If you have the budget for it it can do great things, if you are a small company run, don't walk away.https://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligence-biOpenText Magellan Analytics SuiteUnspecified5.6181012015-01-25T03:38:44.244Z
January 24, 2015
If you have the budget for it it can do great things, if you are a small company run, don't walk away.
Score 8 out of 101
- Report Designer Professional
Overall Satisfaction with Actuate
We are using it to present reports to customers and to our executives for our rich media advertising business. Our entire business uses this as a reporting platform. We had internally developed reporting, that worked well, but was hard to support and extend and expensive to maintain. We also wanted to embed it in another application to include customer facing reporting in the platform they use.
- In terms of extensibility this is the best reporting platform we have seen. You can build very sophisticated reports with different data sources, and extend the basic functionality with javscript code
- Securing the BI system is also a strength and the system can be configured relatively easily.
- Reports can be available on mobile devices
- We have found a ton of bugs in there, our implementation is very complex and we use a lot of features, but we wish there were less bugs. Particularly with parameter display and validation.
- Actuate has decided not to continue to support the birtondemand platform and it is running on older versions of their main platform.
- Building out security extensibility is rather complex.
- They have not had a rest interface until new versions of iHub.
- Jaspersoft,Pentaho,Microsoft BI
Pricing for BIRT onDemand is going up 10x and sales can't negotiate. They are not supporting this platform. For us, a smaller company using iHub is going to be too expensive. We can't continue to use this solution.
Adopted by infrastructure, ad-operations, sales, business, and account support. We are a small company and maintain a small number of accounts on this system. If pricing would be acceptable, we would roll this out to all of our customers.
You can include a large variety of data sources, any major rdbms, big data sources, nosql stores. A developer could write a driver for many other systems, though they have wide support. They have support for a number of sources such as salesforce.com, other web based sources can be included using scripting.
They have nice html5 charts as well as other types, with many types of styles. Visualizations can be extended using scripting. Mapping and Dashboards in iHub 3 and F-type are very powerful. Would like to see the ability to use charting from d3 or other frameworks.
LDAP and Active Directory can be integrated. Access control can be extended with web services but it can be complicated. Different types of users can have different permissions and reports can be hidden from some users. Reports can be exported in a lot of formats including microsoft formats, and pdf. Interactive viewer is very powerful.
If you do not have a large budget and are a large organization, I would steer clear of Actuate. If you are looking to do very complex washboarding, I would not use them. Your developers have to be very skilled to work with this. Plan to bring in consultants if necessary to help your process. Adhoc reporting is weak. If your pricing is user based and you expand, this could be very expensive.