Likelihood to Recommend
It's quite well suited for a medium to large size VMWare virtualization infrastructure where your production infrastructure can be failed over to a disaster recovery site. There are other cheaper options for a smaller budget business. Also, for a non mission critical virtual infrastructure, you can simply use VM backups such as Veeam backups for restoring failed VMs
- Easy configuration and setup.
- Testing of a particular VM or datastore with several VMs is easy.
- Auto configuration of IPs makes the process even easier.
Team Lead in Information TechnologyHigher Education Company, 10,001+ employees
- It’s unfortunate, but more and more, the quality of VMware’s products and the technical support teams behind them has degraded significantly. We have opened several support requests within the last few months and ended up resolving a large majority ourselves due to the poor performance of their remote teams.
- VMware is suffering from the same illness that’s affecting multiple U.S. technology firms, in that their focus has shifted completely away from their customers and moved to pleasing investors. In doing so, clients suffer because they do not get properly tested products and the support teams behind them are very weak and overwhelmed.
- We worked close to a month trying to get SRM V6.5 to work. We have worked with many previous versions of SRM in the past while using HP EVAs, NetApps and Hitachi arrays, and we can honestly say that we are greatly disappointed with this release and the company.
- We escalated right up to engineering, but their response times were brutally slow; the technicians were juniors at best.
- As a technology leader, the last thing you want during a DR is to be dealing with a company that just can't deliver. SRM is not cheap, and you would expect much better products and support from VMware.
- If you are comparing products, try other companies like Veeam... We ended up using them instead, the setup and execution was easy and seamless, and they answered all our questions quickly and efficiently. They actually do care about their clients.
Likelihood to Renew
VMware SRM 10.0
Based on 1 answer
VMware SRM 9.0
Based on 1 answer
VMWare SRM is very easy to use and configure. You don't have to be a virtualization expert to learn SRM configuration and execution.
VMware SRM 7.0
Based on 2 answers
Sometimes we have to struggle explaining the problem and getting it resolved on priority. The overall quality of support team is not as good as it used to be in past.
Entertained Veeam, however with SRM's tight integration and "brand" it was an easy decision. The cost for a 25 server license also weighed in the decision for using a VMware product. Plus I am a VMware fan and feel this option to go with SRM will transcend jobs.
Return on Investment
- The biggest positive is that we have a data recovery solution that we can test and verify in a live condition. Prior to this we were only hoping we could recover from a disaster.
- We've been only running for 4 months and haven't had to use SRM.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?