Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Michael Davey profile photo
Veeam is being used to backup our virtual systems to a local NAS and a Veeam Cloud Connect repository. In addition, the Veeam Availability Console is used to monitor, administer and manage our customer backup environments. Veeam itself addresses the issue of finding a reliable and consistent bakcup solution for our environment which we in turn recommend to all of our customers.
  • Backup transparency - unlike other vendors, Veeam's solution tells you exactly what is being backed up and where it's going to before then packing it into a single concise backup file.
  • Varied job run options - there is a large variety of customisation in how you can set your backups, backup copies and replications to run. This can be adjusted to suit any business of any size.
  • UI & Reporting - the notifications and in depth reporting available is fantastic and provide you with a huge wealth of knowledge straight out of the box. The UI is also made really easy to navigate and is bursting with information throughout.
  • It would be great to have better replication seeding so that replication jobs and backup jobs using the same VM could work concurrently. This feature is available but I have found it a little bit unreliable in past experiences.
  • It would be great to be able to see more information about a backup repository in the infrastructure tab such as disk quantities, raid versions and serial numbers.
  • Currently backup scheduling on copy jobs can be a little unclear to people without a reference model. A more guided wizard on creation of these jobs or more granular scheduling options could help less familiar users to navigate this portion of the console.
I cannot recommend Veeam enough. In place of backup exec, we have seen a customers job success ratios rise from 60% to over 90% in a week. It is so much more reliable and clearly a better suited product to the workload.

I have yet to deploy Veeam into an environment and it not be appropriate.
Read Michael Davey's full review
Martin Tillbrook profile photo
We currently use Veeam Backup & replication to protect two separate, medium-sized VMWare environments. Each environment has in the region of 200 VM's protected. We found Veeam to be efficient and generally straightforward for both taking and managing backups and bring us into compliance for disaster recovery policies in place in the business.
  • Protecting (backing up) all our server infrastructures.
  • Ease of recovery of data. Especially for user data, it is quick and efficient to recover data when needed.
  • Compliance with DR plans.
  • Errors are often difficult to diagnose with complex error messages that don't mean much.
  • Software updates often cause other issues with storage hardware which then require firmware updates.
  • Reporting could be better. We currently use a 3rd party tool to report as the built-in reporting doesn't seem to be too good.
In our use case, two backup VMWare infrastructures, it is very good, if not a little expensive. Generally speaking, it is low maintenance and trouble-free and provides an industry-standard to protect our VMs. We use a variety of different storage mediums including SAN, NAS, and Tapes, and it is quite happy interfacing with all of the above. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again in any new environments.
Read Martin Tillbrook's full review
David Thornton, CISSP profile photo
I am currently working for a company where we utilize Veeam Backup and replication to back up two to three hundred virtual machines. We also take advantage of backing up a number of physical systems. We use the backup software to solve the issue of a potential disasters or simply when a user makes a mistake with a single file.
  • Runs reliably - rarely do we see failures
  • has great reporting capability
  • Is easy to set up and maintain
  • Add the ability to choose the network for the destination VM location
  • The "Delete source VM" option should be DISABLED by default, not enabled
  • There are not that many cons to the product it really does work great.
Many times we have used the tool to restore systems, both partial and full restores to solve issues that users have put us into. As not as the backup ran successfully, which it does 99.9% of the time, we have been able to make a successful restore of the system. It has not let us down.
Read David Thornton, CISSP's full review
Kenneth Hess profile photo
Veeam Backup & Replication (Veeam) is used to backup production systems in the IT department. The biggest problem it solves is financial--in that Veeam is free of charge. It solves the other issue of being easy to use, which is always a bonus. Backup programs either are difficult to use or extremely slow at retrieving a good copy. Veeam's file-level restore is heaven on earth for busy sysadmins.
  • It is very fast. Disk-to-disk backup is extremely fast.
  • Veeam is easy to use. Even someone who hasn't used it before can figure out how to restore a file in a few minutes.
  • It uses a standard filesystem style hierarchy for file retrieval, which makes it very efficient when searching for a single file to restore.
  • I would like some sort of manifest of backed up files to search through before attempting to find the file through the interface.
  • Rather than selecting the backup to restore from, I'd like to select the file, see all of its versions, and then decide which version to restore.
Veeam is particularly good at disk-to-disk backup. I'm not sure how it would work over a network or to an external disk or array. I'm sure it would be fine but local disk-to-disk is very fast and I've never had any issues with failures or corruption. If you have enough space available, multiple snapshots during a day would be especially suited to Veeam. I'm not sure how effective it would be over a WAN link or as a DR solution.
Read Kenneth Hess's full review
Branden Beachy profile photo
We have approximately 140 virtual servers for the district and we use Veeam to back up almost all of them. We have had multiple occasions where we have had problems with a server that was easily fixed by rolling back to a previous Veeam backup. The process for doing that is simple and hassle-free, and it always works.
  • Trouble free backups. Once you have it set up to do a backup you can pretty much forget it, especially since it can do multiple tests on its own of the backups to verify their integrity.
  • Application level backups. We are able to restore things at a very granular level, like individual SQL tables and AD objects like users and groups.
  • Choosing which servers to back up by vSphere tags. Once the backup is set up to back up everything with a certain tag, new servers can be added in vSphere and tagged, and they will then get backed up without ever having to go back into the Veeam console and selecting them.
  • Would be nice if there was more integration with vSphere, maybe a plugin that would allow backups and restores to be made from the vSphere console.
  • Integration with more 3rd Party SAN providers would be nice.
  • Some kind of daily summary email report would be nice.
Any environment with a large number of virtual machines would benefit from using Veeam. If you have a large number of physical servers, while Veeam does offer the ability to back them up now, it is slightly cumbersome compared to the process for virtual servers.
Read Branden Beachy's full review
George Rodgers-Clark profile photo
We're using Veeam Backup & Replication to back up our business-critical VMs and servers that host them locally, with copies in the cloud (MS Azure). This is being used solely by the IT Department, but the backups support all departments in our business. The previous system we had was very difficult to test and I learned the hard way that your backups are only as good as the last time you tested them. Veeam has enabled me to develop a testing process so I am now confident that the next time the chips are down I will be able to recover my AD server.
  • Veeam provides quick back ups of virtual machines that can run during active operations.
  • Veeam also provides an easy way to recover or replicate VMs, files and folders.
  • The Veeam support team is amazing and very responsive, even during the trial period they provide.
  • Connecting to a cloud repository and launching virtual machines in the cloud is simplified greatly with Veeam (still not exactly easy).
  • In my most recent support case, the passing of it from one team member to another has not been great. I've had to re-explain the issue, re-run tests I've done before and re-send logs I've sent before. This is even after the Tier Two team got involved and was supposedly putting together a script that would solve the issue.
I'm in a fairly small business where I am the sole person responsible for backups, security and disaster recovery planning. Veeam Backup & Replication makes this much simpler. From what I can see, I would be just as confident using Veeam in larger scenarios. If we were focused more on cloud operations with everything as a service, I would be more likely to look for a fully cloud-based system. If Veeam provides that, I would give it serious consideration.
Read George Rodgers-Clark's full review
Brian Marcum profile photo
Veeam backs up everything. Makes for easy file and whole server restores. This helps keep our infrastructure backed up and easily recoverable.
  • Veeam backs up almost anything you want. This allows companies to back up their data no matter the platform it's installed on.
  • File-level restore is very simple. You can either restore over the original file or copy it to another location.
  • Integration with SANs. This allows you to tie into most SAN and utilize storage snapshots. This prevents the "stun" that happens when VCenter removes the snapshot.
  • I would love to see Veeam be able to continually replicate data.
  • Linux backup proxies would be nice to use instead of having to pay for another windows VM.
  • Full VM recovery speeds aren't as fast as I would like to see.
If you have a data center, you need Veeam to at least back up your data. If you want, it can also replicate that data offsite. In any business, things happen and having the ability to restore servers and files in a short period of time is great.
Read Brian Marcum's full review
Jon Shurtliff profile photo
We use Veeam to backup all of our VMWare infrastructure across all of our locations. IT is the primary user, but obviously Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity is a service that touches every department in our company.
With Veeam we can backup and restore much more efficiently than we could previously.
  • Veeam really is a "set it and forget it" backup solution.
  • Veeam can take over our SQL backing up so we have an additional layer of security with our data.
  • Veeam can quickly restore files and is non-disruptive to the rest of the infrastructure.
  • It seems that the Fully VM restore takes longer than it should - hours, not minutes.
  • Even file-level restore takes longer than expected.
For the price, Veeam is a great tool for backup, recovery, DR, etc. There are a few tools out there that are WAY more expensive that do it faster, but Veeam is the right fit for our business.
Read Jon Shurtliff's full review
Guillermo Villamizar profile photo
We've been using Veeam Backup & Replication for several years in our organization, and we perform backups in all of our environments every night. It’s one of the simplest yet effective and reliable solutions in the market for the backup segment. You can check out the free Veeam agent, so you can get an idea of the full product.
  • Extremely reliable product.
  • Easy integration with most virtualization solutions.
  • High consistency data ratio.
  • Training may not be widely available.
  • It could be more user-friendly in certain configuration screens.
  • The promised response time could be improved.
We run backups every night with Veeam Backup & Replication, and I can say we almost never have had any issue with the solution, and in the rare event that we do, the resolution of the issue is pretty quick thanks to the great support team and information found through the community.
Read Guillermo Villamizar's full review
Gus Awad profile photo
We use Veeam Backup as a tool to back up all of our data locally and to an offsite location. Veeam is being used by the whole organization to backup our corporate servers. It addressed a lack of a backup strategy that we needed to be implemented and Veeam was the right solution for us.
  • Backup jobs that intergartes well with our VMware environment
  • Easy and quick restore process for OS files or VM files
  • Reporting and alerts as its gives information that we used to troubleshoot issues
  • A bug in the software that doens't delete restore points after certain amount of time
  • Mobile Management for Veeam. It would be nice to manage Veeam on a phone to troubelshoot issues.
Veeam is suited for all environments that require a backup strategy and data integrity. I can't imagine a scenario where Veeam is not appropriate.
Read Gus Awad's full review
Robert Paul profile photo
We currently use Veeam to back up our entire enterprise and replicate the data to our colo site. This allows to maintain data integrity and be prepared in case of a disaster. Continuity is an incredibly important business need for us, and Veeam allows us to get back up and running quickly, in addition to the occasional recovery of accidentally deleted files.
  • Backups: I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but Veeam does do backups extremely well, especially in a VMWare environment. It's fast, reliable, and easy.
  • Recovery: Having backups with no way to recover is rather pointless, so it's a good thing that Veeam has that functionality. There are a lot of options, from file-level recover (including e-mails) to entire VM restores.
  • Replication: Veeam B&R also allows for easy replication of data to multiple locations.
  • Reporting and Alerts: Veeam also has great reporting functionality, as well as alerts. I get emails every morning on all my backup jobs, and immediately if they fail.
  • Retention and clean up: Backups can be configured to merge and clean data for retention. This usually works fine, but we do occasionally run into issues where Veeam doesn't delete old data. Thanks to alerting, I know when this is the case before the datasets get too large, but it would be nice if it worked all the time.
  • Agents: For servers that aren't VMs, there is an agent that gets installed. It works fine, but in order to manage the backups and schedules for these servers, you have to log on to the server directly instead of using the main console application.
  • Options: In most cases, more options are better, but I find that a lot of the time, there are just too many, especially when it comes to how to manage data retention.
If your business is running a virtual environment, especially VMWare, there is no better option than Veeam for backups. It integrates perfectly, and because it can recover directly to a VM, makes disaster recovery that much faster. If you run all physical servers - perhaps in a small environment - the use case would be much harder to make.
Read Robert Paul's full review
Ryhlen Schoeberl profile photo
We use Veeam Backup & Replication to back up the Virtual Machines in our environment. We also use it to replicate the servers to our secondary site just in case our primary site goes down. We can also use it to copy our backups to an offsite location to a third site for redundancy.
  • Easily integrates with vCenter and vSphere in our environment.
  • If a replication job fails, I can just rerun the job after I dig into what caused the issue.
  • Able to keep multiple replication points just incase of a virus or ransomware attack.
  • It is Windows-based and is vulnerable to ransomware that can find your backups and target them.
We like it in our environment where we have multiple locations and are moving stuff to the cloud. I would say it is best for small and medium-sized companies though I could foresee it getting expensive for larger companies.
Read Ryhlen Schoeberl's full review
Derek Schroeder profile photo
Veeam is utilized as one of the backup options for my clients. It is software-based (versus a BDR appliance) and is very efficient for backing up servers internally or offsite. The software is used for the entire organization's systems and data and solves the problem of backing up data and infrastructure.
  • Create initial image level and agent based backups of servers.
  • Efficiently and reliably manage backup jobs.
  • Effortlessly synchronize data offsite with minimal labor and monitoring.
  • It is only software based, one must supply their own BDR and/or storage location.
  • While flexible, the software needs to run on a Windows-based appliance, bring your own appliance/OS license.
For a software-based backup solution, Veeam is the best option. I have worked with many of them including Acronis, Carbonite, MozyPro, but Veeam is the most reliable and easiest to setup and use. Would highly recommend, but it comes with a price per agent that may dissuade some from utilizing it.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review
Bear Golightly profile photo
Veeam is the primary backup, recovery, DR test, and archiving solution in use throughout the company. We have testable, verifiable backups of our most important assets every few minutes and SureBackup allows us to easily and repeatably test our backups.
  • Backup speed is great, especially if you use storage integration.
  • The no-nonsense data deduplication engine is seamless and trouble-free, especially useful with the WAN accelerator, which deduplicates replicated data before sending it across the wire.
  • The restoration UI is straightforward, and restores are fast and easy.
  • Does not support Basic Availability Groups with shared-nothing storage ("cluster-less") on SQL Server Standard Edition.
  • Does not support restoring files backed up from SERVER1, to SERVER2.
  • REST API does not support retrieving information about tape media (have to use Powershell instead for automation).
If you like functional, verifiable backups and don't mind paying a premium for it, Veeam has you covered. If you're in a budget crunch or would simply rather spend your time troubleshooting failed jobs, failed backup software components, and DR test failures, choose something else.
Read Bear Golightly's full review
Josh McClelland profile photo
We use Veeam both in house and for a number of our customers. It's cost-effective, easy to implement and manage, and makes managing backups a pleasure instead of a tedious task. For our customers utilizing virtual environments, it's the perfect solution.
  • It's easy to implement and manage.
  • It has a robust logging and reporting system.
  • Veeam is perfect for our virtual environments.
  • Veeam could be a bit more cost effective, but it's incredibly robust for the price.
  • I'd like to see a little more detail on backup reports.
  • More detailed training videos would be ideal for the less advanced users.
Veeam is perfect for a VMWare virtual environment, it lacks some options in Hyper-v environments, but these may be Microsoft limits more than anything.
Read Josh McClelland's full review
Mike Hempel profile photo
It's being used to backup 95% of our infrastructure and solves the storage-related issues we were running into with its deduplication.
  • Great success rate on backups.
  • Easy restores.
  • Easy to setup a job.
  • Tapes.
  • Ease of lab setup.
We use VMware and haven't had issues with backups at all since migrating to Veeam.
Read Mike Hempel's full review
Brent Runyan profile photo
We use Veeam Backup & Replication in the College of Life Sciences at BYU. It is not used by the university as a whole but is used in at least 1 other college on campus. It is used as a backup solution for our VMware virtual environment.
  • Easy to install and configure.
  • Very customizable backup job configurations.
  • Easy to restore VMs and individual files.
  • Importing backup jobs from previous versions can be time consuming.
  • Troubleshooting failed jobs and be frustrating.
Veeam Backup & Replication is well suited for SMB and medium-size businesses. I am not sure it scales well to very large environments. Veeam Backup & Replication uses backup proxies to process jobs, and in a large environment, you would need many proxies to accomplish the task, creating unneeded complexity in the environment.
Read Brent Runyan's full review
Seth Bohan profile photo
Veeam Backup is easy to use and efficient. We use Veeam to backup our virtual environment and it has saved the day a number of times.
  • Backup - easy to configure and very effective
  • Restore - easy to restore entire VM or guest files
  • Replicate - Replication of VMs to other sites works well
  • An integrated update process might be convenient
I find it well suited for most cases instances I have dealt with
Read Seth Bohan's full review
ONeal Taylor profile photo
November 13, 2019

Veeam Backup and Recovery

We use Veeam to backup all of our Virtual Machines / servers through VMware. This is also used to restore any VMs or potential files that may have been removed in error. We have set up daily, weekly and monthly jobs to 2 different repositories in case of any system failures, etc.
  • Backup
  • Recovery
  • Ease of use
  • User interface
  • Better explanation on events
  • Appropriate for backups and recovery of local systems
  • Not so much for cloud systems.
Read ONeal Taylor's full review
Gary Smith profile photo
Veeam Backup & Replication is used daily, weekly and monthly for data backups, file restores and DR. Used for VM and physical server backups.
  • Easy to install.
  • Easy to configure and use.
  • Easy to upgrade.
  • Veeam is the go-to-backup and DR tool period!
  • I have had NO issues with Veeam Backup & Replication in the six years of using this so do not fix what is not broken!
I'm feeling like a broken record. Veeam Backup & Replication is well suited for backups of both VMs and physical servers, as well as file and directory restores and disaster recovery.
Read Gary Smith's full review
Mohammed Sattar profile photo
October 17, 2019

Veeam Backup

Yes, it's used across the operation servers VM.
  • Easy to manage
  • Easy to replicate and snapshot
  • Restore process is faster
  • Physical servers backup
  • Faster backup and recovery
  • License cost
Cloud connect and VM Backup faster recovery.
Read Mohammed Sattar's full review
Andrew Bouwhuis profile photo
We are using Veeam to back up our entire visualized server environment. Currently, it is providing a backup solution for us to feel confident that we have all that we need in order to be able to restore files for users who have deleted things, as well as for VMs that have become corrupt or accidentally deleted.
  • The interface is easy to use and manage.
  • The software works flawlessly and reliably.
  • The process to set up and monitor backups is very simple, but can be very customized.
  • When we came from Veritas System recover we had issues adapting to the way Veeam does a backup (I.E. incremental, reverse incremental, when to do fulls and on what schedule, etc.)
  • I don't like that when looking over the job actions, the errors can only be seen if you hover over them, and then they go away after about a minute.
  • We also have an issue with setting up backups to a drive that would rotate out daily, although this was probably just us now being familiar enough with the software.
I would think that anyone utilizing any type of virtual environment would benefit from using Veeam as a backup utility. I do think that it would be useless for anyone with physical servers.
Read Andrew Bouwhuis's full review
Samuel Fershteyn profile photo
[It's] Part of our business continuity and disaster recovery framework..
  • Simple
  • Reliable
  • Scalable
  • Efficient
  • The GUI interface can be more fluid modifiable with widgets
  • CLI capabilities
  • The main dashboard should have dynamic trending chart of successful jobs versus failed ones.
Great for an on premise data center - cloud based replication or hybrid.
Read Samuel Fershteyn's full review
Tim Slater profile photo
Veeam Backup and Replication is used for all backups, SAN snapshot and mirror orchestration and VM replication. It has reduced our RPO significantly.
  • Simple, and Reliable
  • Easy UI with integrated orchestration with SAN
  • Fast recovery
  • CDP replication would be great, Veeam has been promising this feature since 9.5 was released.
Veeam is the best backup and replication solution that I have used or tested.
Read Tim Slater's full review
Scott Trautwein profile photo
We use Veeam to backup all our virtual servers to a NAS located in another building away from our ESXi hosts. It backs up main servers daily, while non-mission critical servers are backed up once a week.
  • Incremental backups of VM's
  • Easily restore files/backups
  • Easy to use, good tech support if you need to call with an issue
  • Backing up physical devices can be done but not as easily.
  • Annual renewal pricing is not bad but still annoying for just minor updates. Prefer just to purchase once and be done with it.
If you have virtual machines to back up, Veeam is the gold standard.
Read Scott Trautwein's full review

Universal recovery (69)
Live recovery (72)
Recovery verification (73)
Business application protection (69)
Multiple backup destinations (77)
Incremental backup identification (78)
Backup to the cloud (52)
Deduplication and file compression (76)
Snapshots (70)
Flexible deployment (56)
Management dashboard (17)
Platform support (57)
Retention options (60)
Encryption (52)

About Veeam Backup & Replication

Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete backup and disaster recovery solution that is hardware and cloud agnostic. It aims to help businesses achieve comprehensive data protection for ALL workloads — including virtual, physical and cloud-based workloads. With a single console, the vendor aims to help users achieve fast, flexible and reliable backup, recovery and replication of all applications and data.

Backup capabilities
  • Fast, reliable application-aware, image-based backups
  • Unlimited capacity and cost savings for long-term data retention on object storage with new Veeam Cloud Tier
  • Enterprise application support for NEW Veeam Plug-ins for SAP HANA and Oracle RMAN

Replication capabilities
  • Advanced replication and failover for Disaster Recovery
  • Built-in WAN Acceleration to get backups and replicas off site fast
  • Fully-integrated, cloud-based DR replication and fast, secure cloud backup with Veeam Cloud Connect through a service provider

Recovery capabilities
  • Recover individual files easily with Instant VM and File-level Recovery
  • Easy portability and recovery to AWS, Azure and Azure Stack with NEW Veeam Cloud Mobility
  • Fast, item-level and application recovery for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, and SQL Server and Oracle

Veeam Backup & Replication Features

Data Center Backup Features
Has featureUniversal recovery
Has featureLive recovery
Has featureRecovery verification
Has featureBusiness application protection
Has featureMultiple backup destinations
Has featureIncremental backup identification
Has featureBackup to the cloud
Has featureDeduplication and file compression
Has featureSnapshots
Has featureFlexible deployment
Does not have featureManagement dashboard
Has featurePlatform support
Has featureRetention options
Has featureEncryption

Veeam Backup & Replication Screenshots

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Join Veeam SE for an in-depth technical deep dive into the architecture and engineering of Veeam Backup & Replication. Learn how to protect your virtual workloads with Veeam Availability Suite by diving into the deployment and technical details of components that allow Veeam Backup & Replication to meet recovery service level objectives of less than 15 minutes for ALL applications and data. Find answers to burning questions around how it works.

Veeam Backup & Replication Downloadables

Veeam Backup & Replication Integrations

Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, SAP HANA, NetApp FAS series, Pure Storage FlashArray, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory, Oracle, NetApp FlexArray (V-Series), NetApp Data ONTAP Edg, IBM N-series, HPE 3PAR, HPE StoreVirtual, Nimble Storage AFA, Nimble Storage CSS, Cisco HyperFlex, Dell EMC

Veeam Backup & Replication Competitors

Acronis Cyber Backup, Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery, Veritas Backup Exec and NetBackup, Rubrik Cloud Data Management, Cohesity DataProtect, Dell EMC

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes

Veeam sells through channel partners. Contact your partner for detailed pricing and quotes. If you do not have a partner, you can find a reseller or contact sales for assistance. https://www.veeam.com/salesinc.html

Veeam Backup & Replication Customer Size Distribution