Powtoon Review

May 25, 2020

Great product!

March 19, 2020

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Powtoon, and make your voice heard!

Pro

$89

per month

Pro+

per month

What is Powtoon?

Powtoon is an online video creation platform for making engaging short videos and presentations, from the company of the same name in London.

Powtoon Technical Details

What is Powtoon?

What is Powtoon's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.6.

Who uses Powtoon?

The most common users of Powtoon are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

We use Powtoon to create training videos, both within the organization and for customers as well.

It allows us to fairly easily create captivating videos. The only other option would be to film live, which has been challenging, especially in the past year. Before using Powtoon, we used vector graphics and had to manipulate them by hand in Photoshop or Illustrator, then animate them in a video editor.
  • Offers a wide variety of preset but customizable templates
  • Provides a fairly intuitive process for editing
  • At certain price points, characters are now customizable
  • Only one timeline to edit from which sometimes makes it difficult to select objects.
  • Animations can only be set to ½ seconds. Sometimes more precise amounts of time are needed.
  • Although there are a bunch of different actions you can place on a character, it's almost impossible to create a custom action within the program.
There are a lot of customizable templates that look good with just some minor tinkering. These are eye-catching and fairly easy to manipulate. The variety of characters and poses for those characters have grown a lot throughout the years. However, if you have a specific goal in mind, most of the time I create short snippets in Powtoon, then I take these clips and do further editing in Premiere or Camtasia.
We use Powtoon to create animations by themselves or as part of other videos to aid in the illustration of complex concepts. It is being used by my department and it solves a communications problem.
  • Helps audience visualise
  • Deliver more content in shorter time
  • Grabs and retains attention well
  • Have more templates
  • Screen capture is rudimentary
  • Full desktop version with customisable library
[Powtoon] does a good job for explainer type videos, shot corporate videos and animations.

May lack the tools to give it the appropriate look when a formal corporate setting is required.
We use Powtoon to create training videos on how to leverage our educational solution. Powtoon has allowed us to create high-quality videos in a fast and easy way. Powtoon has many templates that are fully ready to be customized for your needs; they also have all sort of elements like images, backgrounds, text styles, shapes, characters, videos, sounds, effects, etc.
  • Powtoon is very easy to use; no previous experience is needed.
  • It has a lot of features (images, backgrounds, videos, sounds, etc.)
  • It automatically saves your work
  • After you have created your video, you can download it to your computer in different resolutions
  • Price difference between packages can be quite high; the pro version is too limited in comparison to the pro+
  • The free version has a watermark on the background
  • Once you have published a video, it now is in revision mode and editing options are very limited at this point
Powtoon works great for a general information video (short videos) that doesn't need too much customization. If you want to build a more customized video, you will need a more robust solution that will probably will come at a higher cost. Powtoon gets the job done in an easy way.
My organization uses Powtoon to create videos that are "in-between" training videos: they are not high-profile enough for commercials or Marketing videos, but they are nicer and more professional than Zoom recordings or dry software walkthroughs. Sometimes they are informal and fun - like our "88 Seconds of Systems" videos that take a 15-minute system overview and cram it into 4 minutes; sometimes they are more formal but still visually engaging.
These days, with the prevalence pf recorded Zoom and WebEx sessions, learners get really tired really fast of another talking head on a screen! Powtoon enables my organization to create different types of videos and eLearning engagements to wake people up and get their attention so they can learn something new!
  • Engaging visuals and out-of-the-ordinary animations
  • Easy incorporation of recorded video from other software into Powtoon creations
  • A broad and deep library of background music for different types of videos
  • Multiple template and theme options for different types of videos
  • Limitation of 90 seconds for imported video
  • More sound effect options for individual animations
  • Better organization of the images that I've created and imported
Powtoon is a very capable suite of tools that help a developer create training videos that look way better than they should. I've used it to create fun, attention-getting commercials for new topics, I've used it to enhance what would otherwise be boring step-by-step tutorials, and I've used it to create all manner of "Explainer videos" for all kinds of topics - this is where it EXCELS!

In my opinion, its biggest limitations are limits on imported video (max of 90 seconds), which mean that you have to do a lot of extra work to break up and import anything of substantive length. And because it presents your personal library of imported images and audio ONLY sequentially, it's VERY LIMITED in the re-usability of those assets - it's way faster to just import a new instance of an image and audio than to try to find it in your library.
Jane Odom | TrustRadius Reviewer
Powtoon is a great way for me to share with our consumers new products, implementation methods, teaching tools, and educational trainings. I am able to use one of the many templates, modified for use on my website, my YouTube channel, and on social media. During COVID I could easily create daily videos to keep our clients engaged virtually. Powtoon allowed me to choose from their abundant image library or use my own. It is a very versatile tool with new images added all the time.
  • Versatile
  • Fun and engaging
  • Colorful and modern
  • I would love a way to organize my own images
I create many materials for my company used for schools and therapists all over the world. I am also responsible at times for creating training videos. Powtoon allows me to easily modify a template and customize it for my needs. Videos are colorful and engaging. I can also import my own videos into a template to better illustrate my message. I run a website as well and can easily embed videos without having to bother my web designers.
Kim Grewe | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Powtoons to create explainer videos for online courses at our community college. We encourage faculty to create videos to personalize and humanize their online courses. Powtoons makes it easy for faculty to use because Powtoons provides a variety of templates, characters, scenarios, and music backgrounds to create quick videos. We use them for course overviews, course introductions, syllabi, and videos linking course objectives to assignments.

No everyone on my Instructional Design team uses Powtoons, but I have presented on the technology informally at our informal Friday team meetings and I encourage the teaching faculty I work with to try out Powtoons. There is a free version and the more robust paid version is VERY affordable for educators. Subscription-based with updates on a regular basis makes it nimble and appropriate for the work I do.
  • Powtoons helps me make static content more lively and interesting.
  • Powtoons provides several templates, scenarios, characters, and music to make creating a video easy.
  • Powtoons has a free version you can use, but the paid subscription price is VERY affordable for educators in particular.
  • As often is the case, the free version includes a watermark on all published products.
  • Sometimes the video templates may be too glib or light-hearted for the message being shared (like about discrimination in the workplace or COVID).
In an academic environment, Powtoons is well suited to course introductions, overviews, explaining concepts, student presentations. Powtoons is not as good for lectures.
It is being used by the whole organization. We make videos to promote and explain our services. Since we are a domestic violence agency and are limited on ability to include real clients in pictures and videos, Powtoon is really helpful both by agency and per department (legal, counseling, case management).
  • User friendly, very intuitive interface
  • A lot of features that make a video stand out, like moving images from point a to b at specific points in the video
  • Diverse characters. We are an agency that serves a variety of people of color so it is helpful to have so many character types
  • The only con is that so many characters that are really good are on the pro version
  • The pro version feels like a big financial jump from the basic version
  • You have to pay for pro to remove the watermark if I remember correctly
As I mentioned, it is honestly really useful for an agency like Wafa House because we are limited in our ability to show clients. So creating a cartoon with a fake client and fake staff, that are culturally correct in the depiction was a really amazing way to explain the work our organization does, especially through explained slides with stats and steps.

We also used Powtoon to describe in detail the steps someone should take when working with our legal department. It's just a very cool tool.
I have never needed the support feature. As I mentioned, everything was intuitive to me however I have taught myself Adobe, Final Cut and iMovie so most of these programs became intuitive.
May 25, 2020

Powtoon Review

Penelope Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have tested Powtoon for its characteristic way of transmitting information through simple animations, like other software such as Prezi that has its characteristic "zoom and scroll" on a slide. Powtoon takes the way in which a slide is exposed to another level with animations. I started using it personally for the occasional task for my children but I tried to include this platform in my work environment and at the beginning it was a great idea since it is a new way of capturing the attention of the public and I left behind those boring slides.
  • Its interface is really simple, which helps a lot for people who want to try this new way of making presentations.
  • It has animation templates to help the user finish the presentation faster.
  • Animations can be created freely as it is highly customizable, easy, and quick without the need to be an expert in graphic design.
  • There are a large number of backgrounds, images, audios, texts, etc. that can be added to the video presentation.
  • The web version has gotten really heavy lately. They should optimize that.
  • Creating characters is not as customizable as you think. It is a bit limited in that regard.
  • Background music is also a bit limited.
  • Although it is simple to use, it takes a bit of animation knowledge and patience to achieve proper animation.
If you want to try something different than the current ways of creating a slide to transmit information within the work area or want to present a proposal to a client, Powtoon would be ideal for doing that job. It will take a little time to learn how it works but once you get the hang of it you can do amazing and professional things.
I have been able to successfully connect with the Powtoon support team and all the doubts I have had through the use I have made of this platform have been solved.
Isaac Feldman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Powtoon both for my own promotion and for my clients as a means to promote and communicate products and offerings across multiple platforms--social media, email, etc. We also use Powtoon internally as a way to onboard new employees in a fun way and deliver all the administrative details of each position.
  • promo
  • idea pitch
  • onboarding
  • lack of variety in characters
  • limited animations
  • lack of support for video files
I think Powtoon is the best tool to start marketing in a new company since it offers to make a video, which is very good in terms of user conversion and also is heavily promoted by all online platforms. Using Powtoon for paid ads is very effective as well.
Sometimes it takes a long time for them to respond and they rely a bit too much on the community to do support rather then them doing it.
Christina Cvek | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Powtoon to quickly create videos that we could utilize for Google Ads YouTube campaigns. The tool enabled us to have "non-graphic designers" create quick, fun videos instead of having to rely on busy graphic designers to create videos from scratch. It saved us a lot of time and money
  • Price.
  • Easy to lean.
  • Functionality.
  • Some options only available with additional upgrade.
Powtoon can be used for showcasing videos about products/services on the company's website, as well as marketing videos that can be placed before Youtube videos to target potential customers.
March 19, 2020

Great product!

It is used to create a lot of presentations and videos with professional quality. It has a friendly user-interface that makes it able to be used across the organization.
  • We can do professional HR presentations.
  • Create different kinds of videos that impress the user.
  • Create animations with a friendly interface.
  • No downloadable version.
  • Sometimes it is difficult to understand some processes in the app.
  • Export is difficult to the user.
  • The app is not collaborative.
Powtoon is well-suited for when your company needs to create a presentation that describes a company process and share it with a client. When you need to create a video and need to render, it is not very useful.
The support is very helpful and they resolve all my problems quickly.