Aliens to the rescue!
Updated December 28, 2017
Aliens to the rescue!
Manager, Information Security
PriceMetrix IncComputer Software, 51-200 employees
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with AlienVault USM
We are primarily using the product as our SIEM system to correlate logs across our infrastructure and provide useful analysis on potential threats and anomalies. We also use the built in vulnerability scanning, IDS and asset management functions as a complement to our existing vulnerability/IDS/asset management systems. With this level of intelligence, it helps us determine what course of action to take to an incident and assists us in prioritization.
- Log correlation is excellent and on par with other more expensive solutions.
- Ease of use is a big plus.
- Initial setup was simple and quick.
- The OTX threat intelligence is a great complement to our other threat intelligence feeds to ensure we have as many 'eyes' out there informing us of all the potentially malicious threat actors out there.
- There are a couple of things that can only be done through the CLI and unless you're familiar with the CLI, there may be a large learning curve for some.
- The vulnerability scanner lacks a number of advanced features that other solutions have which make it simpler and more efficient to manage.
- Plugins are limited (although they are adding more as time goes on). If you need a plugin that is not available you will need to create one on your own which requires modification of a number of files and can be daunting for someone new to the platform.
Based on our requirements, budget and the goals we had set, the AlienVault USM was a perfect fit when compared to the other solutions we considered.
AlienVault Unified Security Management is a perfect system for small to medium sized deployments. I could see some challenges with larger deployments that would require additional time and effort to get it functioning appropriately, but it definitely can be done. As with any procurement, I would recommend you look at your own environment and your goals when sizing up the different solutions out there and select the most appropriate solution.
Using AlienVault USM
AlienVault USM Support
I believe they can do a better job at understanding the problem via a phone call when a support ticket is created, rather than going through email. It would help to resolve issues quicker and provider better customer satisfaction.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Difficult to get immediate help
Need to explain problems multiple times
Yes - The AlienVault USM is an integral part of our security architecture so we see the value in paying for support.
Yes - Yes, although it would've been quicker if the support person had just called me rather than trying to communicate via email.