AccountEdge is the complete accounting software solution for Macintosh, if you need more than what other programs offer
Overall Satisfaction with AccountEdge
We use AccountEdge for accounting in our own bookkeeping services company and we also support clients who use it, most commonly on Mac computers, but also on Windows. It is ideal for those clients who need robust job costing and/or inventory, as well as integrated payroll that passes payroll costs through to jobs seamlessly. Other things it supports that its closest competitor, QuickBooks for Mac, does not are retainers and escrow accounts, multi-currency, and product variations in inventory like color, size, etc. One unique feature is a third way to categorize transactions, so that you can label a transaction with a job, a category (like classes in QuickBooks) and a department, all at once. I know of no other small business accounting software that offers that, on Mac or Windows. Finally, there is a mobile app as well as web browser access to be able to add transactions (like invoices for customers or expenses at the point of purchase) and to track time and then sync the data back to the company file. Employees can be given access to that feature without accessing any company information. It also integrates with Shopify web stores and their own Enstore web store software too!
- Complete Macintosh accounting software solution
- Robust inventory with price levels, quantity price breaks, and item assemblies
- Robust Job costing including progress billing, budgets, and profitability
- Mobile and web apps to add transactions from anywhere to sync back to your company file
- Integrated payroll
- Retainers and escrow accounts
- Three levels of transactions categorization-jobs, categories, and departments
- Network capable for multiple simultaneous users
- Ability to see profitability on an individual invoice
- Company file can be transferred back and forth between Mac and Windows with NO conversion needed.
- Can import text files of practically any kind of transaction
- Less user-friendly than QuickBooks for Mac, though not by much
- Reports lack some flexibility in choosing what items to include or filter, as well as sorting flexibility
- Does not retain data from previous years by default, which has both advantages and disadvantages
- For most businesses who prefer Macs, satisfies their accounting needs without having to resort to a Windows virtual solution and QuickBooks for Windows
- Flexibility allows it to be adapted to diverse kinds of businesses and processes
- Better information through job costing and inventory to help run business better
- QuickBooks for Mac,QuickBooks Online,Xero,QuickBooks Premier,QuickBooks Pro
For Mac enthusiasts, AccountEdge is the complete installed software solution for small to medium-sized businesses, as it has so many capabilities that QuickBooks for Mac lacks. However, it holds your hand less than QuickBooks for Mac does, so you ought to know what your are doing in keeping business books properly. If your needs are simple, QuickBooks for Mac may be a better solution. QuickBooks Online and Xero are excellent cloud accounting solutions that can be used on the Mac equally well as on Windows. QuickBooks Online offers a similar set of features as QuickBooks for Mac, with the addition of anywhere, anytime access. Xero is a great basic accounting solution in the cloud that can also be used equally well on Macs and WIndows, and offers endless customization and flexibility through its extensive third-party app integration for almost any need.
It is well-suited to small to medium businesses who prefer Macs and have sophisticated accounting needs that are not handled by QuickBooks for Mac, like inventory, job costing, web store integration, and integrated payroll. It is especially helpful if non-accounting employees (and owners) need to do transactions and time tracking in the field and sync it back to the company file. However, it is not well-suited to micro businesses with owners who have limited accounting knowledge.