Overall Satisfaction with Cisco Catalyst Switches
We resell and support all types of business and we are using Catalyst switches in most networks to segment traffic, route, and apply security policies. They provide us the ability to remotely manage and segment customer traffic. It also provides great troubleshooting when needed. Catalyst switches are stable and reliable.
- They provide the ability to segment traffic
- They provide the ability to apply security to certain VLAN's when needed
- Troubleshooting is easy with interface outputs and mirror ports
- The ability to easily do packet captures on the cli would be handy
- I struggle with the log timestamps relative to the actual time on the machine
- The ability to put control plane ACL's would be nice rather than having to upgrade for vulnerabilities
- Catalyst switches are generally good for many years and are reliable. Generally they are only replaced when they become end of life or new feature sets are needed.
- It has a very negative impact when Cisco doesn't support switches for a very long life span.
yes, we have a hardening template we customize all of our switches with resulting in a more secure configuration than one right out of the box. We remotely manage everything so that functionality is a must for us and allows us to serve clients remotely with ease.