Reviews (1-9 of 9)
OpenText Analytics Review: "If you have the budget for it it can do great things, if you are a small company run, don't walk away."
- In terms of extensibility this is the best reporting platform we have seen. You can build very sophisticated reports with different data sources, and extend the basic functionality with javscript code
- Securing the BI system is also a strength and the system can be configured relatively easily.
- Reports can be available on mobile devices
- We have found a ton of bugs in there, our implementation is very complex and we use a lot of features, but we wish there were less bugs. Particularly with parameter display and validation.
- Actuate has decided not to continue to support the birtondemand platform and it is running on older versions of their main platform.
- Building out security extensibility is rather complex.
- They have not had a rest interface until new versions of iHub.
- The report outputs can vary across different types such as HTML, PDF, and Excel
- Their open source offering is very sufficient
- There are great boards and blogs for developers and engineers to expand and use their features.
- The people from the company that I've worked with are professional and courteous.
- The report designer can be unstable at times.
- The reporting engine tends to have memory leaks with certain types of massive-data reporting.
- The report graphics don't have the sexiest appeal (e.g. Glossy feel, animated output)
- Some extensibility is extremely difficult to get to without purchasing a license (e.g. Setting a simple flag so that HTML outputs in compressed mode requires either creating your own emitter or going the paid route)
- End user ability to customize Business Intelligence Reporting Tools (BIRT)
- Actuate Support is usually prompt and helpful.
- Ability to embed in other applications, has extendable code for authenticating/authorizing users.
- Licensing is a bear.
- The software can be tied to Actuate Basic which is much like MS Visual Basic and can provide an almost custom application feel to some reports.
- Actuate had field movement tools that allowed a user to line rows up and disperse them across a report based off the width. Comparative tools like Crystal did not provide these.
- The Actuate Server also gave easy access to review who had been running a report or reports via its web interface.
- The debug tool that came with the Actuate 8 developer was poorly written in my opinion; compiling a report could be very difficult when a number of functions were being called.
- There wasn't any reporting that could be run to download Actuate utilization statistics. Analytics had to be done by manually reviewing who had been running reports.
- At times when the Actuate Server would become overloaded the only solution was to restart it. There wasn't a way to clear up the list of pending report requests.
- Actuate has permitted us to create stronger visualizations of data and customer data for our clients so they can make better decisions about the course of their businesses.
- Birt Analytics integrates with Salesforce.com, Microsoft Dynamics, Xcel in a short period of time and permits stronger massaging of data and integration with better "what if"scenarios.
- The ROI on this product is remarkable.
- Employees who visualize the data and other components who have been questioning the direction of management change their focus upon what they can do to improve the company. Managers who are "micro-managers of data" actually begin to visualize where some of the sub-strata they have wasted time is impairing company results.
- Customer support for their products is excellent. If you need support on site they are there when you need them.
- Anything that I would consider an area for improvement and have asked about from the company is a area where they are already doing development and refinement and when it is available it comes as a simple upgrade.
- We integrate page level security allowing a single report to service audiences of 20,000+ consumers but only deliveing the data in the vast data set applicable to the consumer.
- Publish common components allowing the development staff to deliver consistent look and feel based on the standard firm style guide.
- Reusable library objects allow for fast deployment of new application reports.
- Report rendering can take a long time for large reports (250,000+ pages) - we run these in batch over night
- The deployment of production code from development to test to production enviroments can be complex due to the number of components that must compile
- The performance of Actuate IServer is tremendous. It can handle a large volume of reports with many concurrent users.
- We can do anything in Actuate. We can write our own function, procedures, methods in Actuate. Basically we can create our own framework in Actuate. No other reporting tool is proving this functionality.
- It supports the OLTP system very well. The data can be flowed easily from one report to another report, by using array.
- Control level formatting is available.
- Support for more databases, such as other BI tools.
- There can be more graph types.
OpenText Analytics Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About OpenText Analytics
Actuate founded and co-leads the Eclipse BIRT open source project. ActuateOne is a unified suite of products for rapidly developing and deploying BIRT-based custom Business Intelligence applications and information applications. Applications built with ActuateOne provide one user experience regardless of task or skill level; are supported by one server for any deployment including cloud and are built with one BIRT design that can access and integrate any data source - including high volume print streams. ActuateOne adds rich data visualizations, including interactivity, dashboards, analytics, and deployment options to web and mobile BIRT applications, helping organizations drive revenue through higher customer satisfaction and improved operational performance.
Actuate was acquired by OpenText in January 2015.
OpenText Analytics Technical Details