AccountEdge is a small business accounting software for Mac and Windows users. AccountEdge allows business owners to organize, process, and report on their financial information. Its features include accounting, integrated payroll, sales and purchases, contact management, inventory, and time billing. It was acquired by Priority Software in January 2018 to expand that company's small business portfolio.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/F3/oe/1X3DC47TCPXM.PNGGreat Accounting solution for the Mac (Supports Canada tax and payroll!)As a small company, I needed something that did time tracking with multiple project codes and was a true double entry accounting system. AccountEdge fulfills those needs. Even though it is a full double-entry accounting system, it has a good user interface and is relatively easy to use. It also sports a decent help system and access to a knowledge base. Even though they upgrade it every year, I haven't had the need to upgrade the software for 3 years and it continues to work fine with the latest OS ( Mac OS Mojave).,Easy to use time tracker with multiple project codes Easy to use interface Flexible reporting system,Better custom reporting setup, current interface (AccountEdge Pro-2015) is rather dated. I don't think the interface use for the custom reporting has been updated even in the 2018 version Still has a bit of "wonky" interface when exporting Excel reports ( wants to over-right open files),8,Using AccountEdge has allowed me to do my own booking keeping thus saving money Easlily produce and email invoices and statements to clients Easily see me my AR and AP status,AccountEdge -22 years of experienceI use AccountEdge for three small business. I have been using the software since 1996 when it was marketed as MYOB and was the only professional bookkeeping software available for Apple computers. Since then, I have remained faithful through re-writes and acquisitions. Overall, I really like the software and have found it to be very adaptable to my needs in the different companies (more on that later). I have a small amount of experience with Quickbooks for Mac, so I can offer some generalized comparisons. I use AccountEdge mostly for ledger entry of transactions, client/contractor/employee information, and to run reports for tax and accounting purposes. I do not use it for its (formidable) inventory, billing, merchant services and invoicing capabilities.,AccountEdge is great for running reports. It allows you to look up information in numerous ways. I like the fact that the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss reports are interactive so in the screen view mode (as opposed to the printed report) you can easily drill down into accounts and transactions. AccountEdge is also good at creating invoices and statements. Check printing and modifying check layout. The software is quite easy to install and get up and running. The company provides a lot of information on their site, and there is a generous community on their user forum. Reconciliations are fairly easy IF you are not expecting to be able to link your bank accounts to the software. AccountEdge does not do that yet (at least in the US). This is a major flaw in the software--one that I hope is addressed in the very near future. I like that they offer merchant services and point of purchase sales support, but I have no experience in using those capabilities.,Linking directly to bank accounts. It seems to be the wave of the future, and it is a big glaring omission from the AccountEdge arsenal of tools. AccountEdge allows printing of government tax forms from within the program, but it is at an additional cost and runs on a separate (but somewhat integrated) ap called Formviewer. This is somewhat clunky to use. I have never been able to get it to print US 1099/96 forms correctly. What's up with that?! Similarly, AccountEdge offers direct filing of US government tax documents through a third party. This is also somewhat opaque and clunky. I bought the service this year and thought it was an "all in" purchase, only to find when I went to file W-2's that there was a per employee charge. Maybe I missed the memo as I was trying to sign up for this service, but I felt taken advantage of when I had to pull trig and pay twice. Finally, it is needlessly opaque and complicated to figure out how to purchase and use the printable forms and government eFiling. It almost feels like a scam. I'm hoping that the new owners fix this, pronto. There is no room in today's world of consumer and business software for hidden costs and incomplete or missing information at the point of purchase and installation.,7,I've used the software for 22 years now, and am very happy with the way it works. I've been able to train people on it fairly well. I look forward to the day when I do not have to download information from banks manually to reconcile. Time burner.,On The Edge with AccountEdgeAccountEdge Pro is used by all staff and is the primary base for our inventory, invoicing and service deployment.,AccountEdge allows us to control our services provided to in the steps from quote complete through invoice delivery. AccountEdge seamlessly manages our customer base from individuals through to multi-employee and department businesses. Order creation is simple and easy to understand and deploy,Transition between yearly version updates/upgrades could be smoother. Multi-user deployment and use can frequently cause the program/app to crash or continue to display logged out users as logged-in.,8,AccountEdge-An alternative to QuickBooksI am a one-person graphic design company and I use AccountEdge to manage my business payables and receivables. It lets me easily input my expenses, assign them to a project, if applicable and then when I am ready to bill the client I can mark-up the expenses and easily bill my clients knowing that I am not forgetting to bill anything.,Expense tracking Invoicing clients Managing banking; reconciling statements Preparing information for my accountant for quarterly and year-end reports,Some of the reports could be easier to customize but maybe I just don't know how to do that It would be nice if there was a way to also link a personal account so I can track all of my expenses in one place (business and personal) Would also be nice to be able to download credit card statement purchases easily directly into the program instead of having to manually add them,8,I don't need to hire a bookkeeper so it saves me that expense,,Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe PhotoshopAccountEdge Pro Goes The DistanceI've been using AccountEdge for my business and household in addition to using it with clients since 1999. For me, simply put, its function is to show me the money trails. With it I track credit card & bank balances, reconcile to the penny and know exactly the areas of my business and/or household spending is occurring. On the flip side, I do all of my time tracking and billing for my business through AccountEdge. It manages my A/R, client retainers as well as allows me to set up various reminders. For my clients I have used the built in payroll module, jobs for project tracking, Departments & Inventory Management. The built in reporting is powerful, allowing me to analyze and review business health with my clients.,AccountEdge has a robust report menu that allows a user to slice and dice data for analysis. Report on projects for the life of the project across fiscal years. Report on different departments with segregated income statements. For users who want to run payroll in house that is easily done through the payroll module. Print physical checks or direct deposit to employee's account, process payroll taxes and file year end W2s. My personal favorites are time billing and retainers. As a service based business I can at my fingertips review how much money a client has on deposit with me and how much of that will be billed out at the end of the month. The integration with AccountEdge Mobile rounds it all out with being able to log my time on-site. Last but not least AccountEdge Mobile in general, as the companion app for the desktop software is invaluable. My heaviest use is the spend money feature. Excellent for logging travel receipts & cash expenses while they are fresh on the brain. Really cuts back the data entry at the end of a trip and trying to recall what something may have been for.,While I absolutely love AccountEdge and feel it is a superior desktop solution there is always room for improvement. While all wish list items don't fit everyone's needs I think there is one we could universally agree upon. So, if I had to choose one thing I would like to see different I will have to say dynamic selection lists. While this is currently available on AE Mobile, it still hasn't come to the desktop. As someone who works on numerous files it would be incredibly helpful to be able to start typing either the name or account # and have AccountEdge narrow the selection down by character string.,10,A big plus for me has been the overall organization that AccountEdge has allowed me. Aside from being the obvious, an accounting tool, I have everything I need in one place for customer service in a searchable format. The communication efficiency that results from having all the information available makes follow up with clients and vendors easy and meaningful.,Xero,QuickBooks Mac,1,9,10
Windows, Mac
Priority AccountEdge

Priority AccountEdge Reviews

Priority AccountEdge
Top Rated Award
Filter 31 vetted Priority AccountEdge reviews and ratings
John Readwin profile photo
November 02, 2018

Priority AccountEdge Review: "Great Accounting solution for the Mac (Supports Canada tax and payroll!)"

• Easy to use time tracker with multiple project codes
  • Easy to use interface
  • Flexible reporting system
  • Better custom reporting setup, current interface (AccountEdge Pro-2015) is rather dated.
  • I don't think the interface use for the custom reporting has been updated even in the 2018 version
  • Still has a bit of "wonky" interface when exporting Excel reports ( wants to over-right open files)
  • Well suited to small to medium business with 1-50 people, strong accounting, payroll, and time tracking, also has modules for remote access and mobile time tracking.
  • They also provide a free license to a company's accountant ( if not in-house).
Read John Readwin's full review
Dan Workman profile photo
January 26, 2018

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge -22 years of experience"

• AccountEdge is great for running reports. It allows you to look up information in numerous ways. I like the fact that the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss reports are interactive so in the screen view mode (as opposed to the printed report) you can easily drill down into accounts and transactions.
  • AccountEdge is also good at creating invoices and statements. Check printing and modifying check layout.
  • The software is quite easy to install and get up and running. The company provides a lot of information on their site, and there is a generous community on their user forum.
  • Reconciliations are fairly easy IF you are not expecting to be able to link your bank accounts to the software. AccountEdge does not do that yet (at least in the US). This is a major flaw in the software--one that I hope is addressed in the very near future.
  • I like that they offer merchant services and point of purchase sales support, but I have no experience in using those capabilities.
  • Linking directly to bank accounts. It seems to be the wave of the future, and it is a big glaring omission from the AccountEdge arsenal of tools.
  • AccountEdge allows printing of government tax forms from within the program, but it is at an additional cost and runs on a separate (but somewhat integrated) ap called Formviewer. This is somewhat clunky to use. I have never been able to get it to print US 1099/96 forms correctly. What's up with that?!
  • Similarly, AccountEdge offers direct filing of US government tax documents through a third party. This is also somewhat opaque and clunky. I bought the service this year and thought it was an "all in" purchase, only to find when I went to file W-2's that there was a per employee charge. Maybe I missed the memo as I was trying to sign up for this service, but I felt taken advantage of when I had to pull trig and pay twice.
  • Finally, it is needlessly opaque and complicated to figure out how to purchase and use the printable forms and government eFiling. It almost feels like a scam. I'm hoping that the new owners fix this, pronto. There is no room in today's world of consumer and business software for hidden costs and incomplete or missing information at the point of purchase and installation.
If you are handling a large client list, and are selling services, it is dead easy. If you are managing/selling a physical inventory, it seems like it has great options to do that quite well (disclaimer, I do not use those functions, but I have paid attention as that functionality was built into the software). If you want to link your bank account to a bookkeeping platform, this is not the software for you (at least so far).
Read Dan Workman's full review
Edward Komyshyn profile photo
October 03, 2017

Priority AccountEdge Review: "On The Edge with AccountEdge"

• AccountEdge allows us to control our services provided to in the steps from quote complete through invoice delivery.
  • AccountEdge seamlessly manages our customer base from individuals through to multi-employee and department businesses.
  • Order creation is simple and easy to understand and deploy
  • Transition between yearly version updates/upgrades could be smoother.
  • Multi-user deployment and use can frequently cause the program/app to crash or continue to display logged out users as logged-in.
AccountEdge is very well suited for a blend of a retail and service provider business that has a dedicated need for inventory management and ease of order management from quote through to invoice deployment.
Read Edward Komyshyn's full review
December 06, 2017

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge-An alternative to QuickBooks"

• Expense tracking
  • Invoicing clients
  • Managing banking; reconciling statements
  • Preparing information for my accountant for quarterly and year-end reports
  • Some of the reports could be easier to customize but maybe I just don't know how to do that
  • It would be nice if there was a way to also link a personal account so I can track all of my expenses in one place (business and personal)
  • Would also be nice to be able to download credit card statement purchases easily directly into the program instead of having to manually add them
I am a sole practitioner, graphic designer and I find Accountedge has been very easy to use. I don't take advantage of the inventory tracking or timesheet capability that it offers but I do use it to easily track and code expenses and invoice clients.
joAnn Ortiz profile photo
March 17, 2016

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge Pro Goes The Distance"

• AccountEdge has a robust report menu that allows a user to slice and dice data for analysis. Report on projects for the life of the project across fiscal years. Report on different departments with segregated income statements.
  • For users who want to run payroll in house that is easily done through the payroll module. Print physical checks or direct deposit to employee's account, process payroll taxes and file year end W2s.
  • My personal favorites are time billing and retainers. As a service based business I can at my fingertips review how much money a client has on deposit with me and how much of that will be billed out at the end of the month. The integration with AccountEdge Mobile rounds it all out with being able to log my time on-site.
  • Last but not least AccountEdge Mobile in general, as the companion app for the desktop software is invaluable. My heaviest use is the spend money feature. Excellent for logging travel receipts & cash expenses while they are fresh on the brain. Really cuts back the data entry at the end of a trip and trying to recall what something may have been for.
  • While I absolutely love AccountEdge and feel it is a superior desktop solution there is always room for improvement. While all wish list items don't fit everyone's needs I think there is one we could universally agree upon. So, if I had to choose one thing I would like to see different I will have to say dynamic selection lists. While this is currently available on AE Mobile, it still hasn't come to the desktop. As someone who works on numerous files it would be incredibly helpful to be able to start typing either the name or account # and have AccountEdge narrow the selection down by character string.
I feel AccountEdge is almost universally well suited for most small & medium businesses - either manufacturing or service based. There are a few caveats however. The first thing that needs to be assessed is how the product will be used. If a user desires a cloud based product, this may not the the right accounting suite for them. While there is some cloud functionality with the addition of AccountEdge Cloud as a data entry portal, it must be understood that ultimately the database resides somewhere on someone's desktop and continual syncing is required.

Another area that for some is tricky, is inventory valuation. The value is tracked by averaging the product cost vs first in first out (FIFO).

Once the user passes these initial questions, the versatility of the software makes it easy to accommodate a variety of business models. I especially use it with creatives - photographers, writers, agents, producers, artists, designers, etc. The job (project) tracking especially shines here with the facilitation of budget creation.
Read joAnn Ortiz's full review
Thomas Healy profile photo
December 23, 2015

Priority AccountEdge Review: "Give your business an edge with AccountEdge"

I use AccountEdge for my company's accounting, including billing, accounts receivable, and retainers, accounts payable, and payroll. As a 'lone eagle,' I don't have any staff doing this, I do it myself. I started with it back in 1995, when it was called "MYOB" for "Mind Your Own Business." While the program is available both for Windows and Mac computers, I have always used it on a Mac. I have some clients who have used the PC version; I can work with their data file on my Mac without having to do special backups, because the data file itself is completely cross-platform compatible, unlike some competitive products.
  • Some of my clients have had international activity. For them keeping track of transactions in currencies other than the US dollar has worked very well, though it does mean having to have a history of exchange rates handy to get the correct rate for a transaction date.
  • The new "Retainers, Escrows, and Trusts" feature (since 2013) has been a welcome addition. I use it for clients who have prepaid for my services.
  • I make extensive use of the ability to export reports to Excel templates. Creating an Excel table from the export file, and then using Pivot Tables, I can summarize data in ways that expand what AccountEdge can do. For example, I can summarize cash receipts by payment type, and tie to the Forms 1099-K that the credit card companies send.
  • Another new feature I have started using is "Pay Payroll Liabilities." It provides an easy "check-off" of the taxes or other payables to specific agencies.
  • I love the ability to custom-design the chart of accounts. In most circumstances having four levels of detail is sufficient. But sometimes it would be nice to have another level or two, especially for manufacturing businesses. And when a client has put something that should be a "Cost of Sales" account into the "Expenses" section, it would be nice to be able to change the account type to get it to the correct section, so that the income statement puts it in the right place.
  • A feature I learned about some years ago can be very helpful if you discover that a correction needs to be made in a prior year — for example, sometimes a client will set up a purchase order, with a payment, and forget to convert it to a bill. If that conversion is done the next fiscal year, it puts the cash basis expense into the wrong year. But by "starting a New Fiscal Year" and choosing to go BACK a year (i.e., from 2015 to 2014) instead of the normal forward, you now can fix that mistake in the correct period. Then go back to the current fiscal year for ongoing transactions.
  • My biggest frustration, and one that I've mentioned to Acclivity for many years, is that it only permits opening nine windows at a time (plus the home window). I hit that limit almost daily, and then I have to decide what do I close so I can complete the transaction that needed the "9th" window.
  • The Accounts section includes two quick reports, "Analyze Profit and Loss" and "Analyze Balance Sheet. These can be filtered for the current month or any prior month in the current fiscal year. And that's fine most of the year, but at the beginning of the next year, when I haven't yet started the new fiscal year, these only go to December of the prior year. The regular reports for these can select "next year;" why can't these?
  • It would be helpful if the journal entry number would have one or two additional digits available. For example, when I am entering journal entries for a client, I would like to use a number such as CPA2014001, CPA2014002, etc. to distinguish what I enter from the "automatic" entries that AccountEdge does. But that's one more digit than AccountEdge allows, so if I had over 100 adjustments, I would run out of entry numbers.
If you are doing your accounting on a Mac, this is the go-to accounting application. The major competitor doesn't come close in features. For both PC and Mac users, the major competitor does too many things inside a black box, so you don't know for sure how it comes up with some of the results it shows. AccountEdge doesn't have those hidden "features."
Read Thomas Healy's full review
Jay Crabtree profile photo
October 12, 2015

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge, not worth the trouble."

We currently use AccountEdge for our company wide accounting resource, including AR/AP, Payroll and inventory management.
  • Job Costing.
  • Relatively simple to work with.
  • Good visual layout.
  • Poor customer support.
  • Buggy software.
  • No VPN support.
  • Weak reporting, with limited customization.
  • Not well integrated or supported by many other solutions.
  • Their mobile platform is absolutely horrible.
  • Their payroll solution is awkward, and buggy.
Given the poor customer support, lack of VPN and a worthwhile web solution, I would avoid it. We are looking at switching over to Xero as an alternative.
Read Jay Crabtree's full review
Brent Blackburn profile photo
May 21, 2015

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge is the complete accounting software solution for Macintosh, if you need more than what other programs offer"

We use AccountEdge for accounting in our own bookkeeping services company and we also support clients who use it, most commonly on Mac computers, but also on Windows. It is ideal for those clients who need robust job costing and/or inventory, as well as integrated payroll that passes payroll costs through to jobs seamlessly. Other things it supports that its closest competitor, QuickBooks for Mac, does not are retainers and escrow accounts, multi-currency, and product variations in inventory like color, size, etc. One unique feature is a third way to categorize transactions, so that you can label a transaction with a job, a category (like classes in QuickBooks) and a department, all at once. I know of no other small business accounting software that offers that, on Mac or Windows. Finally, there is a mobile app as well as web browser access to be able to add transactions (like invoices for customers or expenses at the point of purchase) and to track time and then sync the data back to the company file. Employees can be given access to that feature without accessing any company information. It also integrates with Shopify web stores and their own Enstore web store software too!
  • Complete Macintosh accounting software solution
  • Robust inventory with price levels, quantity price breaks, and item assemblies
  • Robust Job costing including progress billing, budgets, and profitability
  • Mobile and web apps to add transactions from anywhere to sync back to your company file
  • Integrated payroll
  • Retainers and escrow accounts
  • Three levels of transactions categorization-jobs, categories, and departments
  • Multi-currency
  • Network capable for multiple simultaneous users
  • Ability to see profitability on an individual invoice
  • Company file can be transferred back and forth between Mac and Windows with NO conversion needed.
  • Can import text files of practically any kind of transaction
  • Less user-friendly than QuickBooks for Mac, though not by much
  • Reports lack some flexibility in choosing what items to include or filter, as well as sorting flexibility
  • Does not retain data from previous years by default, which has both advantages and disadvantages
It is well-suited to small to medium businesses who prefer Macs and have sophisticated accounting needs that are not handled by QuickBooks for Mac, like inventory, job costing, web store integration, and integrated payroll. It is especially helpful if non-accounting employees (and owners) need to do transactions and time tracking in the field and sync it back to the company file. However, it is not well-suited to micro businesses with owners who have limited accounting knowledge.
Read Brent Blackburn's full review
Sharon L. Nash profile photo
May 20, 2015

Priority AccountEdge Review: "IF Your Accountant cannot Drive a Chevy - Run. Run fast."

The clients I work with have multiple businesses from Sole Proprietorships to LLCs to S Corps to personal accounting. Co-mingling of funds has always been an issue. In a perfect world business expense come out of the business account, etc. etc. By using a Job code for expenses and income, I can combine multiple checkbooks and still run individual P&L's for those jobs. And yet at the end of the day, a client can see a Balance Sheet that represents their entire life.
  • Job Coding - Forget having a set of books for each venture a client undertakes. Merge them all together and use the Job Coding to keep them separate.
  • Sorting - It is extremely helpful to be able to view the Bank Register window by Name, Account, Amount, etc. I can quickly sort by Name and see the last time I paid someone or by Account to see if everything looks correct.
  • Reconciling Statements - Being able to view by Debits or Credits allows you to quickly find the amount. Also, genius idea to have the items you mark instantly have a blue background which allows your eye to quickly scan the remaining numbers.
  • Autofill - In the Spend Money Window, when I key in a Vendor which is only used for Fuel it would be nice if it filled in FUEL.
  • I would like to not have to pay for the Payroll Tax Tables updates in the Do It Yourself Payroll Program.
Most people use QuickBooks because their accountant does. I tell them if your accountant said they could only drive a Ford and not a Chevy would you think they are very smart? NO, You should not trust your accounting to someone who can only use QuickBooks. Find an accountant who is competent in AccountEdge. If you really like your accountant and they only use QuickBooks and you wouldn't mind suffering to use an inferior product so you can please them, by all means stay with what you are using. However, if you want the job done more efficiently use AccountEdge.
Read Sharon L. Nash's full review
Jeremy Doyle profile photo
July 12, 2014

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge works! well."

AccountEdge is our Accounting/Order entry software. It's used daily by upwards of 20 employees. All Mac's signing in through a remote desktop to a windows server where AccountEdge is hosted. A/E is extremely easy to use, has powerful reports, and great features. There is only one thing that would make it better, and that is if it were to have better support for Mac and not just Windows. The Mac app is not robust enough for our 20+ employee company, but that may be due to implementation, something that Acclivity should be helping us with, but hasn't contacted us to try and upgrade. Not sure we would anyhow, due to what our IT Department has said about A/E for Mac.
  • Strong Reports (P&L, Sales, Inventory)
  • Very Easy to Use
  • Easy implementation
  • Great UI for the Mac version
  • CRM, CRM, CRM. Make the CRM stronger. Something like "Chatter" for SalesForce would be a great addition...
  • UI for Windows version. Yuck. Usable, but ugly.
  • Mac Version needs more support. It should be able to handle all of my employees at once.
AccountEdge will work for any small business, and I am sure for enterprises as well. It needs to be made into a one-stop shop for everything from Accounting, Sales, and Marketing. Once this is done we would consolidate all of our services into one. Nonetheless, if you are looking for accounting software to run your business....this will be exactly what you need.
Read Jeremy Doyle's full review
Valerie Gabriel profile photo
July 09, 2014

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge Pro's & Con's"

Our organization uses AccountEdge for inventory, sales, accounting, and various business functions. It's currently used by all departments in our corporate office except Warehouse and Human Resources. It addresses business problems such as: inventory control, accounts receivable & payable, assets & liabilities, banking & budgeting/forecasting, etc.
  • User-friendly. The program is very well organized and laid out.
  • Easy to manipulate and customize.
  • There's room for error and mistakes can always be corrected.
  • Congruence with email systems.
  • Implementation of copy/paste functionality.
  • Addition of "share" button.
  • Addition of "work completed" or "history" for daily tasks and tracking.
It is well suited for a small business. Key questions to ask would be: what size company and level of data is to be managed?
Read Valerie Gabriel's full review
Linda Gonzales profile photo
July 08, 2014

Priority AccountEdge Review: "Longtime Advocate for AccountEdge"

I used AccountEdge when I ran my own marketing company several years ago. I used many of the software features including SurePayroll which was their web based payroll solution. At the time we were running all Macintosh machines and operating systems. We had developed customized databases using FileMaker Pro and I was able to integrate my reports into that program by using MSExcel. The whole process took a little bit of time to set up, but once it was running, we had no problems with it for five years until our company closed. Now I have helped clients set up their Chart of Accounts and maintain their books in this program. I have been advocating AccountEdge over other accounting software, like QuickBooks, because it operates better on most systems and doesn't cause the kind of software conflicts that other brands do, especially when run on Macintosh systems. Unlike other accounting software you are able to get customer support from this company, not just their affiliates.
  • I really appreciate the integration of AccountEdge and SurePayroll. You can save a lot of payroll processing time by not entering payroll into two separate systems and also feel secure in knowing that your reports and tax liabilities are being properly and timely submitted.
  • I appreciate the fact that you can pick and choose your add-ons to this system. Some other account systems bulk up their software by attempting to make it do everything. It makes the system incredibly complicated and large. They are constantly coming out with new updates to deal with software and operating system compatibility problems. This really makes other software less productive.
  • As a bookkeeper who started out on ledgers and journals, I appreciate the fact that you can close out a year and not have access to it again. I see so many clients who use other software go back and change items in periods that they have reconciled and closed. This creates problems that they are unable to understand, let alone fix with journal entries and adjustments. This software was created by people who at least have a basic understanding of accounting principles.
  • AccountEdge reporting features are just as good if not better than any other accounting software. You are able to do all of the same functions as any of their competitors.
  • Navigating through the system could be a little easier. For the most part, it is intuitive, but it looks so different from what people are used to seeing that if I had to make one improvement, it would be that.
  • I haven't had to use their subscription support, but I heard it's a little expensive.
  • I do wish that it was a little easier to transfer data from one accounting system to another. I realize why software companies like QuickBooks make this more difficult, because their clients would jump ship immediately to more proficient programs like AccountEdge. But, there should be a easier way to migrate from one system to the next other than reentering all your transactions.
There seems to be more people looking for accounting software that is made to run on a Macintosh system. I think this is a good thing. Several decades ago I read an interview in Wired Magazine that said the future of the personal computing would gravitate to the service provider being responsible for security, hardware and software upgrades. Consumers would simply have a monitor in their homes that connected them to the internet and we would sign up for different needed services. This would make the service provider responsible for all the things that are frustrating and expensive for consumers to deal with now like; security issues, hardware upgrades, software updates, etc. This made sense to me and I do see things moving in that general direction. I feel like AccountEdge is well positioned to take this kind of a challenge on.
Read Linda Gonzales's full review
Amy Griffie, MBA profile photo
July 08, 2014

Priority AccountEdge Review: "Great Product With Few Shortfalls"

AccountEdge is used for all aspects of Griffie Electric from receivables, payables and payroll as well as general ledger reporting, taxes and banking. It satisfies the accounting needs of my small business fairly well. I say only fairly because there are things in past systems that I have not yet been able to find in this software. I'm still learning the ins and outs though so I'm sure there are things that I just haven't found yet.
  • AccountEdge provides a great payroll tax service for reporting, paying and staying compliant through Aatrix.
  • I have recently found how to code payroll to different localities which is very beneficial working in the construction industry.
  • AccountEdge has a great tool for customizing forms such as invoices and checks.
  • I would love to be able to add a second company file to my AccountEdge program. I haven't found where to do this yet.
  • I would love to be able to set my reports to default to Cash Basis reporting instead of Accrual as I sometimes print without changing this and get erroneous reports.
  • I would like to have more functionality with making custom reports.
Payroll: while AccountEdge is good with reporting pay under different localities, I have not yet found how to accurately tax employees according to locality. I have only found one place to put the payroll tax codes in the system and there are only two separate local taxes that remain regardless of the locality chosen on the timecard.
Read Amy Griffie, MBA's full review
Dominic Mondi profile photo
July 11, 2014

Priority AccountEdge: "Short AccountEdge review"

It is being used in my father's printing company to process payables and receivables.
  • Very straightfoward to generate reports and track history
  • No complaints
I use to use it with a small printing business to manage all financial aspects of the company.
Read Dominic Mondi's full review
July 09, 2015

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge: a basic accounting solution"

We use AccountEdge as the accounting system for the entire company. Although it is used to maintain data for the entire company, I am the only person in the company who accesses the program on a regular basis. Occasionally I submit reports to my supervisor using AccountEdge, but that is the limit of any other employee's interaction with the program. It is used for tax reporting and financial analysis purposes.
  • AccountEdge is easy to learn. With only a little guidance, I managed to figure out how to use AccountEdge in under a week.
  • It is compatible with Mac and is comparable to the most common small business accounting software. Our company runs Macs and this was one of the few options available to us.
  • It has a partnership with our payroll company, so the annual fee is waived.
  • There is a limited amount of control: this is a broad weakness.
  • AccountEdge doesn't make it easy to fix entries, there can be errors when trying to undo an entry that prevent you from doing so.
  • Bookkeeping is a hassle. It doesn't have an option for default settings when recording sales/expenses and requires that.
  • Limitations to the rules for importing and exporting sales and ledgers. Although it has a place to import bank statements and it has a method to import sales, the importing features are severely limited.
  • The network edition is very slow.
I would not recommend this program to others in the accounting field. It might be useful for other small companies that don't need to run financials for any situation other than tax purposes and is cheaper than any other options. Cost is the main reason I could see this program being chosen over a more popular accounting solution.
July 22, 2014

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge for small businesses"

The office employees (3 to 4) at a small custom frame company used the software to generate quotes, invoices, and keep track of payments. There was a part-time bookkeeper who used the software most frequently, but all office employees used AccountEdge on a daily basis.
  • Flexibility of payment terms. These were very easy to change as needed.
  • The quote function was helpful for long and detailed framing orders so that they could be written up once and converted into an invoice at the completion of a job.
  • For balance due the client records were very easy to sort through alphabetically, by amount due, chronologically by invoice date, etc.
  • You have an option to add a "discount" to invoices, and we would insert a negative value to generate a surcharge for rush orders. This generated confusion with our clients since the column read "discount", so perhaps AccountEdge can generate a surcharge column option.
  • NYC has a consolidated tax rate (8.875%), but AccountEdge would often use the default NY State tax of 4%. There did not seem to be a function to universally apply a NYC tax rate to all records. It was tedious to update all of our client records to use the NYC tax rate instead of NY State.
It is well suited to small businesses in my opinion.
July 11, 2014

Priority AccountEdge Review: "AccountEdge: Big Tool for a Small Business"

It is a very small business, so AccountEdge is being used across the board in all departments. Uses include bookkeeping, AR/AP, invoicing, maintaining customer information, and sales. AccountEdge helps to keep all company and customer data organized in one location.
  • Because AccountEdge has so many different uses, we are able to carry out every step of a sale in one single program. Everything from order placement, to invoicing/billing, to balancing accounts.
  • AccountEdge is very user friendly. It is laid out in a way that is very easy to learn and simple to understand.
  • AccountEdge is very well supported. Any time that we had problems with the program we were able to get a hold of someone to help us fix it.
  • There are no integration options for printing shipping labels. It would be a useful feature to provide so that small companies that are using the product for the entire order-placing process would no longer need to use a second program to print labels.
  • The user interface is simple to use, but is very outdated. AccountEdge could use a make-over.
  • As far as Inventory Control goes, the system is very basic. It would be nice to see some improvements that allow for better manageability of inventory levels for a retail company.
AccountEdge is a great tool for a small businesses. It allows you to maintain nearly every part of your business from a single, user-friendly interface. I would highly recommend this program to small business owners that are trying to simplify their business without sacrificing time and money. If you are looking for a way to bring all of your business applications together into one, easy-to-use program, then AccountEdge might be right for you.

Pay calculation (5)
Benefit plan administration (3)
Direct deposit files (3)
Salary revision and increment management (4)
Reimbursement management (2)
Plug-ins (2)
6.5
Role-based user permissions (6)
Dashboards (3)
Time tracking (3)
Multi-currency support (3)
Multi-division support (1)
Regulations compliance (1)
Electronic tax filing (3)
5.0
Location management (3)
Manufacturing module (2)
Pricing (4)
Order entry (4)
Credit card processing (4)
Cost of goods sold (5)
6.6

About Priority AccountEdge

AccountEdge Pro is a complete small business accounting and management solution for a Mac or Windows office, with everything users need to make sales and purchases, run payroll, track and build inventory, bill for time, and manage contacts.

The vendor says business can do the following with AccountEdge Pro:

Invoicing & Quotes

Create quotes, orders, and invoices for services, time, or items sold. Process payments on orders and invoices.

Banking

Spend and receive money, prepare bank deposits and electronic payments, print checks, and reconcile accounts.

Purchase Orders

Create and track your purchase orders and bills. Receive items, pay bills, and send payment notifications.

Time Billing

Bill for your activities based on customer, employee, or activity billing rates. Track employee hours with timesheets.

Pay Your Employees

Pay your employees directly, or sign up for Full Service Payroll. Keep track of vacation and sick time, 401K, and health care deductions.

Inventory

Track item locations, variations, and sell online. Build kits from individual items. Keep track of item details.

Sell Online

Sell items online with Shopify. Sync existing inventory items for sale online and download online orders directly to AccountEdge. No re-entry of data required.

AccountEdge Cloud

AccountEdge Cloud is a browser-based web application that allows users to create quotes, orders and invoices for items and activities.

Priority AccountEdge Features

General Ledger and Configurable Accounting Features
Has featureAccounts payable
Has featureAccounts receivable
Does not have featureCash management
Has featureBank reconciliation
Has featureExpense management
Has featureTime tracking
Does not have featureFixed asset management
Has featureMulti-currency support
Has featureMulti-division support
Has featureRegulations compliance
Has featureElectronic tax filing
Does not have featureSelf-service portal
Does not have featureGlobal Financial Support
Does not have featurePrimary and Secondary Ledgers
Does not have featureIntercompany Accounting
Does not have featureLocalizations
Does not have featureJournals and Reconciliations
Does not have featureEnterprise Accounting
Order Management Features
Has featurePricing
Has featureOrder entry
Has featureCredit card processing
Has featureCost of goods sold
Does not have featureOrder Orchestration
Does not have featureEnd-to-end order visibility
Does not have featureOrder exception Resolution
Payroll Management Features
Has featurePay calculation
Has featureBenefit plan administration
Has featureDirect deposit files
Has featureSalary revision and increment management
Has featureReimbursement management
Reporting & Analytics Features
Has featureDashboards
Has featureStandard reports
Has featureCustom reports
Customization Features
Does not have featureAPI for custom integration
Has featurePlug-ins
Security Features
Has featureRole-based user permissions
Does not have featureSingle sign-on capability
Does not have featureMulti-factor authentication
Has featureUser-level audit trail
Accounting Firm BPO Features Features
Does not have featureBranded client dashboards
Does not have featureClient data roll-up capabilities
Does not have featureClient data consolidation for benchmarking
Does not have featureConfigurable alerts
Does not have featureBilling bypass
Does not have featureClient template cloning
Does not have featureSingle sign-on
Does not have featureConfigurable client onboarding questions
Does not have featureCross-client workflow management
Does not have featureIndustry-specific versioning
Does not have featureLegacy system data migration

Priority AccountEdge Screenshots

Priority AccountEdge Integrations

Priority AccountEdge Competitors

AccountEdge is available to new customers for $399. Optional product upgrades are released every year for $159 single-user upgrade or $249 multi-user upgrade.

Priority AccountEdge Customer Size Distribution

Enterprises (> 500 employees)Enterprises (> 500 employees)

Priority AccountEdge Support Options