MoveIt makes my life easier!
November 08, 2021
MoveIt makes my life easier!
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Progress MOVEit (formerly Ipswitch MOVEit)
We use MoveIt to streamline the movement of files. It's not only used for IT purposes, but various business units as well. As we aim to automate more and more processes, MoveIt is proving to be an extremely valuable tool for us. It's intuitive, flexible, and powerful. It really allows to us just set it and forget it.
- It is very flexible
- File parsing / manipulation is easy
- The programmability built into it makes advanced tasks much easier to implement
- Email "Templates" would be nice. Instead of creating an email alert per job, requiring each job to be update when there's a change, have a template that can apply to multiple jobs
- Logging in the webUI isn't the greatest. The log retention period could be better
- Keep more than 5-runs of detailed job logs
- We see over 5000 operations a day, saving HOURS of employee time. Many of these operations happen over night after day-end processing which would not be feasible to have a staff member manage.
- Allows for consistent file movement policies (Always encrypt for example)
- Used for moving business critical files across nearly every department.
We previously used Attunity MFT (Formerly Repliweb MFT); We were looking to move away from the platform becuase, while flexible, it was too flexible. The flexibility was gained by running scripts with each job to do what you want. So, not only did you have to define the job (Source and Destination), you had to have a fairly strong programming background. Tasks as simple as renaming files with a date stamp, required a script be written. MoveIt has many of these basic macros available for file name manipulations like various date pieces, times, file names, etc, and they're all well documented. Ex: [OrigName] = Original Filename (TestFile.pdf), [OnlyName] = Just the filename, no extension (TestFile), [OnlyExt] = Just the file extentions (.pdf). Pretty much every field within a job can use pre-defined Macros, which is a huge benefit. We also moved away from that platform because it had gone stale, it wasn't their "Core" product. The vendor supported it, but was not actively developing it or fixing bugs or anything. We went 2-3 years without even an update to the binary. MoveIt is one of Progress's "Core" products, so they are adding features / functionality and fixing bugs actively.
Do you think Progress MOVEit delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Progress MOVEit's feature set?
Did Progress MOVEit live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Progress MOVEit go as expected?
Would you buy Progress MOVEit again?
Its exceptional at moving files from their source to various destinations and integrates well with the MoveIt Transfer piece. I have over 250 tasks defined in MoveIt to automate file movements from all different areas of business. I wouldn't recommend MoveIt if you need to do some advanced file parsing / maniuplation. While it does do basic manipulations, there are easier ways to do it.