Reviews (1-17 of 17)
Priority AccountEdge Review: "Great Accounting solution for the Mac (Supports Canada tax and payroll!)"
It also sports a decent help system and access to a knowledge base. Even though they upgrade it every year, I haven't had the need to upgrade the software for 3 years and it continues to work fine with the latest OS ( Mac OS Mojave).
- Easy to use time tracker with multiple project codes
- Easy to use interface
- Flexible reporting system
- Better custom reporting setup, current interface (AccountEdge Pro-2015) is rather dated.
- I don't think the interface use for the custom reporting has been updated even in the 2018 version
- Still has a bit of "wonky" interface when exporting Excel reports ( wants to over-right open files)
- Well suited to small to medium business with 1-50 people, strong accounting, payroll, and time tracking, also has modules for remote access and mobile time tracking.
- They also provide a free license to a company's accountant ( if not in-house).
I use AccountEdge mostly for ledger entry of transactions, client/contractor/employee information, and to run reports for tax and accounting purposes. I do not use it for its (formidable) inventory, billing, merchant services and invoicing capabilities.
- AccountEdge is great for running reports. It allows you to look up information in numerous ways. I like the fact that the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss reports are interactive so in the screen view mode (as opposed to the printed report) you can easily drill down into accounts and transactions.
- AccountEdge is also good at creating invoices and statements. Check printing and modifying check layout.
- The software is quite easy to install and get up and running. The company provides a lot of information on their site, and there is a generous community on their user forum.
- Reconciliations are fairly easy IF you are not expecting to be able to link your bank accounts to the software. AccountEdge does not do that yet (at least in the US). This is a major flaw in the software--one that I hope is addressed in the very near future.
- I like that they offer merchant services and point of purchase sales support, but I have no experience in using those capabilities.
- Linking directly to bank accounts. It seems to be the wave of the future, and it is a big glaring omission from the AccountEdge arsenal of tools.
- AccountEdge allows printing of government tax forms from within the program, but it is at an additional cost and runs on a separate (but somewhat integrated) ap called Formviewer. This is somewhat clunky to use. I have never been able to get it to print US 1099/96 forms correctly. What's up with that?!
- Similarly, AccountEdge offers direct filing of US government tax documents through a third party. This is also somewhat opaque and clunky. I bought the service this year and thought it was an "all in" purchase, only to find when I went to file W-2's that there was a per employee charge. Maybe I missed the memo as I was trying to sign up for this service, but I felt taken advantage of when I had to pull trig and pay twice.
- Finally, it is needlessly opaque and complicated to figure out how to purchase and use the printable forms and government eFiling. It almost feels like a scam. I'm hoping that the new owners fix this, pronto. There is no room in today's world of consumer and business software for hidden costs and incomplete or missing information at the point of purchase and installation.
- Expense tracking
- Invoicing clients
- Managing banking; reconciling statements
- Preparing information for my accountant for quarterly and year-end reports
- Some of the reports could be easier to customize but maybe I just don't know how to do that
- It would be nice if there was a way to also link a personal account so I can track all of my expenses in one place (business and personal)
- Would also be nice to be able to download credit card statement purchases easily directly into the program instead of having to manually add them
- AccountEdge allows us to control our services provided to in the steps from quote complete through invoice delivery.
- AccountEdge seamlessly manages our customer base from individuals through to multi-employee and department businesses.
- Order creation is simple and easy to understand and deploy
- Transition between yearly version updates/upgrades could be smoother.
- Multi-user deployment and use can frequently cause the program/app to crash or continue to display logged out users as logged-in.
On the flip side, I do all of my time tracking and billing for my business through AccountEdge. It manages my A/R, client retainers as well as allows me to set up various reminders.
For my clients I have used the built in payroll module, jobs for project tracking, Departments & Inventory Management. The built in reporting is powerful, allowing me to analyze and review business health with my clients.
- AccountEdge has a robust report menu that allows a user to slice and dice data for analysis. Report on projects for the life of the project across fiscal years. Report on different departments with segregated income statements.
- For users who want to run payroll in house that is easily done through the payroll module. Print physical checks or direct deposit to employee's account, process payroll taxes and file year end W2s.
- My personal favorites are time billing and retainers. As a service based business I can at my fingertips review how much money a client has on deposit with me and how much of that will be billed out at the end of the month. The integration with AccountEdge Mobile rounds it all out with being able to log my time on-site.
- Last but not least AccountEdge Mobile in general, as the companion app for the desktop software is invaluable. My heaviest use is the spend money feature. Excellent for logging travel receipts & cash expenses while they are fresh on the brain. Really cuts back the data entry at the end of a trip and trying to recall what something may have been for.
- While I absolutely love AccountEdge and feel it is a superior desktop solution there is always room for improvement. While all wish list items don't fit everyone's needs I think there is one we could universally agree upon. So, if I had to choose one thing I would like to see different I will have to say dynamic selection lists. While this is currently available on AE Mobile, it still hasn't come to the desktop. As someone who works on numerous files it would be incredibly helpful to be able to start typing either the name or account # and have AccountEdge narrow the selection down by character string.
Another area that for some is tricky, is inventory valuation. The value is tracked by averaging the product cost vs first in first out (FIFO).
Once the user passes these initial questions, the versatility of the software makes it easy to accommodate a variety of business models. I especially use it with creatives - photographers, writers, agents, producers, artists, designers, etc. The job (project) tracking especially shines here with the facilitation of budget creation.
- Some of my clients have had international activity. For them keeping track of transactions in currencies other than the US dollar has worked very well, though it does mean having to have a history of exchange rates handy to get the correct rate for a transaction date.
- The new "Retainers, Escrows, and Trusts" feature (since 2013) has been a welcome addition. I use it for clients who have prepaid for my services.
- I make extensive use of the ability to export reports to Excel templates. Creating an Excel table from the export file, and then using Pivot Tables, I can summarize data in ways that expand what AccountEdge can do. For example, I can summarize cash receipts by payment type, and tie to the Forms 1099-K that the credit card companies send.
- Another new feature I have started using is "Pay Payroll Liabilities." It provides an easy "check-off" of the taxes or other payables to specific agencies.
- I love the ability to custom-design the chart of accounts. In most circumstances having four levels of detail is sufficient. But sometimes it would be nice to have another level or two, especially for manufacturing businesses. And when a client has put something that should be a "Cost of Sales" account into the "Expenses" section, it would be nice to be able to change the account type to get it to the correct section, so that the income statement puts it in the right place.
- A feature I learned about some years ago can be very helpful if you discover that a correction needs to be made in a prior year — for example, sometimes a client will set up a purchase order, with a payment, and forget to convert it to a bill. If that conversion is done the next fiscal year, it puts the cash basis expense into the wrong year. But by "starting a New Fiscal Year" and choosing to go BACK a year (i.e., from 2015 to 2014) instead of the normal forward, you now can fix that mistake in the correct period. Then go back to the current fiscal year for ongoing transactions.
- My biggest frustration, and one that I've mentioned to Acclivity for many years, is that it only permits opening nine windows at a time (plus the home window). I hit that limit almost daily, and then I have to decide what do I close so I can complete the transaction that needed the "9th" window.
- The Accounts section includes two quick reports, "Analyze Profit and Loss" and "Analyze Balance Sheet. These can be filtered for the current month or any prior month in the current fiscal year. And that's fine most of the year, but at the beginning of the next year, when I haven't yet started the new fiscal year, these only go to December of the prior year. The regular reports for these can select "next year;" why can't these?
- It would be helpful if the journal entry number would have one or two additional digits available. For example, when I am entering journal entries for a client, I would like to use a number such as CPA2014001, CPA2014002, etc. to distinguish what I enter from the "automatic" entries that AccountEdge does. But that's one more digit than AccountEdge allows, so if I had over 100 adjustments, I would run out of entry numbers.
- Job Costing.
- Relatively simple to work with.
- Good visual layout.
- Poor customer support.
- Buggy software.
- No VPN support.
- Weak reporting, with limited customization.
- Not well integrated or supported by many other solutions.
- Their mobile platform is absolutely horrible.
- Their payroll solution is awkward, and buggy.
Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge is the complete accounting software solution for Macintosh, if you need more than what other programs offer"
- Complete Macintosh accounting software solution
- Robust inventory with price levels, quantity price breaks, and item assemblies
- Robust Job costing including progress billing, budgets, and profitability
- Mobile and web apps to add transactions from anywhere to sync back to your company file
- Integrated payroll
- Retainers and escrow accounts
- Three levels of transactions categorization-jobs, categories, and departments
- Network capable for multiple simultaneous users
- Ability to see profitability on an individual invoice
- Company file can be transferred back and forth between Mac and Windows with NO conversion needed.
- Can import text files of practically any kind of transaction
- Less user-friendly than QuickBooks for Mac, though not by much
- Reports lack some flexibility in choosing what items to include or filter, as well as sorting flexibility
- Does not retain data from previous years by default, which has both advantages and disadvantages
- Job Coding - Forget having a set of books for each venture a client undertakes. Merge them all together and use the Job Coding to keep them separate.
- Sorting - It is extremely helpful to be able to view the Bank Register window by Name, Account, Amount, etc. I can quickly sort by Name and see the last time I paid someone or by Account to see if everything looks correct.
- Reconciling Statements - Being able to view by Debits or Credits allows you to quickly find the amount. Also, genius idea to have the items you mark instantly have a blue background which allows your eye to quickly scan the remaining numbers.
- Autofill - In the Spend Money Window, when I key in a Vendor which is only used for Fuel it would be nice if it filled in FUEL.
- I would like to not have to pay for the Payroll Tax Tables updates in the Do It Yourself Payroll Program.
- Strong Reports (P&L, Sales, Inventory)
- Very Easy to Use
- Easy implementation
- Great UI for the Mac version
- CRM, CRM, CRM. Make the CRM stronger. Something like "Chatter" for SalesForce would be a great addition...
- UI for Windows version. Yuck. Usable, but ugly.
- Mac Version needs more support. It should be able to handle all of my employees at once.
- User-friendly. The program is very well organized and laid out.
- Easy to manipulate and customize.
- There's room for error and mistakes can always be corrected.
- Congruence with email systems.
- Implementation of copy/paste functionality.
- Addition of "share" button.
- Addition of "work completed" or "history" for daily tasks and tracking.
- I really appreciate the integration of AccountEdge and SurePayroll. You can save a lot of payroll processing time by not entering payroll into two separate systems and also feel secure in knowing that your reports and tax liabilities are being properly and timely submitted.
- I appreciate the fact that you can pick and choose your add-ons to this system. Some other account systems bulk up their software by attempting to make it do everything. It makes the system incredibly complicated and large. They are constantly coming out with new updates to deal with software and operating system compatibility problems. This really makes other software less productive.
- As a bookkeeper who started out on ledgers and journals, I appreciate the fact that you can close out a year and not have access to it again. I see so many clients who use other software go back and change items in periods that they have reconciled and closed. This creates problems that they are unable to understand, let alone fix with journal entries and adjustments. This software was created by people who at least have a basic understanding of accounting principles.
- AccountEdge reporting features are just as good if not better than any other accounting software. You are able to do all of the same functions as any of their competitors.
- Navigating through the system could be a little easier. For the most part, it is intuitive, but it looks so different from what people are used to seeing that if I had to make one improvement, it would be that.
- I haven't had to use their subscription support, but I heard it's a little expensive.
- I do wish that it was a little easier to transfer data from one accounting system to another. I realize why software companies like QuickBooks make this more difficult, because their clients would jump ship immediately to more proficient programs like AccountEdge. But, there should be a easier way to migrate from one system to the next other than reentering all your transactions.
- AccountEdge provides a great payroll tax service for reporting, paying and staying compliant through Aatrix.
- I have recently found how to code payroll to different localities which is very beneficial working in the construction industry.
- AccountEdge has a great tool for customizing forms such as invoices and checks.
- I would love to be able to add a second company file to my AccountEdge program. I haven't found where to do this yet.
- I would love to be able to set my reports to default to Cash Basis reporting instead of Accrual as I sometimes print without changing this and get erroneous reports.
- I would like to have more functionality with making custom reports.
- AccountEdge is easy to learn. With only a little guidance, I managed to figure out how to use AccountEdge in under a week.
- It is compatible with Mac and is comparable to the most common small business accounting software. Our company runs Macs and this was one of the few options available to us.
- It has a partnership with our payroll company, so the annual fee is waived.
- There is a limited amount of control: this is a broad weakness.
- AccountEdge doesn't make it easy to fix entries, there can be errors when trying to undo an entry that prevent you from doing so.
- Bookkeeping is a hassle. It doesn't have an option for default settings when recording sales/expenses and requires that.
- Limitations to the rules for importing and exporting sales and ledgers. Although it has a place to import bank statements and it has a method to import sales, the importing features are severely limited.
- The network edition is very slow.
- Flexibility of payment terms. These were very easy to change as needed.
- The quote function was helpful for long and detailed framing orders so that they could be written up once and converted into an invoice at the completion of a job.
- For balance due the client records were very easy to sort through alphabetically, by amount due, chronologically by invoice date, etc.
- You have an option to add a "discount" to invoices, and we would insert a negative value to generate a surcharge for rush orders. This generated confusion with our clients since the column read "discount", so perhaps AccountEdge can generate a surcharge column option.
- NYC has a consolidated tax rate (8.875%), but AccountEdge would often use the default NY State tax of 4%. There did not seem to be a function to universally apply a NYC tax rate to all records. It was tedious to update all of our client records to use the NYC tax rate instead of NY State.
- Because AccountEdge has so many different uses, we are able to carry out every step of a sale in one single program. Everything from order placement, to invoicing/billing, to balancing accounts.
- AccountEdge is very user friendly. It is laid out in a way that is very easy to learn and simple to understand.
- AccountEdge is very well supported. Any time that we had problems with the program we were able to get a hold of someone to help us fix it.
- There are no integration options for printing shipping labels. It would be a useful feature to provide so that small companies that are using the product for the entire order-placing process would no longer need to use a second program to print labels.
- The user interface is simple to use, but is very outdated. AccountEdge could use a make-over.
- As far as Inventory Control goes, the system is very basic. It would be nice to see some improvements that allow for better manageability of inventory levels for a retail company.
Priority AccountEdge Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Priority AccountEdge
AccountEdge Pro is a complete small business accounting and management solution for a Mac or Windows office, with everything users need to make sales and purchases, run payroll, track and build inventory, bill for time, and manage contacts.
The vendor says business can do the following with AccountEdge Pro:
Invoicing & Quotes
Create quotes, orders, and invoices for services, time, or items sold. Process payments on orders and invoices.
Spend and receive money, prepare bank deposits and electronic payments, print checks, and reconcile accounts.
Create and track your purchase orders and bills. Receive items, pay bills, and send payment notifications.
Bill for your activities based on customer, employee, or activity billing rates. Track employee hours with timesheets.
Pay Your Employees
Pay your employees directly, or sign up for Full Service Payroll. Keep track of vacation and sick time, 401K, and health care deductions.
Track item locations, variations, and sell online. Build kits from individual items. Keep track of item details.
Sell items online with Shopify. Sync existing inventory items for sale online and download online orders directly to AccountEdge. No re-entry of data required.
AccountEdge Cloud is a browser-based web application that allows users to create quotes, orders and invoices for items and activities.
Priority AccountEdge Screenshots
Priority AccountEdge Integrations
Priority AccountEdge Competitors
AccountEdge is available to new customers for $399. Optional product upgrades are released every year for $159 single-user upgrade or $249 multi-user upgrade.
Priority AccountEdge Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||75%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||25%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||0%|
Priority AccountEdge Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Priority AccountEdge Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Mac|
|Supported Countries:||United States, Canada|