TrueSight for a True Win
April 04, 2017
TrueSight for a True Win
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with TrueSight Operations
As an IT service provider we use TrueSight Operations to monitor all of the IT infrastructure of our company but also of our clients from many industries. Having a single console where we can monitor and manage just about every OS from Windows, through the Unix flavors and to the more rare like IBM iSeries, many types of databases, web site transactions, mail engines and network devices and then apply multiple layers of analytics to the resulting data gives us an edge.
- The ability to have a single URL and a consistent user interface for all types of systems keeps training costs down. When we train someone to leverage MS SQL monitoring they just learned everything they need to monitor Windows or Linux.
- Event management is powerful in TrueSight. We had a solution from another vendor running for one customer to monitor their F5 load balancers and the resulting ticket noise was averaging over 11,000 tickets per month. Within two weeks of moving that to BMC we got the monthly average down to 400 tickets per month.
- A single agent to manage it all. We have tools from another vendor and to manage an e-commerce server it was common to have to have 3 or 4 separate agents installed to collect everything we needed for monitoring. With TrueSight it all comes from the newly enhanced, streaming, Patrol Agent. Just add Knowledge Modules to the agent (which are remotely deployed and managed) and you can monitor just about anything from a single agent.
- BMC has elected to not build in network monitoring which has always been a problem for us. They do have an excellent partner in Entuity for that but purchasing from a partner means separate contract talks.
- They are merging in many old products into an every growing TrueSight tool but some tools have seen features dropped on the initial move and then we have to wait for future releases for the features to be added back in.
- The cost of the tool has been a challenge to build into our cost models and still remain competitive. To do this we have to both eliminate other tools that have duplicate features and push automation to improve the labor ratio of the IT support teams.
- Having a does-it-all monitoring tool has allowed us to bid on new contracts without having to shop and learn for new tools.
- BMC's constant updates of new technologies allows us to offer services to customers quickly after new technology from big data to cloud to new updates to classic system hits the streets.
We have done extensive comparisons between the products and some where quickly eliminated for lacking functionality or support for key technologies. The features that really pushed TrueSight to the top over other full suites from CA, ScienceLogic, SolarWinds, HP, Foglight and IBM was a mix of deal-breaking gaps for us in areas including support of iSeries, QoS reporting, integration options to other platforms and advanced analytics with event management.
If you have a large or complex environment then this tool can be the perfect fit. From many types of OS, database, applications and web sites supported out of the box and powerful customization ability, TrueSight can manage the most complex. If you have a simple or small IT shop then this tool suite may be over-kill and not worth the complexity to set up.