Likelihood to Recommend
Apache Kafka is extremely well suited in near real-time scenarios, high volume or multi-location projects. It can solve escalation problems for a fraction of the cost other solutions do and it has the flexibility of open source scenarios.
- High volume/performance throughput environments
- Low latency projects
- Multiple consumers for the same data, reprocessing, long-lasting information
- Still a bit inmature, some clients have required recoding in the last few versions
- New feaures coming very fast, several upgrades a year may be required
- Not many commercial companies provide support
Likelihood to Renew
Apache Kafka 9.0
Based on 1 answer
Kafka is quickly becoming core product of the organization, indeed it is replacing older messaging systems. No better alternatives found yet
Kafka is faster and more scalable, also "free" as opensource (albeit we deploy using a commercial distribution). Infrastructure tends to be cheaper. On the other hand, projects must adapt to Kafka APIs that sometimes change and BAU increases until a major 1.x version comes out and adds stability to the product.
Return on Investment
- Easier deployment and horizontal scalability
- Messaging cost reduction
- Developments require adaptation and some paradigm shift to interoperate with Kafka
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?