If you have the budget for it it can do great things, if you are a small company run, don't walk away.
Overall Satisfaction with Actuate
We are using it to present reports to customers and to our executives for our rich media advertising business. Our entire business uses this as a reporting platform. We had internally developed reporting, that worked well, but was hard to support and extend and expensive to maintain. We also wanted to embed it in another application to include customer facing reporting in the platform they use.
- In terms of extensibility this is the best reporting platform we have seen. You can build very sophisticated reports with different data sources, and extend the basic functionality with javscript code
- Securing the BI system is also a strength and the system can be configured relatively easily.
- Reports can be available on mobile devices
- We have found a ton of bugs in there, our implementation is very complex and we use a lot of features, but we wish there were less bugs. Particularly with parameter display and validation.
- Actuate has decided not to continue to support the birtondemand platform and it is running on older versions of their main platform.
- Building out security extensibility is rather complex.
- They have not had a rest interface until new versions of iHub.
- Jaspersoft,Pentaho,Microsoft BI
Pricing for BIRT onDemand is going up 10x and sales can't negotiate. They are not supporting this platform. For us, a smaller company using iHub is going to be too expensive. We can't continue to use this solution.
If you do not have a large budget and are a large organization, I would steer clear of Actuate. If you are looking to do very complex washboarding, I would not use them. Your developers have to be very skilled to work with this. Plan to bring in consultants if necessary to help your process. Adhoc reporting is weak. If your pricing is user based and you expand, this could be very expensive.