SAP BO and I: A love story
January 15, 2019
SAP BO and I: A love story
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform
SAP is currently used by a single department but for data that is pulled business-wide. We integrate the date of various departments and create reports in order to find out any casuality issues across the business as well as to determine if changes in one area are having the desired effect across the business. It addresses an issue we had with data being difficult to link together across large areas of the business to see if the data held by one department could be used to make savings in another.
- Ingest data from multiple areas of the business and use them to generate easy to understand reports.
- Report scheduling is simple and efficient allowing the team to run reports at a variety of different times to suit the stakeholder's needs.
- The metalayer takes away some of the complexities of other programs, allowing the end user to interact with the program in a clean and efficient way.
- We have had some difficulty linking up with data in some of our web portals. This has caused a large amount of development time, and support has been less than its usual helpful self in this regard.
- Older versions had functions which have now been removed, or replaced with less effecient functions. For example the HTML output option.
- Some configuration issues have arisen when we have attempted to configure API'S. Some require a JDBC connection, which was slightly more difficult than expected.
The ease of merging data from separate parts of the business and then using that data to create meaningful statistics and reports is so easy with the software. We generally had no issues once we were up and running and were able to circumnavigate most problems with ease. The included reports are very good, but customizable reports are fantastic giving us the tools to create exactly what we needed.
Sharing data has become very easy using the tool and meets our needs quite precisely, we report back to a lot of teams and business areas and using SAP has meant we don't need to struggle to do this in a timely manner.
The software is fantastic at pulling data from a wide variety of sources, such as the cloud, servers and even desktops. We have used this to generate reports based on a wide data sample. Whilst we haven't attempted it with the software, it is probably less appropriate to use it for single data sources that have a consistent data set. It's not that I think it couldn't handle it, it's more that it may be overkill for such a straight forward task.