Overall Satisfaction with Asigra
We use Asigra to backup our internal systems but we are also a reseller of Asigra. As a reseller we run a public backup and recovery service cloud and also implement private clouds for organizations that can't use public cloud services because of internal and or outside rules/regulations. We use Asigra to typically replace tape backup infrastructure at client and partner sites.
- Asigra does a number of things well. First, it's a cross-platform data backup and recovery solution. This means you can use the same software to backup Microsoft, Linux, OS X and VMs. The same software can be used for servers, desktops and mobile devices which helps to smooth the delivery process as their are less moving parts.
- Key strengths include it's Agentless backup and recovery platform. As most people know when using traditional backup software an agent needs to be installed on each device you want to backup up - not so with Asigra. Software agents that consumes local CPU cycles to do data de-duplication, compression and encryption are not required to backup devices using Asigra. This saves a lot of time and effort and also makes POCs (proof-of-concepts) during the sales cycle much easier.
- Recent support for cloud services like Office365, Google, Salesforce and others provides a lot of service flexibility.
- One of the areas that we feel Asigra needs to address is software localization. Asigra's backup and recovery software is very granular and takes time to understand but with only three languages supported (English, Chinese and German) it makes it more difficult to implement and support.
- Error reporting (logs) can be difficult to understand. Obviously if a backup set doesn't complete or an error occurs during a process its best to be able to trouble-shoot quickly and efficiently. This is an area that we'd like to see Asigra improve upon.
- We view Asigra as having a positive impact on our business. Over the years we have supported many many different kinds of backup and recovery tools and most have too many holes to build your business around.
- In any sales cycle you hate to be eliminated early on because you can't address a client's technical requirement. With Asigra this almost never happens which means you always make the short list and by then it's less about technology and more about the economics of a deal.
- We use proof-of-concepts regularly during the sales cycle. As the Arigra technology is agentless we never really have to bother the client to install software on the target devices and no reboots are required. This makes getting the client up and running quickly very easy. Most software that we've used in the past just isn't built this way.
We've used Acronis, ARCserve, BackupExec, Code42, BackupAssist, LiveVault, and many others. Asigra stands head and shoulders above the rest with it's ability to support a variety of different operating systems and applications. Plus being agentless is a huge advantage.
Asigra develops it's data backup and recovery platform for service providers. It's not shrink wrap software like other backup solutions that you can purchase and implement. Typically, I would not recommend the Asigra to a small office/home office (SOHO) as it's much more of a enterprise solution.