Overall Satisfaction with Upwork
I don't use Upwork at my organization, however, I've been an Upwork member for a year working as a freelancer in analytical writing and mostly in Spanish to English translations and vice-versa. It is a great tool for creating a clients database for freelancers like me who like producing extra money by using my writing abilities.
- Upwork's payment platform is really secure since it counts with direct bank account linking Upwork counts with hacking prevention and a high level of encryption. Also, it is always really responsible for its payments, if you do the work listed in the time provided, then expect to be paid.
- Other sites have a minimum rate, in Upwork this is free, so the competition with other freelancers gets interesting. And there is a progression once you get more work, which allows you not to be stuck with the same work rate.
- When trying to hire a freelancer, it's really easy to set the money you will expect, since the freelancers provide a fixed or hourly rate. You can specify a preference in your job posting depending on your needs.
- Upwork is pricey, they take 10% of every transaction of the freelancer, and if you have a premium membership the cost gets higher.
- Doing your first freelancer job can be difficult since there are so many freelancers on that website, so be prepared to set a really low rate at first.
- The website can be a bit laggy. I have lost some jobs just because I'm not able to load the information before the clock finishes just because of some lag issues.
- Upwork's rate of 10% might seem a little high, but it has had an excellent impact on my freelancing translation business, talking from the economic side.
- It has allowed me to get to know almost all of the clients I currently work with.
From a freelancer point of view, Upwork is an excellent platform for starting to work on your own. It can help in connecting with lots of potential clients whose needs match your talents, whether it is for writing to graphic design and software developing, just keep in mind that at first, it will be a little bit difficult getting your jobs with a good pay rate but once you gain a good reputation, work will practically come along.