Veeam Backup & Replication Software is a data center backup solution, providing recovery and protection of data.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/m4/lI/TOGMPV2AMTIJ.JPEGVeeam SoftwareThe defacto solution for VMware and Hyper-V environments2019-03-27T14:30:19.084ZVeeam is our core backup solution in the office. We use it for all the virtual infrastructure, as well as more recently the physical hosts as well. It has fantastic features, not only for backup but for replication as well. It's used by the IT team to ensure we maintain a good backup solution.,Very simple interface "Set and forget" with the alerts emailing you if something stops working Easy to get up to speed on updates with their support and online training Regular updates and investment from the product owners showing that they are invested in their users and the product,The physical host backup is a new area and a little clunky to get operational. The licensing is a little confusing and needs 3rd party assistance to ensure you properly cover your environment (if its a little complicated like ours). We don't currently use it for our file server as it's been a little fractious with 12TB disks and recovery of individual files from older backup VIB files as difficult. Saying that we haven't tested it in the past 3 years and I hear that a lot has changed.,10,We've utilized recovery from some hardware failures a few times and it's worked great Works even when a Domain controller has failed Great sureback solution allows lab-based testing of updates on a replica server without affecting production environment... this has saved me a ton on not needing a second lab setup,Acronis Backup and Veritas Backup ExecJames MartinVeeam Backup and Replication for Your Most Critical Systems2018-12-19T00:06:19.184ZVeeam Backup and Replication Enterprise is being used as the backup provider for virtual and physical environments. At the time of the POC and purchase, a failing competitor product was being used in the environment that could not be utilized due to lack of consistency. VEEAM came in and educated our team and proved to us the ROI. Today they continue to provide value and increase value by extending their footprint by expanding into new capabilities.,Virtual Server Backup and Replication/Copy: Veeam is a leader in the virtual server backup environments for the past 7-10 years. With an agent-less configuration and multiple options to reduce the impact on your production environment, VEEAM is the clear choice for protecting your data. VEEAM offers multiple options to manage replicas of your most critical data, with failover, fail back, commit, and failover plans. This adds a great value on HyperV Farms where replication management lacks visibility into the current state and operation. You can see what is going on as the replication occurs. VEEAM extended their product into AIX, Oracle, Physical, and Office365 Environments (As well as other improvements). This is a quality you want to discover when picking a vendor to backup your expanding infrastructure. Sure Backup offers the ability to boot the VMs up off the backup file in a Sandbox for user testing and validation. Veeam also offers the "Instant VM Recovery", which allows you to quickly restore a backup by mounting the backup file to the host and then once its up and operating storage migrate the VM data to production local or SAN/NAS storage.,VEEAM has few shortcomings but if I were to select one, I would say tighter integration with their Veeam Sure Backup Options. Simplification on the setup of the networking for the sandbox and better validation for core apps such as AD, SQL, IIS, Oracle, Exchange.,10,Veeam had a positive ROI for the organization. Within 30 days of going live with the VEEAM Backup and Replication solution, our primary data center experienced a city-wide disaster event. The sub-level of the city's subterranean infrastructure experienced a gas leak which was ignited via a power company related transformer spark. Using the Veeam Solution we were able to quickly restore our core infrastructure and then subsequent systems (within about 60 minutes for 200+ Windows Servers).,Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon Relational Database Service, Azure SQL DatabaseMichael JippingFaster Virtual Machine Backups and Restores2018-12-14T16:54:59.318ZWe are using Veeam Backup and Replication to support around 200 Virtual Machines and 4 Physical Servers running Linux OS. We are using it to take daily incremental backups of both Linux Virtual Machines and Windows Virtual Machine. Also, although I am not a big fan of Veeam Backup Agent for Linux on a physical host, it's doing a satisfying job in a very cost-effective manner. We are using Veeam for image-based replication for some of our virtual machines as required by our business. We use it for fast full restores or a file level restore as required case to case. It has been a very easy to configure and easier to manage solution. The tool is easily being supported by our system admins and we did not need to hire additional backup and recovery experts to manage the solution.,It is an amazing solution best suited for vSphere and Hyper-V virtual machines backup and replication needs. Image-based virtual machine replication is very fast and easy to configure. The incremental backups are quite nice and lead to smaller storage footprints for your backup copies.,I have had a hard time supporting Veeam Agent on Linux on my physical linux database servers. The job gets stuck due to several reasons like network glitch etc but what's more annoying is that killing the job sends Veeam service into zombie mode. The only solution we have is to restart the server. We have tried working with Veeam support on it, but have not received any better solution for this problem. Veeam Agent on Linux does not support Oracle ASM volumes, so a backup that includes ASM volumes will not be incremental and run long based on your ASM volume size. Veeam Support support is not a great team and they need to work on their customer satisfaction.,9,Cost Savings. It has been a cost-optimal backup and replication solution for our overall environment. Faster Recovery. We have been happy with the amazing fast recovery time for our virtual machines. We haven't really tested the recovery on physical hosts yet. Disaster Recovery. We are using Veeam cost-optimal and Recovery as part of our DR solution in case Site Recovery Manager doesn't work.,CommVault,Azure Active Directory, Oracle Identity Manager, HP StoreOnce, HP 3PAR StoreServ Flash Storage, Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Oracle Linux, Oracle Exadata Database Machine, Oracle GoldenGate, Oracle WebLogic Application Server, Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Vendor Reputation Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor,I don't want to change much but I would have considered comparing backups of physical hosts while deciding on what product to purchase.,Image-based replication for virtual machines File level restores Machine level restores Virtual Machine Cluster level backups,Backup of Physical Servers Point in Time restores on physical servers backup of Oracle ASM volumes,9Ravinder GuptaVeeam 60% of the time is works every time. Honestly it's 100%.2018-12-14T15:42:50.359ZVeeam Backup and Replication is our go to solution for both virtual and physical systems that are Windows 7 and newer. Veeam provides backup and offsite replication of backups within a majority of our clients manufacturing infrastructure.,Veeam is easy to install and manage. However, I recommend getting support personnel Veeam technical training to ensure they are able to deploy to complex environments and tune the software for optimal performance while not impacting production systems. Veeam is dependable in that it provides consistent and reliable backups which are easy to restore. This applies to backup and restore of both physical systems to similar/dissimilar hardware and virtual systems (VMware). Veeam replication features allow for faster recovery of systems which consume a large amount of disk space. Keep in mind disk and network are most often your bottlenecks so you must design accordingly to obtain your target RTO.,This applies primarily to the manufacturing realm for legacy operating systems are still prevalent. Veeam will only backup physical systems Windows 7, or Server 2008 and newer. In my field we often encounter Windows XP and 2003 systems.,10,As an Veeam MSP we are able to offer our customers a top quality solution at an affordable price. This is when comparing to similar products such as Acronis, vRanger and Unitrends.,Jon LiedtkeVeeam B&R Review2018-12-17T19:40:17.033ZAt my previous job, we used Veeam to backup our virtual infrastructure. We backed up our VMware environment to Exagrid appliances. At my current job, we are currently evaluating Veeam to replace Networker.,Veeam is able to backup only the data that's changed since the last backup. Veeam is able to mount Active Directory and Exchange EDB files, directly from the Veeam repository, and restore individual itemS Veeam is able to take synthetic full backups by incorporating incremental backups taken after the previous full.,One issue we had was that VMware CBD needs to be enabled for it to only backup the change blocks. This requires a change to the vmx file for each. VM. In order to get the best compression and dedupe ratios, we had to build our backup jobs by OS. We needed to deploy multiple proxy servers to handle our environment.,10,Veeam was able to take over the backups from our previous product with no problem and provide us with features we didn't have before! It was very easy to setup backup jobs and keep our environment We are able to use Veeam to migrate VMs from one environment to another with ease and less downtime than using other tools.,Veritas NetBackup and NetworkerBen Liebowitz
Windows, Linux, Mac, BSD, OES, Solaris
Veeam Backup & Replication
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>
Reviews (1-25 of 36)
Vendors can't alter or remove reviews. Here's why.
March 27, 2019
Veeam is our core backup solution in the office. We use it for all the virtual infrastructure, as well as more recently the physical hosts as well. It has fantastic features, not only for backup but for replication as well. It's used by the IT team to ensure we maintain a good backup solution.
- Very simple interface
- "Set and forget" with the alerts emailing you if something stops working
- Easy to get up to speed on updates with their support and online training
- Regular updates and investment from the product owners showing that they are invested in their users and the product
- The physical host backup is a new area and a little clunky to get operational.
- The licensing is a little confusing and needs 3rd party assistance to ensure you properly cover your environment (if its a little complicated like ours).
- We don't currently use it for our file server as it's been a little fractious with 12TB disks and recovery of individual files from older backup VIB files as difficult. Saying that we haven't tested it in the past 3 years and I hear that a lot has changed.
Read James Martin's full review
If you need a backup solution that is easy to set, has a ton of additional features then this is for you. It's the gold standard for VMWARE and HYPER-V environments and slowly dominating the physical host backup too with its recent updates.
December 18, 2018
Veeam Backup and Replication Enterprise is being used as the backup provider for virtual and physical environments. At the time of the POC and purchase, a failing competitor product was being used in the environment that could not be utilized due to lack of consistency. VEEAM came in and educated our team and proved to us the ROI. Today they continue to provide value and increase value by extending their footprint by expanding into new capabilities.
- Virtual Server Backup and Replication/Copy: Veeam is a leader in the virtual server backup environments for the past 7-10 years. With an agent-less configuration and multiple options to reduce the impact on your production environment, VEEAM is the clear choice for protecting your data.
- VEEAM offers multiple options to manage replicas of your most critical data, with failover, fail back, commit, and failover plans. This adds a great value on HyperV Farms where replication management lacks visibility into the current state and operation. You can see what is going on as the replication occurs.
- VEEAM extended their product into AIX, Oracle, Physical, and Office365 Environments (As well as other improvements). This is a quality you want to discover when picking a vendor to backup your expanding infrastructure.
- Sure Backup offers the ability to boot the VMs up off the backup file in a Sandbox for user testing and validation. Veeam also offers the "Instant VM Recovery", which allows you to quickly restore a backup by mounting the backup file to the host and then once its up and operating storage migrate the VM data to production local or SAN/NAS storage.
- VEEAM has few shortcomings but if I were to select one, I would say tighter integration with their Veeam Sure Backup Options. Simplification on the setup of the networking for the sandbox and better validation for core apps such as AD, SQL, IIS, Oracle, Exchange.
Read Michael Jipping's full review
Veeam Backup is a great addition to most environments. I would be hesitant in an environment where Veeam doesn't officially support a specific product class or OS level. You want to make sure if there is an issue that the Veeam Support is able to assist you.
December 14, 2018
We are using Veeam Backup and Replication to support around 200 Virtual Machines and 4 Physical Servers running Linux OS. We are using it to take daily incremental backups of both Linux Virtual Machines and Windows Virtual Machine. Also, although I am not a big fan of Veeam Backup Agent for Linux on a physical host, it's doing a satisfying job in a very cost-effective manner. We are using Veeam for image-based replication for some of our virtual machines as required by our business. We use it for fast full restores or a file level restore as required case to case. It has been a very easy to configure and easier to manage solution. The tool is easily being supported by our system admins and we did not need to hire additional backup and recovery experts to manage the solution.
- It is an amazing solution best suited for vSphere and Hyper-V virtual machines backup and replication needs.
- Image-based virtual machine replication is very fast and easy to configure.
- The incremental backups are quite nice and lead to smaller storage footprints for your backup copies.
- I have had a hard time supporting Veeam Agent on Linux on my physical linux database servers. The job gets stuck due to several reasons like network glitch etc but what's more annoying is that killing the job sends Veeam service into zombie mode. The only solution we have is to restart the server. We have tried working with Veeam support on it, but have not received any better solution for this problem.
- Veeam Agent on Linux does not support Oracle ASM volumes, so a backup that includes ASM volumes will not be incremental and run long based on your ASM volume size.
- Veeam Support support is not a great team and they need to work on their customer satisfaction.
Read Ravinder Gupta's full review
It is very well suited for a VMWare virtual environment. It's easy to configure and easier to the manager. You can configure Veeam Backup & Replication for both full and incremental backups. It is very reliable and doesn't break in the middle of the night. The storage footprint is also quite small and you can configure a backup retention policy to keep good control of it. It is definitely not a great solution if you want to back up your physical server. But if you want to save on the additional cost of buying a separate solution for that, just like we are doing, you can use it to a satisfying level. But do not expect a point in time recovery for physical hosts.
December 14, 2018
Veeam Backup and Replication is our go to solution for both virtual and physical systems that are Windows 7 and newer. Veeam provides backup and offsite replication of backups within a majority of our clients manufacturing infrastructure.
- Veeam is easy to install and manage. However, I recommend getting support personnel Veeam technical training to ensure they are able to deploy to complex environments and tune the software for optimal performance while not impacting production systems.
- Veeam is dependable in that it provides consistent and reliable backups which are easy to restore. This applies to backup and restore of both physical systems to similar/dissimilar hardware and virtual systems (VMware).
- Veeam replication features allow for faster recovery of systems which consume a large amount of disk space. Keep in mind disk and network are most often your bottlenecks so you must design accordingly to obtain your target RTO.
- This applies primarily to the manufacturing realm for legacy operating systems are still prevalent. Veeam will only backup physical systems Windows 7, or Server 2008 and newer. In my field we often encounter Windows XP and 2003 systems.
Read Jon Liedtke's full review
We utilize Veeam to protect small and large infrastructures spread across single or multiple data centers. Typical installation is backup of 100-200 systems.
December 17, 2018
At my previous job, we used Veeam to backup our virtual infrastructure. We backed up our VMware environment to Exagrid appliances. At my current job, we are currently evaluating Veeam to replace Networker.
- Veeam is able to backup only the data that's changed since the last backup.
- Veeam is able to mount Active Directory and Exchange EDB files, directly from the Veeam repository, and restore individual itemS
- Veeam is able to take synthetic full backups by incorporating incremental backups taken after the previous full.
- One issue we had was that VMware CBD needs to be enabled for it to only backup the change blocks. This requires a change to the vmx file for each. VM.
- In order to get the best compression and dedupe ratios, we had to build our backup jobs by OS.
- We needed to deploy multiple proxy servers to handle our environment.
Read Ben Liebowitz's full review
Veeam is a robust product. We use it to not only back up our env, but to do migrations as well!
May 01, 2019
Veeam does all our physical server and virtual server backups and recovery processes. It manages our daily, weekly, quarterly and yearly backups on a planned and scheduled pattern and it targets our Quantum DXI replicated pairs. The problem that it solves is our disaster recovery and planning - it keeps our data safe and secure in our data center.
Read this authenticated review
Virtual environments and cloud targets for restores - mainly to Azure and AWS need more work. Veeam needs better tape direct into cold storage into AWS or Backblaze.
December 13, 2018
Veeam Backup & Replication is being used at all of our departments/sites that have VMware deployed. I believe that Veeam Backup & Replication is the best solution available for the backup and recovery of vSphere and Horizon View environments. Veeam Backup and Replication is easy to use, performs flawlessly, and support is excellent. The interface is intuitive to use. I have not needed to use support too many times with this product because of the ease of use and how well the product performs. Response from support is fast and questions are answered quickly. They do their best to assist you whenever it is needed. The ability to get real-time alerts makes monitoring easy and allows me to respond to issues outside of the normal business day and try to resolve them before the employees arrive for the business day. Recovery of entire VM's is easy and fast. The granular recovery using Veeam Explorer is one of the best features. I can recover specific deleted user files, corrupted files, and even user exchange mailboxes or mail messages. More recently we have added the use of the agent to backup physical Windows servers. This agent has been a great addition to us and now we also back up our physical servers with Veeam. Having one product for backup is really great. Veeam pairs well with the use of a deduplicating backup device like EMC Data Domains.
- Backup and recovery of entire VMware VM's and granular recovery of files using Veeam Explorer make this an ideal product. Backup of physical Windows servers using the agent allows the use of a single product for backup.
- Software installation and setup I found was relatively easy as was setting up backups. I find the interface is intuitive and easy to use once you are familiar with it.
- Email alerts are important and allow you to verify backup status without having to remote in to check on things. When an issue is reported, it allows me to respond to resolve the issues before the production day starts. Usually, the alert points out an issue that is VMware related and not a Veeam issue.
- Once Veeam is setup and configured properly, it requires little intervention. Pretty much a set it and forget it solution. Highly reliable.
- Veeam is an important part of our DR recovery strategy. We can spin up entire VM's at our backup site whenever needed very easily and quickly to resume critical business operations.
- Veeam works well for backing up encrypted volumes on Windows servers using the backup agent.
- Pricing of this product and ongoing support is a little expensive but well worth the cost. It is reliable and solid, which is very important with backup and recovery. You cannot afford a product of this type to fail. You do get what you pay for!
- Once in a great while, backup snapshots are not removed. It would be nice if Veeam could alert you that snapshots exist, whether they were created by Veeam backup or in vSphere. This would prompt you to go into vSphere and remove/resolve the snapshot issue and free up storage resources.
Read this authenticated review
Veeam Availability Suite is well suited for virtual environments. We specifically use it in our vMware environments for VSphere and Horizon View. If you also have some existing physical servers, you'll appreciate using the agent so that you can use one product to backup everything. If your environment is made up of only physical servers I would recommend using another product.
January 01, 2019
Veeam Backup & Replication is used at the business unit level, the portion packaging division within the organization. 4 BU locations utilize the same Veeam backup solution, backing up of the VM servers to local disk, to physical external drives, and also to remote repositories at 2 locations across the WAN. At 2 BU locations, Veeam also backup to Tape. Essential, multiple redundancies are in place.
- Veeam Backup is straightforward and easy to manage. Reports can be set up to be emailed daily, so you know when the jobs are complete.
- Veeam support is easy to contact for assistance. I have opened service requests and support has been very helpful in finding the answers and solutions needed.
- Veeam works well with Vmware and Dell Data Domain, all are present in our environment.
- I want to see improvement in the reporting. I see the data transfer rate and completed times, but I want to know the transfer rate speed, so I can better understand what the network bottleneck is.
Read this authenticated review
Product used on Dell hardware environment, including Virtual Machines and Data Domain storage. Veeam works in an organization with multiple sites, capable of WAN backup. Local site tape backup also works great. I would recommend keeping Veeam Backup & Replication software on separate hardware, as not to utilize the same hardware memory and disk resources as VMs running on hosts against SAN. Also, highly recommend setting up the Veeam helper server (to run Veeam services), at a location of where Data Repository located. When running WAN backup, the time of the backup can be reduced because the helper server handles merging processes locally, as opposed to having these processes run long distance over the WAN, thus increasing the backup time, and putting a strain on the traffic between sites.
December 13, 2018
We use Veeam to backup our VMWare servers to our local backup repository. I also use Veeam to backup our most critical workstations daily so we could quickly recover them in case of any issues. Veeam is very easy to use and reliable and makes managing my backup tasks very easy.
- It allows me to very easily restore a file that was accidentally deleted or modified.
- The reports of the backup results are very good and gives me the comfort of knowing my backups completed properly
- It's very easy to create and manage backup jobs.
- I wish there was a lower price point that would allow a smaller client I manage to afford Veeam. It's a great product, but was a little too expensive for this smaller site.
Read this authenticated review
I think Veeam Backup and Replication works great for any VMWare system and is very easy to use. I have not used it with HyperV, but I am sure it works just as well for those systems also. It's a great product and easy to use. I recommend it to anyone that needs a backup solution.
December 12, 2018
Veeam Backup and Replication has allowed our customers to finally get off of legacy backup solutions, such as tape backup, and use a reliable backup solution across their entire network environment. Veeam delivers backup, recovery and replication for everything, including virtualized as well as physical and cloud-based resources.
- Shorter backup windows and reduce backup and storage costs - Lowers RPOs and generate very fast backups from storage snapshots
- Improves remote offices backup times - with ROBO enhancements
- Enables fast and secure cloud backup with Veeam Cloud Connect - total encryption
- Veeam is the leader in the industry, so as far as areas for improvement, it's hard to see them since they tend to be the leader in innovation
Read this authenticated review
Our customers have moved from various legacy and other types of backups to Veeam. It allows for fast and efficient backups, allowing for peace of mind. Whether our customers have a one-man IT staff or a full staff, Veeam's ease of use allows backups to run efficiently and lets us all go home and be able to sleep at night knowing their data is safely backed up up both onsite and remotely.
December 10, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
We use it in-house to back up and replicate VMS for our virtual and cloud workloads.We back up and at times recover application data and log information, and we like the reliability and speed Veeam provides. It's able to pull from a no-SQL database that is tied to automation processes and predictive, preemptive actions that we've custom developed.
Read this authenticated review
Veeam is usually able to provide faster time to resolution and recovery than other providers. If I remember correctly, when we were selecting them, the fact that they outperformed in this category was a big deal. It's pretty cool how they are able to monitor your environment, as well. It's making IT managers' lives easier.
October 08, 2018
Since my office started to implement virtual machines 5 years ago, we switched to using Veeam as our primary backup tool. Also because our Los Angeles office is the only one with virtual machines, we're the only office out of 3 that are using Veeam. With the past 3 months, I started to familiarize myself with the use of Veeam taking over this task from our computer consultants. Veeam is a powerful tool providing us with the ability to backup virtual & physical machines with multiple scheduled tasks along with automated reports on the status of each backup job performed.
- Excellent collaboration with VmWare to backup virtual machines created using VmWare
- Provides a scheduling tool to perform timed backup tasks
- sends out email notifications to specified email addresses of backup success or failures when jobs are completed
- Veeam seems to force the multiple functions provided into a single application window without an option to open the various modules as separate windows. Since these modules are sometimes related, it would be better to be able to see the modules opened in separate windows to modify side by side.
- Since Veeam is closely tied in to VmWare when virtual machine backup jobs are created, any changes to information like credentials on VmWare could impact Veeam backup jobs connected with the VmWare virtual machines. Currently there isn't an option to automatically port the changes made on VmWare over to Veeam. You'll have to re-enter those changed credentials.
Read Paul Li's full review
Veeam is well suited for scenarios when backing up of virtual machines are required. If you are only using tapes for backups, though Veeam supports this process, it's best to use pure tape backup software to handle this instead of investing in Veeam with so much more bells & whistles.
July 13, 2018
We use Veeam Backup and Recovery to backup all of our virtual machines as well as all of our physical Windows machines. We have a Data Domain as our backup target and then we send those backups out to a monthly tape.
- Fast reliable backup of VMWare guests. Who doesn't want fast and reliable backups?
- Physical machine backups - It does these much faster than our previous product from EMC, Networker.
- Backup Inline Deduplication - It does this so well with our data that we have turned off the deduplication on our Data Domain.
- NAS backup. We really wish this was available for our environment.
- Releasing newer versions of software. Veeam is particularly bad about promising new features and then taking a very long time to release the feature. They have always released a stable product though.
Read John Glenn's full review
Perfect for any size vmware environment. As long as you have a large enough target the software will do all of the heavy lifting with ease. You can even backup physical machines to cloud based targets with the agent.
December 06, 2017
Score 3 out of 10
We are a reseller and a couple of our clients use it. We backup all servers and replicate them to another device at the same physical location. Anytime we have ever needed to restore an individual file or entire system, we have always been successful. It's a great solution for backups and BDR, even though we only replicate within the same physical locations. I believe Veeam only works for VMware though, not Hyper-V (unless that has changed) so it will not work for all organizations.
- Quick backups
- Easy restoration
- Ability to replicate backup files
- I do not believe it works on VMWARE or physical servers
- Cloud replication very expensive
- Need to purchase hardware as well as software in order to use it
Read this authenticated review
Clients that are smaller but using VMWARE, in my eyes, would be the ideal client. If you have a lot of servers and not a lot of bandwidth, this would likely not be a good solution to use. Multi-site clients that could replicate between sites would also be a good fit.
July 05, 2017
At our second site, Engineers needed to back up a set of test VMs. I did not have backup infrastructure at the site. Veeam was perfect. I was able to quickly backup all the VMs, but I can also restore to previous points in time, and I only needed storage space and a local express database on a server.
- Veeam automatically locates any new VMs the Engineers create and backs them up.
- Veeam automatically has point in time backups.
- Veeam works without interaction once it is set up.
- Veeam sends out reports on what it does.
- I have had trouble setting up Veeam free tools at other sites.
- The jump from the 3 license pack to more hosts is a big price increase.
- Veeam does both Hyper-V and VMWare, but I have found the VMware side more functional and working as expected automatically. The hyper-V takes more effort.
Read Ian Raloff's full review
Their 3 server express pack was perfect for my small site needing backup. It had a great price and I could back up all my hosts. The full enterprise license would work well company wide if I were given a bigger budget for the program, but we had existing tools that are functional. Veeam is great at VMWare virtual machine discovery, and it can be set to automatically backup everything is finds.
June 21, 2017
We use it for all of our servers, as well as a DR tool. Every department is using it (although they do not know this) and we routinely restore mistakenly deleted files. We have defeated ransomware with the ability to simply roll the users MyDocs back to the previous day. I was recently trained at the VMCE sessions at VEEAMON2017 in NOLA, and learned even more about this most powerful and easy to use tool.
- You can keep several different sets of data to give the most robust or storage friendly backup abilities.
- You can keep years of backup sets while being incredibly "skinny" on storage use.
- You can create sandbox servers to quickly test a use case.
- Restoring individual files is easy and intuitive.
- Adding new storage could be easier like a browse feature for SAN volumes, etc.
- The virtual networking portion could be easirer to define and use. Non network engineers will struggle.
- The monitoring and alerting can be daunting to set up but is easy to use afterward.
Read Bill Holmberg's full review
One of the only easy to use solutions for businesses of any size; particularly great for a small business.
June 20, 2017
Veeam Backup & Replication is our preferred tool for backing up virtual machines. It provides efficient, reliable, and cost effective backups of virtual machines without being overly complicated. I can teach a new admin how to use it effectively within 30 minutes. You can't really say that for most other backup software. We use it company-wide, as it simply offers an excellent mix of efficacy and cost effectiveness.
- Fast, simple backups - Once you have everything setup, starting a backup takes only minutes.
- Robust feature support - Supports integration with certain SAN's for improved performance and efficiency, and supports very granular backup and restoration options.
- Cost effective - Veeam is full feature backup software, without the full feature price. They've always provided great software at a reasonable price.
- Free version has limited functionality - The free version of Veeam Backup & Replication offers only very basic backups, and doesn't work well with free versions of VMware ESXi as a result.
- Cost goes up with lots of cores - While generally quite affordable on the lowend, Veeam can get costly if you're backing up a large number of ESX hosts with a large number of CPU's and cores, especially with the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus versions.
- Can require a dedicated admin in larger environments - Veeam is very hands-off for many installs, but some Enterprises with a large number of VM's and ESX hosts may require a dedicated admin to manage Veeam.
Read Kurt Ferguson's full review
Veeam is awesome for small and medium businesses especially. It's not expensive to use for a small number of hosts, especially for the standard version of the product. It provides easy but robust backups without a great deal of time invested. For larger enterprises, especially those with many hosts and/or hosts with lots of CPU sockets, they may want to find a product that licenses differently.
April 21, 2017
Score 9 out of 10
We use Veeam Backup as a service.
- Veeam is the best backup solution I have used to date! Simple to install, configure and manage. When it does have an error, 90% of the error messages are in simple English as to what has caused the fault. Would definitely recommend to others!
- For the most part, it works and is relatively straight-forward to configure. Their support is good, although I tire of hearing the blames on Microsoft VSS. If you're going to code and sell software based off a different vendor's framework, be prepared to offer support for both yours and the framework vendor's products! That said though, I really do like this software.
- I would love to see an option for physical backups so I could switch my entire environment over to Veeam.
Read Romeo Popa's full review
Definitely [well suited] in a virtual environment. Veeam is very easy to set up and offers a tremendous amount of flexibility when it comes to backup media. The ability to fire up a VM right from the backup media is also very handy! Veeam is also able to make use of the built-in Windows Server 2012 R2 de-duplication when storing on DASD. This saves an incredible amount of space and allows for longer retention periods.
May 03, 2016
Veeam Backup & Replication has been a wonderful asset to our IT Department. It has given us the comfort of knowing our data is safe, and an easier way to test and validate it. We use it across the entire organization to backup our virtual infrastructure. In the time we have used the product, it has been very valuable and allowed quick restoration of accidental user mistakes, as well as building sandboxes to test upgrades and patches. I really can't say enough good things, and am very happy with the transition from our previous backup solution.
- Configuration and setup is very straightforward. The product for the power it has is very simple to operate. Not a lot of complex jargon or windows to confuse the administrator.
- Validating that your data is accessible and readable. You can easily fire up your virtual servers you have backed up, or quickly load a file system to view files. It gives you great assurance that when you need your data it will be available and ready.
- Exchange Restoration. Email is so critical to our users. From time to time they delete, or lose messages of critical importance. Being able to load the information store in Veeam and extract messages or restore them directly to the mailbox is worth its weight in gold for our team.
- I believe Veeam could do a better job with reporting. At times I can find it difficult to find the true size of my backups.
- Training and resources are always appreciated to expand knowledge and understanding. This is so critical in the area of DR.
Read Matthew Michaels's full review
To my understanding it requires a virtual environment. So anyone who relies on physical servers will not be able to take advantage of the greatness of Veeam. It is also important that anyone using it in a VMware environment is not using the free hypervisor. It requires an additional API to perform backups which is not included
April 26, 2016
Veeam has been and is currently being used as a centralized backup solution within an ESX/ESXi environment containing over 130 ESX hosts along with multiple vCenters including over 6000 vms. This has been a very useful tool for this establishment and has fulfilled our needs for a solid backup solution.
- Backups at image level are reliable
- Extremely easy to use. Very user friendly
- Very little issues with bugs in the software and support is tremendous.
- A few added features
- Possible integration with other Veeam tools such as Veeam One.
Read Kevin Belonzi's full review
Veeam could really be used in any Virtual environment and I would recommend it as it is a great tool
February 23, 2016
Score 8 out of 10
We use Veeam for our organization in our two server farms. We also resell Veeam to our clients which are very satisfied for this VM Backup and Replication. I give us the security that all our VMs are backed up or replicated in the right way
Read Cesare Arienti's full review
It's suited for long and short time backups, the restore procedure of a backup is not very instantaneous but very simple. You can easily replica your VM to second location, in order to have an instant recovery of your VMs
February 12, 2016
Veeam Backup Review: "Veeam is fast, easy, and reliable. It has saved my bacon and it will save yours too!"
We use Veeam Backup & Replication to perform nightly on-site backups, cross site replication, and even in one instance in a small ROBO we use it to back up to tape for offsite. Veeam covers all of our virtualized infrastructure and even some of our physical infrastructure throughout our entire organization. The main problems Veeam solves are our need for failover and data recovery DR protection, our need for quick and easy backups, and our need for fast, accurate, and user friendly file-level recovery. It provides us with the RTO and RPO we need and doesn't break the bank or take a PhD to configure and get running.
- Fast Backups
- Fast Replication
- Web portal enabled File-Level recovery
- Easy setup and configuration
- Could use a constant replication feature for critical workloads
- Better capabilities to backup physical
- Wider integration with SAN vendors
Read Aaron Bolthouse's full review
Veer Backup & Replication has saved my bacon on multiple occasions. Anytime I do an upgrade to software or OS on critical applications or servers I run a Veeam backup first and have the knowledge that I will always have a solid way back in the case that something goes terribly wrong. Once we had a large file server that had been built poorly, multiple small VMDKs that were joined in Windows as Dynamic Disk. We lost one of the virtual disks due to a VMware file issue and it tanked the entire dynamic drive. Traditionally I would have had to recover the entire server from tape or from a very slow disk recovery. With Veeam I had that huge server back up and running in under an hour! Veeam made me an IT hero that day to my peers and it can do the same for you.
October 16, 2015
We are 95% virtualized. Veeam Backup & Replication is our lifeline when it comes to backing up important systems, replicating those systems to our data recovery site and even spinning up ad hock labs to explore and test in.
- Veeam Backup & Replication connects seamlessly into VMware using their API to orchestrate a set it and forget it backup solution.
- Veeam's ability to throttle its traffic and the functions of the WAN accelerator make it great for offsite backups.
- Veeam's support of tape libraries mean the 'keep it forever' retention policies of accounting and other groups can still be achieved.
- Microsoft DAG awareness would improve the functionality of exchange backups. When a snapshot is taken of an active database the DAG will likely fail over the databases to another server unless the tolerance is adjusted. If Veeam could note which servers host what database and then migrate them back at a scheduled time, that would be awesome.
- Dependency on the snapshot process is a bit of a hindrance. Tapping into the hyperviser level and monitoring the changed blacks as they happen may be more to direct on the storage side but it may also give faster recovery points as well as have less impact on SQL and Exchange type applications.
Read Jeff Pressler's full review
With the changed block tracking large file systems can be easily handled so long as they are stored on VMDK's which can have snapshots taken.
October 12, 2015
We internally use Veeam to backup our internal servers, and we design and deploy it for our customers. It is a comprehensive backup solution that allows granular recovery of files and application data for VMs, as well as replication. It solves problems for data protection and disaster recovery. It is easy to use and maintain.
- Reliably backs up and replicates VMs
- Easy to use and maintain
- Recovers major application and service data granularly easily, such as Exchange and AD
- Great technical support
- Better solution for physical machine backup
- Tighter integration and performance for major deduplication appliances such as Data Domain
- Proactive notification of inability to purge VMware snapshots
Read Aaron Margeson's full review
Backup and replication of virtual machines on VMware and Hyper-V. Granular file and application data recovery. Works well in environments where intuitiveness, ease of management and maintenance, and reliability are critical.
October 06, 2015
We used Veeam ONE to backup our Hyper-V servers on a daily basis and to recover lost files. It was much better than our previous solution because of how it handled change data on the virtual servers. It made recovery go from 2 to 5 hours recovering from tape with the old solution, to 10 to 15 minutes with Veeam ONE. I highly urge companies using Hyper-V to use this to backup up their infrastructure.
- Backups were completed quickly daily and weekly.
- Recovery of files or entire machines was very quick.
- The user interface was very intuitive and easy to configure and maintain.
- When we used it the only weakness was not having the ability to backup to tape for long term storage.
Read Alec Larson's full review
Any network using Hyper-V to host their file servers or email servers would benefit from this product due to it being easy to implement and maintain, as well as having fast backup and recovery times. When you need to keep mission critical systems online this is a great tool to ensure data stability and data retention.
Veeam Backup Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Veeam Backup
Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete backup and disaster recovery solution that is hardware and cloud agnostic. It aims to help businesses achieve comprehensive data protection for ALL workloads — including virtual, physical and cloud-based workloads. With a single console, the vendor aims to help users achieve fast, flexible and reliable backup, recovery and replication of all applications and data.
- Fast, reliable application-aware, image-based backups
- Unlimited capacity and cost savings for long-term data retention on object storage with new Veeam Cloud Tier
- Enterprise application support for NEW Veeam Plug-ins for SAP HANA and Oracle RMAN
- Advanced replication and failover for Disaster Recovery
- Built-in WAN Acceleration to get backups and replicas off site fast
- Fully-integrated, cloud-based DR replication and fast, secure cloud backup with Veeam Cloud Connect through a service provider
- Recover individual files easily with Instant VM and File-level Recovery
- Easy portability and recovery to AWS, Azure and Azure Stack with NEW Veeam Cloud Mobility
- Fast, item-level and application recovery for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, and SQL Server and Oracle
Veeam Backup Screenshots
With Veeam Backup Community Edition, you can migrate a live VMware VM to any host or data store—even if you don't use clusters or shared storage.Reduce storage needs by eliminating redundant VM data with Veeam data deduplication.To enable WAN acceleration, you need to deploy a pair of WAN accelerators in your backup infrastructureYou can quickly locate SharePoint items and restore them to the original or new SharePoint site, send them by e-mail or save to the specified locationYou can restore virtual and physical machines from Veeam backups directly to Microsoft Azure.You can install a standalone console on your workstation and manage the backup server remotely over the network.You can restore Microsoft SharePoint items in a couple of minutes.You can configure a "global" media pool that can use several tape libraries or standalone drives.Veeam Backup & Replication does not back up "dirty blocks" on VM guest OS.You can even restore the database to a specific transaction.
Veeam Backup Video
Veeam Backup Downloadables
Veeam Backup Integrations
Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, SAP HANA, NetApp FAS series, Pure Storage FlashArray, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory, Oracle, NetApp FlexArray (V-Series), NetApp Data ONTAP Edg, IBM N-series, HPE 3PAR, HPE StoreVirtual, Nimble Storage AFA, Nimble Storage CSS, Cisco HyperFlex, Dell EMC
Veeam Backup Competitors
Acronis Backup, Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery, Veritas Backup Exec and NetBackup, Rubrik Cloud Data Management, Cohesity DataProtect, Dell EMC
Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
Entry-level set up fee?No
Veeam sells through channel partners. Contact your partner for detailed pricing and quotes. If you do not have a partner, you can find a reseller or contact sales for assistance. https://www.veeam.com/salesinc.html
Veeam Backup Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||10%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||50%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||40%|
Veeam Backup Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Veeam Backup Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac, BSD, OES, Solaris|