Online Review: "Get what you pay for"

We are using Tableau to visualise trends in our time-series datasets to track the impact of our projects. The product is mostly being used by our Experience Design team to investigate whether or not various projects are reaching their design goals. In the past, we made assumptions about the effectiveness of our products and services; however with Tableu and more data-driven approaches we can drill down on our datasets to test these assumptions. The resulting visualisations can be used to demonstrate project status, impact goals, and campaign interventions to key stakeholders.
  • Handles time-series data extremely well, so that correlations can be drawn from different events
  • Well-suited for visualising queries from data warehouses such as AWS RedShift
  • Attractive, slick visualisations
  • Would be nice to see better support for cleaning and consolidating heterogeneous data sources
  • It is possible to restrict access to a data table on a per-record (row) basis, but not possible to restrict access to data on a per-column basis
  • Steep learning curve for people who aren't from a data science background
Tableau is excellent quality; however, it is an expensive product. It would be well-suited for larger organisations that have already been generating large volumes of raw data and wish to extract further insights into trends and correlations. For these organisations the insights provided by Tableau could help steer key business decisions and result in increase efficiencies in operations and informed business growth.
February 07, 2018

Tableau Online: "Tableau Usage Review"

It is used in the Analytics department. It helps to visualize the data much better.
  • Amazing visualization
  • Excellent support
  • Good integration with R & Hadoop
  • Should be as simple as Excel so that the person with no IT training can use
  • Not comfortable with the security
  • Costly
Well suited for quick visualization and data pull. Need functionality for scheduling.
December 07, 2017

Tableau Online Review: "Tableau is great, but pricey for entire organization"

Tableau is being used on a departmental basis, but I'm seeing it increasingly rolled out across orgs. It's a bit pricey so I think that's where the hesitation has been in adopting company-wide.
  • Consolidated real-time reporting
  • Good visuals (charts, graphs, etc.)
  • Handles large data sets that excel cannot
  • Does require some upfront training
  • It's pricey to obtain user licenses for everyone
  • Because of the costs, it's important to ensure there is high adoptability and you are not paying for licenses that go unused
Very good for creating dashboards that are updated in real time. This is great for executive reporting and anything that needs to be published on a consistent repeatable basis because you don't have to manually go in and update charts, data, etc. It's good for having data feed in directly in real-time and once you have reports/charts set up, there is little manual effort required to keep updated.
Read Andrea Carden's full review
September 05, 2017

Tableau Online Review: "TABLEAU - next gen of BI"

In my organization, Tableau Online is being used for data analytics and forecasting circumstances. Currently, it is in it's nascent stage of development where the team is trying something new with the tool. The tool address many of our day to day operations. It helps us pinpoint problems, which makes it easier for us to make decisions.
  • It can use multiple data sources.
  • It has ready-made templates for visualizations.
  • It has reliable support.
  • It is UI friendly.
Tableau Online is well suited for small to medium organizations. In the classroom, this would be a good teaching tool for university students to enter the world of BI. Tableau Online could assist in making well informed financial decisions regarding stock market pricing and help to maximize stock options.
Read Banbhalang Kharpuri's full review
December 29, 2017

"Review of Tableau Online"

Tableau Online was used to share analytics about finance/banking products with customers. This was used by the selected group in the organization to increase the level of engagement for the sales department for selling the product. This was usually used to address the complex pricing grids and hidden charges for personal loans, mortgages etc., with the competitors to make the pricing model as easy to understand as possible for better marketing the products.
  • Tableau Online handle the security areas very well for Operational security, User security, Data security, Network security and Application security.
  • Tableau Online infrastructure performs regular maintenance to ensure system stability, security, and performance. The data centers are equipped with fire suppression and other monitoring systems designed to detect environmental issues and respond to them before they cause an outage.
  • Tableau Online backup media is encrypted and always maintained in a secured facility. Disk-based backups are stored in secured data center facilities. Backups made to external backup providers are encrypted in transit and in storage. Only approved system administrators have access to backups.
  • Data blending has some limitations regarding non-additive aggregates such as COUNTD, MEDIAN, and RAWSQLAGG. Non-additive aggregates are aggregate functions that produce results that cannot be aggregated along a dimension. Instead, the values have to be calculated individually.
  • Tableau only shows the values that are represented in your data. If your data does not contain the complete range of values, the missing values will not be shown. For example, Sales Data for January to July and November through December. If there was no data recorded for August to November and if a line chart is created in Tableau, the missing months will not be shown. An option is to show the missing months to make it clear that there was no data recorded during that time.
  • Null values can sometimes appear in place of the data you want in the view when you use data blending.
Tableau is Yearly charged per user. It is Saas and Multi-Tenancy, secure and no access to other companies and it is maintained by Tableau. It cannot connect to cubes.Tableau Online means you don't have to worry about the scaling - it is just there and works. For those who don't have IT infrastructure to handle it, Tableau Online is a great alternative.

Tableau Online eliminates the need for a server environment, which includes hardware, deployment, and maintenance. Tableau Online can communicate directly with other cloud-based analytics services, such as Google BigQuery and Amazon Redshift. It also has compatibility with Salesforce and Google Analytics. From a cost analysis point Tableau Server environment is less than the Tableau Online considering the starting cost, configuration cost so for small and medium scale industry can go for a Server environment.
October 27, 2017

User Review: "Tableau Online"

We use Tableau Online in my business segment in order to aggregate data from many different departments. We have set up parameters such that the individual data feeds are uploaded, and said parameters calculate metrics as per our contracts' stipulations. Once the metrics have been calculated, the report is published and we are able to use the final numbers in other reports and in speaking with our state partners.
  • Visualizations of data
  • Aggregation of complex big data
  • Tabbed browsing for organization
  • Online zooming into small data gets very hard to see and very grainy
  • Viewing raw data sources
  • Explanations of calculations
It is a great business analytics tool for when firms need a lot of big data aggregated into easily digestible slices and dices. With no metadata layer, it lends itself well to many sources uploading feeds, and minimal corruption. I find that compared to other data analytics software, the error is usually via calculation/user error instead of software.
November 01, 2017

User Review: "Tableau Online - Best tool for me"

My organization is a partner of Tableau Software. We advise our customers how to use Tableau and why it is a good solution for them. We also help them to implement Tableau within their organization and give support after implementation. Finally, we help our customers to prepare their first dashboards and reports.
  • Easy editing through a web browser.
  • Flexible role management.
  • Speed.
  • Payment for a licence for every user, even someone who just wants to view reports without editing.
  • Lack of a simpler version for a business user with fewer features.
Tableau Online is very useful for a scattered organization with users spread in many different destinations. Tableau Online enables data analyst to share their job with business users immediately, wherever they are. These users have an opportunity to introduce their comments online and all of this speeds up the circulation of information. On the other hand it is rather useless if all users are in one office.
March 09, 2017

"How Tableau Online is working for us (review from a new user)"

Currently, Tableau Online is being used by one department to help launch some new products we're developing. It will allow us to provide dynamic online visualizations - something up until now we never could do since we've always been a PowerPoint company. Jumping from PowerPoint to Tableau is a huge step - we've never had an online deliverable for clients before.
  • Dynamic visualizations: it may seem simple but having tooltips appear when a user hovers over a number is very nice.
  • Filter-able visualizations: in PowerPoint I have to produce ten slides for ten filters of data. In Tableau, I can do it once and allow the user to filter the chart himself.
  • Online and interactive: PowerPoint is static and not particularly pretty and is a file that gets emailed or passed around. Having the ability to send our clients a username and password so they can access their own results is a big plus.
  • I'd love to be able to control privacy and security a bit more in Tableau. We ended up using a SSO as a workaround.
  • This may be a product of our company's demands but moving a sheet around on a dashboard by adjusting the width and x/y addresses can be tedious.
  • I would love to be able to modify or customize the UI of Tableau Online. Not because it looks bad in any way, it would be nice to customize for clients (perhaps that is something that can be done that I have yet to be exposed to).
We have been able to transfer most of our "classic" PowerPoint slides into Tableau and publish them. That said, the more customized the slide with more charts, tables, etc., the more complicated it becomes. Again, this may be more the fault of folks here who are set in their old ways -- but not everything that was once presented to clients in PowerPoint is easily recreated in Tableau Online.
July 15, 2016

Tableau Online Review: "Tableau: brings powerful data tools and the ability to share with your stakeholders."

We are using Tableau as the BI backbone for our groups. Though mainly used by our sales organization to help them see into their customer segments, geography, and customer buying patterns, it is also used to aggregate that data up to the management decision makers as well. We have external stakeholders who rely on that information as well.
  • Data visualization is bar none the best feature on Tableau.
  • The ability to drag and drop and ease of use to slice the data into different views.
  • Being a dashboard tool in a more intuitive and more stable than an Excel based dashboard.
  • While user intuitive, that is really only true for those with data analysis and BI experience. This is still a tool for experienced data crunchers and not something I would unleash to many in my organization.
  • Still requires business intelligence consumers to be specific in their requests for data in dashboards, so it still requires the touch point between the data and the user, it requires someone with some know-how, to be in the middle. So it is still not democratizing our organizational data.
You need to have enough data to make sense. The value really comes when you add unstructured data so if you are using structured data only from a single system or you have a holistic system the cost may not be justified. However if your holistic system has a poor dashboarding system or their third party add-on for BI is cost prohibitive for your user base, Tableau is a great choice to augment your existing systems.
Read Kristopher Kroona's full review
July 13, 2016

Review: "Tableau Online - Your Data When / Where / and How You want It"

Tableau is used in many different departments throughout my organization. It is used in every department from Sales and Engineering to Accounting and Production. Tableau is used to analyze trends in large amounts of data and reveal the patterns locked into the data. It also excels at building dashboards that are able to provide management and other users with dynamic easy to understand visuals.
  • Easy to use and set up
  • Scales well within a growing organization
  • Works well with mobile or cloud based platforms
  • Easy to customize access for a variety of users
  • Customizing a particular look can be challenging
  • Has a bit of a learning curve
I have found that it is well suited for sending reports out to any level in the organization. Executive management used to receive many emails each day with a report, slides, and analysis. Now the majority of those updates and reports all flow through Tableau Online. They are able to get live data and digest and analyze it at their own pace. They are more prepared when they walk in to meetings and find it easier to explain trends with the Tableau Dashboards.
Read Lance Smith's full review
May 02, 2016

Tableau Online Review: "Tableau - Why & Why Not???"

I work for the business intelligence team which interacts with multiple businesses like product, finance, marketing etc. One of the main responsibilities of our team is to fulfill reporting requirements for these businesses. We use Tableau 9.0.4 as avisualization layer. We use multiple reporting tools which helps us compare them. So I clearly can tell the difference of why and where we should use Tableau.

Standard way of implementation in our environment -

So the way it is used in our environment is we gather the requirements and figure out the data modeling which would suit Tableau. Then we build the SQL and architect the data model and bring in the whole model inside Tableau. So in general words we do all the ETL work as an separate layer before visualization in the case of Tableau. Once we bring in the data model we construct graphs, grid on top of it in Tableau Desktop and publish it online.

• Data Source Connectivity- It provides lot of data source connection options. Tableau provides and option to connect to a file (Excel, Text, Access, CSV etc. ), connect to DataBase (Microsoft SQL Server Oracle, Amazon RedShift etc.), ODBC connections, Google Analytics, SAP Hana and many more.
  • Creating visualization is very easy. It's pretty much drag & drop options for creating visualizations.
  • Excellent mobile support. Tableau put a lot of effort into developing a robust mobile client. Sensitive Control & Reports are pixel perfect.
  • Good Customer Support & Low Cost Maintenance compared to Microstrategy, Business Objects etc.
  • There is no concept of Change Management or versioning. The way it works is -i) Connect to your source ii) Build the reports in Desktop iii) Publish them online. Now for example if you did some modification & republished it, Tableau Online would always show the latest version. There is no way to retrieve the previous version of report.
  • Connection with Hadoop (Hive ) using ODBC drive is cumbersome. Interaction is very slow. Not impressive at all.
  • No Distribution and Scheduling options.
  • There is no way to bring in all facts and Dimensions inside Tableau and create your data model inside Tableau.

If you see Gartner's magic quadrant it would appear that Tableau leads in the world of visualization which is true in a sense.

Let me give a perfect scenario where Tableau suits the most -

While creating your data warehouse if you are ETLing the data, creating all your relationship and hierarchy in a separate tool and pushing them to EDW and are expecting to report and visualize out of a reporting tool, Tableau would be a perfect tool to do that.

Let me give a perfect scenario where Tableau shouldn't be used -

If you are planning to ETL the data, create your fact and dimensions and bring them inside tableau for creating your relationship and hierarchies then you are wrong. Tableau doesn't support any sort of data modeling options inside it.

Read Abanish Mishra's full review
April 09, 2016

Tableau Online Review: "Tableau brings Dun & Bradstreet data to life!"

Our organization (Dun & Bradstreet) leverages Tableau to visualize data found in D&B. The speed and power of the tool is unparalleled and is becoming an important tool we use to work with our clients and partners. At D&B, our very large database of 253 global companies requires a highly interactive visualization tool to unlock the insights and depth of information in this dataset. Tableau addresses a wide range of business problems. We use it to illustrate data in Procurement, Trade, Security etc,.

Tableau is used across several groups and depts. within D&B.
  • Very quick to ingest data and get to the visualization.
  • Powerful visualization options allows us to present the data in different perspectives and aligned to user business requirements.
  • Much more flexible thanExcel or other tools to allow us to zero in on key data elements, find exceptions or identify patterns indicative of further analysis.
  • Tableau creates emotional appeal and interest in the data.
  • Makes it easy for any user to understand the data and figure out how to leverage the insights.
  • Would be nice to have a guide or "wizard" help with design suggestions during the building of Tableau visualizations.
  • Suggest ways to improve the data being loaded into the tool.
We find it best suited where normalised data can be readily found.
Read Phil Dana, PMOC's full review

Pixel Perfect reports (12)
Customizable dashboards (17)
Report Formatting Templates (16)
Drill-down analysis (17)
Formatting capabilities (17)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (10)
Report sharing and collaboration (16)
Publish to Web (15)
Publish to PDF (15)
Report Versioning (11)
Report Delivery Scheduling (12)
Delivery to Remote Servers (6)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (15)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (14)
Predictive Analytics (14)
Multi-User Support (named login) (16)
Role-Based Security Model (14)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (13)
Single Sign-On (SSO) (10)
Responsive Design for Web Access (10)
Dedicated iOS Application (7)
Dedicated Android Application (7)
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (9)
REST API (5)
Javascript API (5)
iFrames (3)
Java API (3)
Themeable User Interface (UI) (4)
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (4)

About Tableau Online