Overall Satisfaction with AppDynamics
We are using it to monitor our nodejs environments. We want to understand as we develop our code and new methods to understand the impact on performance and view the process timings. We also want to clearly see if there are memory leaks. We want a single pane of glass to visualize all pieces of the environment. We tried to use Logic Monitor but it was limited in its abilities initially and required a lot of customization to give a limited view into our application environments.
- execution time and percentage for process stack
- clear monitoring of memory usage and details to help troubleshoot
- application flow maps give a good picture of the inter-dependencies in the app
- Synergy with Logic Monitor which we use for our infrastructure monitoring.
- a fair amount of continual configuration to prevent false positives
- There are a lot of technologies that App Dynamics covers and documentation is a bit of a weak spot in finding clear documentation, configuring dashboards, etc.
- dynamic performance setpoints based on load levels
- auto-discovery and mapping
- Full stack analysis
- total and percentage execution times
- Immediate ROI in finding many performance gains, immediate customer improvement in response time
- Deeper insight into long term issues such as slow memory leaks
We actually have different development teams using both of these tools currently. They are both very good at providing application monitoring. They in some ways have the same flaws. App Dynamics seems very focused on the end-to-end evaluation of the application and New Relic seems more focused on end-user metrics. New Relic is easier to configure but App Dynamics offers more automated monitoring setpoints which is a big plus.
Do you think AppDynamics delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with AppDynamics's feature set?
Did AppDynamics live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of AppDynamics go as expected?
Would you buy AppDynamics again?
It handles auto-monitoring / configuring a dynamic performance set point that doesn't require manual configuration and the perspective is more end to end which from one perspective is good because you get a view of the whole application end to end but there is less focus than on actual response time to the end-user and detailed breakdown which is in some sense the ultimate purpose of performance monitoring.
AppDynamics Feature Ratings
30 - Application Engineers, UI developers, Systems Engineers, monitoring engineers, Managers
- process stack timing/monitoring
- memory leak monitoring
- overall performance metrics and deviation due to code changes.
- Finding code issues that were unknown at the time
- trace monitoring to show detailed changes to the code and their effects
- We are looking to expand it to other development stacks for other product lines and standardize it as our app monitoring solution
- want to create closer synergies between Logic Monitor and App Dynamics for correlating events.
- potentially use it for new kubernetes environment monitoring.