Severe growing pains
September 05, 2019
Severe growing pains
Manager in Information TechnologyBiotechnology Company, 201-500 employees
Score 4 out of 10
Vertex Cloud Indirect Tax
Overall Satisfaction with Vertex
We are using Vertex Cloud to collect sales tax from our customers in the US, and to manage customer exemptions.
- We honestly haven't found one thing they do well, but they are good at passing the problems we bring to them onto someone else.
- Related to that, they are very good at poor communication.
- They excel at filing inaccurate tax returns, and especially at not checking to make sure the returns were accepted by the states.
- It seems as though no one in the organization, from sales, implementation, or support, has a clear idea of how the system works.
- Any US-based company that has a single company code, and plants abroad, is going to run into major problems when implementing Vertex.
- We've discovered that Vertex isn't even able to keep up with the changing tax laws and rates.
- The interface for setting up limited customer exemptions is just atrocious.
- On paper, Vertex has allowed us to meet the sales tax requirements for US states. In reality, they are doing this by filing inaccurate or incomplete returns.
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Vendor Reputation
The single most important factor was the integration with SAP. Vertex had convinced us that they were able to easily handle limited customer exemptions, which turned out to be a completely false claim.
The system offers the ability to configure locations, returns, exemptions, and mappings. All of those areas are severely limited, confusing, or completely useless.
No, their support has always been subpar, difficult, and time-consuming. There are a number of issues that have gone on for months, and new issues come up every month when returns are filed and paid.
I'll give them a 4, which is being generous, because our company situation is somewhat unique in that we are dynamic, fast-changing, and take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Vertex, on the other hand, is slow, and really only understands the regular 'department store' type businesses that sells to taxable customers.
Vertex Feature Ratings
Sales and Use Taxes
VAT / GST Taxes
Energy and Fuel Taxes
Geolocation for Tax Assessment
3rd-Party Software Integrations
Tax Data Reporting
Compliance Administration Management
Tax Exemption Processing
Tax Document Management
Complex Tax Scenario Management