Powtoon Reviews

February 13, 2021
Kim Grewe | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Powtoons to create explainer videos for online courses at our community college. We encourage faculty to create videos to personalize and humanize their online courses. Powtoons makes it easy for faculty to use because Powtoons provides a variety of templates, characters, scenarios, and music backgrounds to create quick videos. We use them for course overviews, course introductions, syllabi, and videos linking course objectives to assignments.

No everyone on my Instructional Design team uses Powtoons, but I have presented on the technology informally at our informal Friday team meetings and I encourage the teaching faculty I work with to try out Powtoons. There is a free version and the more robust paid version is VERY affordable for educators. Subscription-based with updates on a regular basis makes it nimble and appropriate for the work I do.
  • Powtoons helps me make static content more lively and interesting.
  • Powtoons provides several templates, scenarios, characters, and music to make creating a video easy.
  • Powtoons has a free version you can use, but the paid subscription price is VERY affordable for educators in particular.
  • As often is the case, the free version includes a watermark on all published products.
  • Sometimes the video templates may be too glib or light-hearted for the message being shared (like about discrimination in the workplace or COVID).
In an academic environment, Powtoons is well suited to course introductions, overviews, explaining concepts, student presentations. Powtoons is not as good for lectures.
Read Kim Grewe's full review
September 01, 2020
It is being used by the whole organization. We make videos to promote and explain our services. Since we are a domestic violence agency and are limited on ability to include real clients in pictures and videos, Powtoon is really helpful both by agency and per department (legal, counseling, case management).
  • User friendly, very intuitive interface
  • A lot of features that make a video stand out, like moving images from point a to b at specific points in the video
  • Diverse characters. We are an agency that serves a variety of people of color so it is helpful to have so many character types
  • The only con is that so many characters that are really good are on the pro version
  • The pro version feels like a big financial jump from the basic version
  • You have to pay for pro to remove the watermark if I remember correctly
As I mentioned, it is honestly really useful for an agency like Wafa House because we are limited in our ability to show clients. So creating a cartoon with a fake client and fake staff, that are culturally correct in the depiction was a really amazing way to explain the work our organization does, especially through explained slides with stats and steps.

We also used Powtoon to describe in detail the steps someone should take when working with our legal department. It's just a very cool tool.
I have never needed the support feature. As I mentioned, everything was intuitive to me however I have taught myself Adobe, Final Cut and iMovie so most of these programs became intuitive.
May 25, 2020
Penelope Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have tested Powtoon for its characteristic way of transmitting information through simple animations, like other software such as Prezi that has its characteristic "zoom and scroll" on a slide. Powtoon takes the way in which a slide is exposed to another level with animations. I started using it personally for the occasional task for my children but I tried to include this platform in my work environment and at the beginning it was a great idea since it is a new way of capturing the attention of the public and I left behind those boring slides.
  • Its interface is really simple, which helps a lot for people who want to try this new way of making presentations.
  • It has animation templates to help the user finish the presentation faster.
  • Animations can be created freely as it is highly customizable, easy, and quick without the need to be an expert in graphic design.
  • There are a large number of backgrounds, images, audios, texts, etc. that can be added to the video presentation.
  • The web version has gotten really heavy lately. They should optimize that.
  • Creating characters is not as customizable as you think. It is a bit limited in that regard.
  • Background music is also a bit limited.
  • Although it is simple to use, it takes a bit of animation knowledge and patience to achieve proper animation.
If you want to try something different than the current ways of creating a slide to transmit information within the work area or want to present a proposal to a client, Powtoon would be ideal for doing that job. It will take a little time to learn how it works but once you get the hang of it you can do amazing and professional things.
I have been able to successfully connect with the Powtoon support team and all the doubts I have had through the use I have made of this platform have been solved.
Read Penelope Brown's full review
March 26, 2020
Isaac Feldman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Powtoon both for my own promotion and for my clients as a means to promote and communicate products and offerings across multiple platforms--social media, email, etc. We also use Powtoon internally as a way to onboard new employees in a fun way and deliver all the administrative details of each position.
  • promo
  • idea pitch
  • onboarding
  • lack of variety in characters
  • limited animations
  • lack of support for video files
I think Powtoon is the best tool to start marketing in a new company since it offers to make a video, which is very good in terms of user conversion and also is heavily promoted by all online platforms. Using Powtoon for paid ads is very effective as well.
Sometimes it takes a long time for them to respond and they rely a bit too much on the community to do support rather then them doing it.
Read Isaac Feldman's full review
March 19, 2020
Christina Cvek | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Powtoon to quickly create videos that we could utilize for Google Ads YouTube campaigns. The tool enabled us to have "non-graphic designers" create quick, fun videos instead of having to rely on busy graphic designers to create videos from scratch. It saved us a lot of time and money
  • Price.
  • Easy to lean.
  • Functionality.
  • Some options only available with additional upgrade.
Powtoon can be used for showcasing videos about products/services on the company's website, as well as marketing videos that can be placed before Youtube videos to target potential customers.
Read Christina Cvek's full review
March 19, 2020
It is used to create a lot of presentations and videos with professional quality. It has a friendly user-interface that makes it able to be used across the organization.
  • We can do professional HR presentations.
  • Create different kinds of videos that impress the user.
  • Create animations with a friendly interface.
  • No downloadable version.
  • Sometimes it is difficult to understand some processes in the app.
  • Export is difficult to the user.
  • The app is not collaborative.
Powtoon is well-suited for when your company needs to create a presentation that describes a company process and share it with a client. When you need to create a video and need to render, it is not very useful.
The support is very helpful and they resolve all my problems quickly.

Lead generation (3)
Video personalization (6)
eCommerce (3)
Support for advertisements (4)
Video SEO (4)
Integration to Marketing Automation (4)
Integration to Salesforce.com (2)
Integration to Marketo (1)
Integration to HubSpot (1)
Integration to Eloqua (1)
Integration to LMS (2)
Video access controls (4)
User management (4)
External video (5)
9.4
Player customization (5)
Embedded videos (5)
Video quality / Bandwidth controls (4)
Mobile compatibility (5)
A/B testing (3)
Streaming quality reports (3)
Per viewer tracking (3)
Per video tracking (4)
Video analytics dashboard (3)
On-Demand video (4)
Live streaming (2)
Impact of streaming on network (3)
Video upload & format support (4)
Video library / File management (4)
Video portal (4)
Audience polling (2)
9.5
Audience Q&A / Live chat (1)
Video comments (2)
9.5

What is Powtoon?

Powtoon is an online video creation platform for making engaging short videos and presentations, from the company of the same name in London.